Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time in Soll, Austria any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Newbie here to snowheads and off on the 24th Jan for ski holiday in Soll and this will be our first time going to Austria.

Basically there will be 10 of us, mixed ability from intermediates to expert and mixed ages but no one younger than 15. We are staying at the Hotel Tyrol and have everything booked apart from ski school basically after any advice, good tips, things not to do, places to eat and drink, good runs etc etc etc

Any help greatfully received

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads, tonsky, Soll is a great place, particularly for a group. Nightlife is good, so's the skiing.

Places to drink: The Whisky Muhle Very Happy
Eat: Pepper Steak in the Postwirt is great Very Happy

If you have nervous intermediates the run back to base under the main lift can be a nightmare in the afternoons. Stay above Hochsoll and everything will be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tonsky, not much hard skiing for real experts in the Ski Welt, but lunch oppurtunites are 2nd to none so it's swings and...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks ever so much telford Mike that is great advice as we are nervous intermediates so will definately bear that in mind about the run back to base
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thats okay our 3 experts like hard reds and a few blacks so im sure we can find something to entertain them

and thankyou to you both for eating and drinking recommendations any help gratefully received
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You can search you know - this thread has it covered:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1129252&highlight=soll#1129252

PS I def didn't mean the run home, guess it must have been the blue, it was on the way to Scheffau - I remember from the top of the chair you could see an obvious OP route from the top of Hohe Salve. The only long Black I remember (but I am sl hazy!) is top-bottom into Scheffau, but the area has now been extended & I think there is hard stuff in Westendorf direction. Soll-Going & rtn was a full day anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tonsky,

Apres: Salven Stadl at the bottom of the gondola but across the road.
Or the sports bar further in the centre (name says it all). We spent hours there last year playing Jenga with jagermeister and Stroh80 penalties!

Ski: the snow tends to be the best towards Scheffau, but it also fairly busy. If not Westendorf, especially with the new link, has good snow as well...

Restaurants:plenty of decent ones in town, including one that does an out of this world T-bone steak but the name escapes me now...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have at least one massive Apple Strudel each day...with lots of cream
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Avoid the farmers schnapps rolling eyes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tonsky, Leave your ski's and boots in Edingers, the shop is under the main Gondola. You can also hire gear from there.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
drkpower, the finest Apple Strudel i've ever had was somewhere in the Skiwelt, pretty sure it was on the run back to Ellmau... few years back tho so cant remember!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ooooooooooooooooo apply strudel i love apply strudel sounds like im gonna have to do some extra runs to burn off all those strudel calories hehe

thankyou so much for all your help i am taking it all down for when we go

we are going throuh Neilson and have pre booked ski rental so i am hoping it is the place under the gondola

thanks again Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tonsky, me and the OH are staying in the Tyrol the same week booked through Neilson’s, we have been to Soll before but not ventured to far on the slopes, hoping to get around more of the area this time. Our son stayed at the Tyrol last year he gave a good review of the food and service. Soll is smaller than you would think but it is a great place to go IMO. The Salven Stadl is a must for Apres and live music. Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
vegas pitch thanks ever so much do you have any distinctive ski wear or anything so i can say hello?

do you know about the ski rental and lift passes with neilson i.e. where and when

are you going from gatwick at all?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tonsky, not been with Neilson to Soll before, however if they are like other TO's you get your lift pass on the coach and a voucher of some sort for the ski hire, there are various ski hire places, again I don't know which one Neilson uses, I have my own gear. We are on a 7am flight from Birmingham to Salzburg. I will be wearing a white and black rip curl jacket. I am sure I read that if you hire your ski's with Neilson's they give you a free ticket to keep your gear in the garage near the gondola. It is normally about 6 euro's. Being as it is a bit of a walk this is where I always leave my gear. See you there Smile
snow conditions
brilliant vegas pitch thanks for all the tips

We are on the 14.20 flight from gatwick so think we will get to the hotel about 8pm at night.

I have a white oneil jacket, black oneil sallopettes and bright yellow ski boots, once all of us are there there will be 10 of us, 2 of them younger adults at 15 and 17 so i am sure you will be able to find us. Look out for 2 hats one bright green and one pink with white fluff on top thats my boyfriend and one of our friends they might help you find us and i hope we do so we can say hello

bring on the snow i say
latest report
tonsky wrote:
I have a white oneil jacket, black oneil sallopettes and bright yellow ski boots

Style Police Alert !!! Shocked
snow report
i know i know the yellow boots dont really match but they were the only colour they did and way too comfy not to purchase, better than rental boots anyday so please let me off hehehe Blush
snow report
Hi tonsky, 6 of us are off to Soll at feb half term, just booked it so very excited, let us know how you get on and where's good to eat etc.............. Little Angel
ski holidays
Going to Soll on the 20th February (yes, a Friday) for the sixth or seventh year. We don't go for a full week just Friday until Tuesday, although still manage to get in four and a half days skiing (and drinking).

Places to drink: Salven Stadl (great live music) or The Whisky Muhle (although the night club part does tend to be full of 18 year old locals with attitude)
Eat: Any of the steaks in the Postwirt or the Italian on the main road just down from the Salven Stadl (great raw beef as a starter; forgot what called now)
Ski Hire: Edingers (excellent friendly service)

Probaly skied most of the Skiwelt now down to the villages (Ellmau, Scheffau, Itter). Just be careful you don't get caught in one of the villages and not be able to get back to Soll or you will have an expensive taxi ride.

Also be careful on the final run down to Soll at the end of the day. Have skied it early in the day and much more enjoyable

Great resort.
snow conditions
thankyou powerkiter and everybody else for your great advice will definately be trying out the bars and restaurants you recommend Smile

Zobo no problem at all ill report when i get back for you
snow conditions
ill be there 7th feb 09 for a week im 23 since none of the lads are going this year, im taking my little bro 14. on his first skiing hol. venturing into the unknown i guess as he has not had that many lessons but im sure with a little bit of coaching hell be fine. any one there then?? afer all some snows better than no snow!!
snow conditions
Clive5 - do you know if there are secure lockers at Edingers, my brother.....god love him! has bought himself an expensive pair of apres boots and doesn't fancy leaving them on the boot racks all day, like we have done in previous places we have been to?

We have pre booked our ski's from there, many thanks Puzzled
ski holidays
Zobo, I think there are some lockers there but I could not swear to it.
latest report
tonsky, Welcome to Snowheads snowHead

Since you say it's your first time to Austria, you may find this thread on the food available in Austrian Mountain restaurants useful. Madeye-Smiley

If you've burnt off a lot of calories skiing and want some carbo loading at lunchtime try Germknödel mit VanilleSauce for dessert!

latest report
There are lockers at Edingers, just by the rear entrance/ exit to the main gondola. If I remember correctly they are 1 euro a day which you get back at the end.
snow report
Thank you Powerkiter, thats great.....can't wait to go, its snowing by the look of the webcam today Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Zobo, We are out there at the same time, if you fancy meeting up for a drink. I will be in the Salvenstadl for apri ski on the 14th.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Clive5 - Are you there after then? We don't arrive till 16th - 23rd Feb, but would love to meet a fellow snowhead
latest report
avoid large women with visible moustaches Laughing
ski holidays
Its ok, I am not large and I'll make sure I shave beforehand
latest report
Zobo, Yes we are there until the 23rd as well.
latest report
Cool Clive5, yeah will meet up for a bevy or 2 with our party, are you in the Salvenstadl end of most days? How will I know you?
snow conditions
Zobo, I will be in there apri ski most nights. Ask Klause behind the bar for me, or Justin who does the outside bar. If you give me a day I'll make sure I'm in there. Don't worry I am not trying to make a date I will be with my girlfriend and my 18 year old daughter.
snow conditions
May very well hold you to that, I will be with hubby, brother and 3 children, Cheers
ski holidays
thankyou so much Alistair pink for the food recommendation that is brilliant

its snowing and i cant wait roll on Satruday
snow report
Powerkiter wrote:
There are lockers at Edingers, just by the rear entrance/ exit to the main gondola. If I remember correctly they are 1 euro a day which you get back at the end.

Maybe that was some special deal, but they charged me 14 euros for six days, and they certainly didn't give it back. Well worth it, though. I pitied those poor people lugging their gear on to the bus every day!
ski holidays
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but what was the Hotel Tyrol like?

Cheers, Pete
snow report
Regarding runs in the skiwelt. Try the run down to Itter. The 8 man chair on the backside of the HoheSalve and the run below the funicular railway to Ellmau,
latest report
@murdocgj, Check the date of the thread, @tonsky, will be in an old folks home by now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy