Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zardoz NotWax...

Poster: A snowHead
Hey Snowheads,

I'm just about to NotWax my skis, should i put it from tip to tip or leave under the bindings like you would do with normal wax. Sorry if thats a silly question!

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

leave under the bindings

Wot?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sure its not a surf board
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect avalon42 has seen a few to many cross-country ski how-to diagrams.

Tip to tip, A42.

Don't wipe them off, but leave the Z sitting on the bases with the bases up for a few hours or overnight.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, Thanks.

Maybe I missed something but I googled waxing skis and it said you should wax both ends of the skis but not the middle.

I'll put it all over and leave them then like you said!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
avalon42, as others have been intimating the whole ski base should be waxed. Spyderjon will no doubt be along soon and his website is extremely good for ski tuning information - www.jonsskituning.co.uk is the address. I've just bought some NotWax from him to cover my edges each time I leave my skis but will probably just leave the bases for normal waxing. Hope to hear how you get on!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As with wax... all over. I also Notwax before putting the wax on... this is a technique that has been used for some time. Zardoz is fantastic stuff, put on at the end of each day, wipe iver the edges and your wax will last for a whole week. Not to mention the effortless glide on the flat bits.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
avalon42 wrote:
comprex, Thanks.

Maybe I missed something but I googled waxing skis and it said you should wax both ends of the skis but not the middle.

That information is actually correct for beginner-level cross-country skis.

Scarpa, there's a new Zardoz Fluoro + hard wax. I think you'll like it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex... Cheers... will check that out.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If it saves anyone some time I spent a lot of time searching the web looking for the best deal on a Zardoz pocket puck early last year. At that time (don't know since), there was no-where that was cheaper to get it from inc. postage than from Spyderjon's web site as posted above.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarpa wrote:
As with wax... all over. I also Notwax before putting the wax on... this is a technique that has been used for some time. Zardoz is fantastic stuff, put on at the end of each day, wipe iver the edges and your wax will last for a whole week. Not to mention the effortless glide on the flat bits.

I also use Notwax, my base wax recently just about lasted for a 9 day trip, but never heard of applying before a hot-wax, not saying you're wrong , just never heard of this practice before.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kel, Zardoz describe this on their site and promote the practice. Apparently some racers used to apply the Zardoz onto a clean base and then wax over it. The product is advertised as being suitable for this. I also wipe over as well.
http://www.zardoznotwax.com/

Click on 'What is NOTwax', then on the left 'Using Notwax with wax'.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks guys, I obviously picked up on the wrong information.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
avalon42, No worries... there is so much info out there but only some of it works for each discipline. Well worth asking on the forum if you are unsure about any aspect. NOTwax rocks though... but you don't half go quickly Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How does the Zardoz stuff compare with the TOKO Express Pocket Universal Wax ? They sound similar to me.
ski holidays
pokemon, Zardoz is much much much MUCH better than the Toko stuff. I used Toko before I saw the Notwax light, but haven't used it since - it would have some effect for the first run after application, but that was it. It also stinks. Buy Notwax. Cool
snow conditions
vetski, smelly skis, would that clear the lift queues ? NehNeh
snow conditions
NotWax is great, I regularly use it along with conventional hot waxing. Any views on using Notwax alone? It would save a load of mess if it did the job.
latest report
pokemon, tragically, no - but it might knock you out while applying it. Kind of smells like Tippex thinner, but without the dreamy aftereffects. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I don't own skis but thought of taking some notwax with me when I hire, as it's easy to apply and leave overnight. My friend had some last year and he put some on my skis and it was very noticeable when i first went out on them. It seemed to last a couple of days but I guess it depends on the snow conditions.

On a related note I also thought of getting a pocket edge tuner to deburr the edges. Anyone got on thoughts on this ?
ski holidays
pokemon, both very good ideas
snow report
pokemon, yep, having an edge trick tool & some ZN is a good idea for hire skis.

uktrailmonster, ZN's info says that it's not designed as a long term wax wax substitute.

I rarely use ZN myself but that's cause my skis have had multiple waxings/hot box treatments.
snow report
spyderjon, thanks, I thought not, just wishful thinking.
ski holidays
spyderjon, thanks. What's the best edge tuning tool available thats relatively cheap ?

How will I know the edge angle of the hire ski and will a tool buy be able to deburr at that angle ?

I can imagine if I asked in the shop I'd just get a shrug of the shoulders based on my experience of ski hire shops rolling eyes
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
I rarely use ZN myself but that's cause my skis have had multiple waxings/hot box treatments.

Do you hotwax during a week away? That's probably not practical for me or others, so would ZN 'top up' during a week away....

regards,

Greg
snow report
kitenski, That's what I generally use NotWax for. It's certainly a lot better than not topping up.
snow report
kitenski, uktrailmonster, Zardoz NW can get you a bit more slide as a 'top up' but it really doesn't last on the bases very long when used that way; it is made from lubricating oil like is used in vacuum pumps with a bit of antirusting agent added. It is not designed to harden up when applied.

There are liquid waxes that harden up after application (wax in a volatile, evaporating solvent), but I may I recommend something else entirely?

Take a soft universal solid wax. Crayon it onto the bases. Take a cork and really work the wax into them until you see a swirly, glassy, oily, sheen. Then take a small nylon brush and brush the bases out.

Bingo- small package to carry, no heat, better durability and better protection for your bases than just plain Zardoz NW. If you miss Zardoz slide, add NW afterwards (or use the Zardoz Fluoro + I mentioned above).
ski holidays
comprex, Good idea with the cork, but luckily I can just leave my wax iron out in the apartment
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
uktrailmonster, if you're at Big White, the iron will be far more better than cork and ZN both, for almost all the winter.
ski holidays
Yep, I only use ZN as an additional top up and rust inhibitor. Just curious what ZN would be like on its own
I normally use Dominator Zoom hot wax from spyderjon
ski holidays
Do you guys generally top up using notwax after everyday??
ski holidays
barthez1980, it -does- include a rust inhibitor.

Wiping down the edges and the bases near the edges just after the last run is done is pretty much a no-brainer.

I think a lot of people use -too much- ZNw per application. Once the felt pad included with the puck is saturated, it takes maybe one drop per pair skis.

Full disclosure: Zardoz give me stuff.
ski holidays
And it doesn't evaporate from the felt pad, so once saturated the felt pad stays wet for quite a few applications. I just follow the instructions and drip about a 3rd of the bottle onto the pad initially and then just top it up whenever it starts to look dry. The instructions on the puck say it's good for around 15 applications. I'd say that's about right for average skis.
snow report
Where can I get some?
snow report
Where can I get some?
snow conditions
barthez1980, www.jonsskituning.co.uk spyderjon's website, ordered myself some off him last night Very Happy
snow report
Quote:
Take a soft universal solid wax. Crayon it onto the bases. Take a cork and really work the wax into them until you see a swirly, glassy, oily, sheen. Then take a small nylon brush and brush the bases out.

spyderjon, have you got any of this kind of wax so I could do as comprex suggests? I'd like to get some and an edge thingy by next Fri, but when I look at your site, I don't know what I need! Scott Punishers and Volkl Attiva S5s. Ta chuck.
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
spyderjon wrote:

Do you hotwax during a week away? That's probably not practical for me or others, so would ZN 'top up' during a week away....

regards,

Greg

kitenski, no I don't hotwax during the week but my skis are so saturated (half a dozen hot box treatments) I could probably get 3 weeks out of them in good conditions Cool. ZN is designed for exactly that, namely top-up's during the week. I find it lasts about half a day per application. Some, like Scarpa & many dryslope racers, iron it in with their normal wax etc.

Good advice from comprex re many people using too much, but I'm not complaining wink

pokemon, the best bit of kit for rental ski fettling would be an angle adjustable Edge Trick c/w alu-oxide & diamond stone.

Apply a bit of marker pen across the side edge then use the tool to polish off the pen. If it polishes off the full width of the edge then the angle is set correctly. If it just take a sliver of pen off one side or another then adjust the angle & re-try.
ski holidays
vetski, if you're using two pairs of skis for a few weeks a season it would pay you to learn how to do your own maintenance.
snow report
spyderjon, I know. But Notts is a long way away...they'll be OK for my 1st week at the end of Jan, and then 1st week of Feb I'll be with family in Austria, and I usually get my uncle to do them! I'll drop you a line on your site and you can tell me what I need for a few basics. All at very reasonable prices, IIRC? Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy