Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon Axendo 8 & 9 with prolink bindings, any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I got given 2 sets of skis from a house clearance, 2 days after returning from Verbier! A set of Salomon Axendo 8's and a set of Salomon Axendo 9's both with prolink bindings and look to be in good nick. After researching, they were very good skis for intermediates back in 1998, so they could be upto 10 years old.

My problem is that I haven't a clue about ski suitability, fitting etc and whether it's worthwhile trying to use them. I'm thinking of using them for myself and daughter (16) and have only ever hired budget skiis for my last 3 trips.

I'm an intermediate and my daughter did her first lessons at Verbier, so the questions are:

Whether it's worthwhile taking them on my next trip or has ski technology moved on too much even compared with budget rental skis?

We'll save money on hiring but will we benefit from using them?

How much do you typically pay on budget airlines to carry skis?

How does our height factor in the suitability of skis?

Also, if it's worthwhile, I was gunna take them to the Chill Factore in Manchester to try them out, will they adjust the bindings and just provide boots?

Hope you can help
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Technology has moved on, even in rental skis...

You are better off hiring, budget airlines make it quite expensive to take a ski bag.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Funnily enough I have Axendo 9s and my wife has Axendo 8s.

In the days before children we used to go skiing about three times a season and often skied a different resort on the last day (closer to the airport to max ski time). For us then it was worthwhile having our own skis, including the hassle/cost of flying with them and having them serviced. We took a break from skiing when the triplets came along but since going back have always hired skis.

I do have an urge to get them down from the attic again and give them a run out. I just want to know if they're a noticeablely worse ski than currently available or just different. I suppose you've got to assume that 10years of ski design changes will result in a more pleasureable ride.

I guess you know that they're longer than current skis and narrower but do have a side-cut. They were kind of from the couple of years when we were switching from the old long straight skis to short fat waisetd ones. So they have some characteristics of both. If I remember rightly they were referred to at the time as 'parabolics' rather than 'carvers'.

My memory of them is that, on a well-made piste they're fast as stink. On the down side they're not much kop in powder and can be a bit unwieldy in bumps/crud.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
polgster wrote:
I got given 2 sets of skis from a house clearance, 2 days after returning from Verbier! A set of Salomon Axendo 8's and a set of Salomon Axendo 9's both with prolink bindings and look to be in good nick. After researching, they were very good skis for intermediates back in 1998, so they could be upto 10 years old.

They were ok. Heavy and clunky bindings though.

Quote:

My problem is that I haven't a clue about ski suitability, fitting etc and whether it's worthwhile trying to use them. I'm thinking of using them for myself and daughter (16) and have only ever hired budget skiis for my last 3 trips.

No, don't do it.

First, the bindings have to be adjusted to your boots and even finding someone who knows what to do with Prolink can be tricky. That system was made redundant with the introduction of Axe/Poweraxe.

Second, the skis are designed to be used for a different style of skiing than most schools have taught since about 2002, and you could wind up -having- to learn what would on modern gear be called bad habits (like picking up the inside ski).

No joke, they really are that outmoded, someone on a different forum made the comparison

straight skis = black and white television
these = early colour Decca
current = flat panel plasma high def

Quote:

Also, if it's worthwhile, I was gunna take them to the Chill Factore in Manchester to try them out, will they adjust the bindings and just provide boots?

Hope you can help

Get your own boots before you ask anyone to adjust these. If I was to ski these on a lark, I'd get rid of the bindings and use something lighter.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the responses, as I only ski every 2 years it looks like they'll be no use and I'll keep on hiring.

We just flew to Turin with Ryaniar to get to Verbier and it only cost £26 return, and they charge £30 each way to take skis so the cost benefits are dwindling further.

I might use them to decorate my games room !
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy