Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Apres Skiing in Niseko

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm staying solo in Hirafu Village from 7-15th of Feb 2009. I stayed there very briefly last season as well but due to time constraints and the company I was with I didn't get the chance to check out the apres skiing.

If anyone has any tips for the following I'd be most appreciative:
- Bars, particularly with live music and good party scene;
- Good ramen. I'm not that fond of a lot of Japanese cuisine but I absolutely love ramen and its brethren;
- Onsen. I've only been to the one at Prince Hirafutei;
- Good maps of the area, including Kutchan (I hear they have regular buses between Niseko & Kutchan). The only ones I have are from Powderlife magazine and don't seem to be that detailed;
- Any other tips or info you think might be handy for a 30-something bloke on an 8 night trip to Niseko.

Cheers
Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ordinary_Skiier, I visited Niseko for the first time last season and was very impressed with the powder quantity and quality - super dry, fluffy and a lot of it everyday!!

As for apre ski - Higashiyama and Annapuri are both not very lively at all if that is what you are looking for. Hirafy is definitely more lively, but even then it really depends what you are looking for as it is rather a differetn scene to that of the typical European apre ski scene.

Ah, Ramen...how I do love the Japanese ramen! The best place, hands down, in all of Niseko is a restuarant at the bottom of the Hanazono ski area. It gets very busy so make sure that you have either an early luch or a late lunch to avoid the crowds.

The only onsen that I visited was in the Prince Higashiyama Hotel (now the Hilton) and it was very good after a hard day on the slopes.

There are maps of the area but to be honest you won't really need one as the area is fairly small and the local buses that take you all over Niseko (including Kutchan) and very clearly signed and obvious in their use.

As for tips...I would recommend that if it is fresh tracks and deep powder you are after then you really must make the effort to get up early enough to get the first gondola and head straight for the top. There are endless routes and lines to choose from and a huge selection of linking lines all the way down whether it be trees, bowls etc. Hiring a guide for a day would also be advisable if you don't know the area very well as they will take you to and show you the best backcountry locations and where to go to be guaranteed fresh tracks even latter on in the day!

I will be going back for the first week of February and am massively excited to be going back to powder heaven which is pretty much guaranteed everyday in Niseko.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the tips Hornster. I'll definitely try the ramen you mentioned. I'll in staying in Hirafu from 7-15 Feb so it sounds like I'll be there right after you. Feel free to update me with more tips after your visit.

Regarding the Hilton onsen, do you know if that's open to visitors, or is it for guests only? This isn't the 1st time I've heard great things about it and I fancy a visit to check it out.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a public onsen at the bottom on the village which is very fine - about 5 min walk down hill from Seiko Mart.

And the food is incredible in Niseko - experiment - there's more than ramen, altho the ramen's can be quite wonderful. For example, check out the Japanese pancake restaurant. Yum ...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do you mean okonomiyaki? I've heard of it but I've never had a chance to try it. I'll definitely give that and the public onsen a go.

Thanks mate!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ordinary_Skiier, visitors are allowed to use the hotel onsen as well. However, that was last year whe n it wasn't owned by the Hilton group of hotels, but I would be very surprised if they had changed their policy as there were coach loads of japanese tourists/locals everyday using the onsen.

I'll put a write-up on this forum when I get back so that you can get a feel for the snow conditions and what is happening this year in Niseko.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hornster wrote:
Ordinary_Skiier
I'll put a write-up on this forum when I get back so that you can get a feel for the snow conditions and what is happening this year in Niseko.

I'm looking forward to it. In the meantime have a great trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy