Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

my ucpa experience in chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Hi snowheads,
Some of you may remember i put up a post about 3 weeks ago asking for suggestions on how to do a low budget ski hol for myself only.
I would like to thank all the kind people who replied and based on your advice i booked up to go to chamonix stopping in a ucpa hostel.
i booked the holiday through action outdoors who supplied the transfer to and from geneva airport which went fairly smoothly (had to wait for another flight which was delayed about 1 hr).
I was very pleased with the accomodation and the food was great , you could even make youself a packed lunch so as to get the most from your skiing. As i mentioned i went on my own but quickly met up with lots of people including French,English,Spanish,Russian,Swedish and German. Incidently, i found myself sitting in on the welcome meeting for the swedish holiday makers,thinking to myself gosh my french is worse than i thought until i announced i could not understand a word and was told i was in the wrong place.
I had a fantastic time the conditions were good lots of sunshine but not much fresh snow i also had full time lessons in with the deal which were acceptable (the group ranged from 14 to 8 ) however the french instuctor was good and friendly and obviously enjoyed his work.
The only problem i encountered was a mistake which seems to have been made by go outdoors, who had somehow overbooked me in and my name was not on the list at the ucpa . I was informed of this on my second day as was told i may have to move to the other ucpa in Argentiere . i was obviously not happy with that and asked for a substantial refund if that was to happen...............it never did happen so i was left with the friends i had made and had a fantastic week. I would deffinately go again with the ucpa but would book directly through them just in case.

Thanks again for your help and i have made notes of the other possibilities that i was kindly given for future reference,

Salut,
curly
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I would deffinately go again with the ucpa but would book directly through them just in case.

that was the conclusion my daughter reached, too. Thanks for reporting back, glad it went well. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The school trip i run every year books directly with the UCPA. we undercut brochure prices by hundreds of pounds and the experience is always excellent. Its been a bit more expensive this year because of the euro rate but when we told the UCPA we were short of funds they gave us 4 places for free saving nearly £2500!! Staff are always superb from the instructors to the cooks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
curly,

glad you had a good time! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Curly - I'm really pleased you had a great time in Chamonix. I hear it is a really nice centre. I'm going to try Serre Chevalier next I think - heated outdoor pool at that one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
curly,

I'm glad you found something and enjoyed it and thanks for the report.

Finding good value skiing can be an issue for singles.

I wish I was young enough to qualify for UCPA, there's one in Val D'Isere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Before I turned 40 I stayed with UCPA 7 times. Can't recommend them enough.

I am not too sure how strict they are on the age limit. There were always people over 40 at the centres when I was there.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robnic,

It's my zimmer frame that gives it away.

There are loads of "Zimmers" in Austria which is why I can go there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I spoke to a few people about the age limit when i was there including a french guy who had been using ucpa for severall years ,
They all said that if you have used the ucpa before you hit your 40s it is not problem , i am now 40 and would hope to use them again.......just wish i had gone years ago.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I stayed at the Les2Alpes UCPA last week and I too had a fantastic time and made many friends from all over (France, Australia, Germany). The accomodation was very comfortable and clean, the food absolutely fantastic and pleantiful! And the ski intructors were better than the ESF ones i've had. I will definately stay with UCPA again! Hopefully in April! But even though i made loads of friends over there it was still good to know someone before arriving, so im off on my merry way to try and recruit a ski buddy...... any takers??? Puzzled Razz
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
glad you enjoyed it curly...i went to val last year with the UCPA (booking with them) and it was great. Go as much as you can and you'll save a fortune compared to normal ski holidays!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why is there an age limit? Will the EC's adoption of the new non-discrimination proposal mean they would not be allowed to have age limits?

Quote:
On the 2nd July 2008, the Commission adopted a proposal for a directive which provides for protection from discrimination on grounds of age, disability, sexual orientation and religion or belief beyond the workplace. This new directive would ensure equal treatment in the areas of social protection, including social security and health care, education and access to and supply of goods and services which are commercially available to the public, including housing.

From http://ec.europa.eu/social/main.jsp?langId=en&catId=89&newsId=373&furtherNews=yes
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From what I understand UCPA is now a not0for-profit organisation but the age guide is based on their original charter to promote outdoor sports to 'young' adults in france. But as previous posters have said, the rules are more relaxed now - especialy for regular visitors and those from outside France. There are certainly some 50+ residents in Val D every Xmas / New year. Action-outdoors can also help you negotiate the age barriers if a UCPA holiday is what you really want to do - they certainly helped with two of my friends at new year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey, could i have a link to the Chamonix UCPA website which i can book it through... myself and a friend are looking to go to Cham in a hostel for a cheap holiday but are having trouble booking it... any help would be greatful!
Cheers Adam
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adam_w_17, try this? http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=ucpa+chamonix&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
these all seem to include lessons... is there anything i can do about just booking to stay without the price of the lessons?
snow conditions
Has anyone done any of the off-piste or freeride trips they do to Cham? None of my friends I tend to ski with will venture remotely off-piste, I'm reluctant to ski too much big mountain stuff on my todd due to the obvious dangers and individual guides and snoworks-style-organized courses cost too much.
snow conditions
The UCPA off-piste weeks are pretty hardcore and you will spend most of the week deep i the backcountry (conditions allowing). You will be kitted out with transceivers and smart little backpacks with shovels etc. and will be put with a moniteur who is a qualified off-piste guide. If you are a good intermediate - excellent on-piste skier looking for a bit of a mixed on/off piste week, I would recommend Flaine UCPA. Many of their guides last year were ESF instructors and our 'confirme' group spent a good part of the week learning (or in my case failing to get it at all!) off-pisting techniques.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy