Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best way to get from Grenoble Airport to Courcheval?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey everyone, first time posting here, and hopefully you can be of some assistance!

I've been searching the net for what seems like hours now, trying to find a reasonably cheap transfer, and cant find anything below 700 euro. We have a group of five, and was wondering what to you think is the best way of getting there. Is it a viable option to hire a car with snow chians, which is a good deal chaper than the 700 transfers, if I dont have any experience driving in harsh snow conditions, given that Im from Ireland, and neither do I have any knowledge of equipping the chains. Out of interest has anyone drove this route themselves, and what can you advise as to the actual condition of the roads, is equipping the chains essential?

We arrive in goodtime on sat 21 Feb, around 11:40, so we have all day in order to make it to the resort, and ideas?!
Thanks for any help!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The most annoying thing about hiring a car from Grenoble is that none of Holiday Autos' suppliers are open on Saturdays, at least not when I tried to book they weren't.

We always do the car hire thing, and have never been unlucky enough to have needed chains anywhere ever, which might be a statistical anomaly, but I've learnt to be a tiny bit cavalier about that whole issue now.

That said, I did once accidentally stick a hired Punto into a 4-wheel drift round an icy hairpin, and only regained control inches away from the barrier-free precipice at the apex.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the quick reply paulio, seems like you had a pretty hairy moment on that apex! I have managed to find Avis, who will rent a people carrier like a scenic for £360 on the dates, so with the rate of the euro, its a good deal cheaper than transfers... the only thing I'm just not sure about how the drive to the resort would be lol..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry that my response wasn't exactly all that useful though...

Welcome to snowHeads, by the way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jason_uk, Hi, welcome to snowHead 's.

I would say hiring a car would be your cheapest option, try www.auto-europe.co.uk, fairly good prices for the size of vehicle you'll need.

As for snowchains.... we have driven 4 times and only needed to put chains on this Christmas just gone, and that was only for the drive up to our apartment(wouldn't have needed them at all if we had had a frontwheel drive car). IME, the snowploughs upto and around French resorts seem to do a superb job. Hope you get everything sorted and have a fab trip. wink snowHead Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I've learnt to be a tiny bit cavalier about that whole issue now.

people who only spend a few days a year on the approach roads to Alpine resorts have a very good chance of getting away with it - you only need chains on a small minority of days. But when you need them you will need them very badly, and it's common for police to stop vehicles without them.

You must have chains, though you will probably not use them. If the weather forecast is such that you might well need them, it's wise to practice putting them on somewhere like a supermarket carpark, rather than battle for the first time in a laybye with a foot of snow. There are plenty of chains on snowheads about how to put chains on - it's not rocket science. Snowploughs do indeed do a great job but in a heavy snowfall you will have several inches of snow on a road in between the frequent passes by the snowploughs.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know precisely all of this, but - you know how it is when faced with ticking the box for an extra £40 on the Hertz website.

The words 'ah, sod it' spring quite effortlessly into one's mind.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the input guys, have decided to go for the cheapest option which is renting, and just hope that we don't need to put on the chains! Also means we can load up on food/booze at a supermarket on the way Smile I have checked auto europe, and they are cheaper than avis, but don't seem to have the option to get chains as an extra, whereas avis do... so will probably just go for avis, cant wait now to get over there, just about a month to go!! Anyone been to courcheval before? from what I hear the pistes are good and extensive, anyone know much about the night life?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just got this link from another snowHead www.carrentals.co.uk some very good prices on there. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy