Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it getting more dangerous on the pistes?

Poster: A snowHead
One of the biggest problems I have with boarders is that they have a tendency to fall down... lie there for a bit... then just get up and go without looking uphill

They seem to think that having just fallen they are not starting down hill... but having stopped they are... this makes them totally unpredictable... they may sit there for another 20minutes - or pop up any time... I want some tennis balls with "look before starting downhill" printed on them to throw at them Wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, you dressing down for the trip then Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
I wonder if such people were to voluntarily wear the equivalent of an L plate or a tabbard of a known colour, whether that would encourage other more experienced snow users to give them a wider berth where possible.

I think that's a good idea, but it would never happen. A lot of skiers, unfortunately, go because it's fashionable and probably wouldn't wear an L plate or an equivalent. Plus, the people who cause most of the accidents don't want to be seen as a learner, even though they probably should be.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lizzard wrote:
uktrailmonster, having spent the past ten years working with such 'yoof', I maintain that your stats are rubbish. Ratio of skiers to boarders has always been about 50:50 and is quite possibly changing in favour of skis as the 'nuskool' thang becomes the cool fashion. Idiot dangerous behaviour is generally the preserve of young males regardless of their mode of transport.

What stats? You just made your own assumptions. Where I ski, the majority of teenagers are on boards. I don't have a problem with that, but they are the group I watch out for most closely on the slopes regarding potential collisions. I'm also sticking with my other point that mixing snowboarders and skiers on the same slopes increases the chances of collisions due to their differing lines and sighting. That and generally more crowded slopes of course. When the ratio of skiers to boarders was 100:0 (it hasn't always been 50:50) you never had the now very common issue of a boarder sweeping across your line with their back toward you. These are not hard stats, just my own personal observations over many years. I'm not anti-snowboarding at all, but I am generally more wary of them than other skiers. You can pretend they don't have any issues if you like.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Where I ski, the majority of teenagers are on boards. I don't have a problem with that, but they are the group I watch out for most closely on the slopes regarding potential collisions.

I have to say that I agree with that. I have never been in a collision thankfully, but I've come close a few times, each of which was involving a boarder. Some of that may be my lack of knowledge as a non-boarder of the blind spot over their shoulder but as each of these near incidents happened with the boarder approaching me from behind, I doubt this is that case, and I'm now always very wary when I hear that scraping noise of a board approaching. It does seem to me generally that boarders have a harder time slowing or changing direction than skiers. I may be wrong but that seems to be the case in my experience.

I have nothing against boarders (but I do like the rivalry banter! Toofy Grin), and I'm certainly not suggesting that skiers are without fault. I was never taught rules like stopping below someone, or even general mountain rules at ski school. I think that generally there seems to be a lacking in manners and mountain etiquette, and that's what is causing a significant amount of accidents.

Some accidents are just that, and as such inevitable, but if everyone was aware of their surroundings, gave each other enough space (difficult on home runs I know) and generally knew and followed the basic mountain rules, then there would be a drastic reduction in accidents, injuries and ultimately deaths.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Once upon a time skiing was the preserve of a privileged elite who could afford it. Boarders didn't exist, chavs hadn't been invented and Russians stayed at home. The pistes were empty save for the fortunate few who had mastered the fiendishly difficult task of getting down the hill on inch wide planks that were 7 feet long.

On the rare occasions that two such individuals should brush against each other, moving at their stately 4 kph, it would be a case of 'Oh I'm awfully sorry Jeremy, please do let me buy you a snifter at the next watering hole'

Times change. Deal with it. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Other than a week long course with a BASI 1 (was BASI 1 originally the top level?) instructor 4 years ago when safety formed part of the course, no other instructor has discussed any mountain rules.

Every TO I have been with has included basic mountain rules in their welcome packs. Ski Esprit made particular reference to basic mountain safety in their chalet welcome.

When I started skiing I joined the SKGB and through various topics I garnered quite a lot of useful info.

Suggestion: When someone joins snowHeads, would it be a good idea to notify new members of basic mountain rules, or direct them to a sticky with that information?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Suggestion: When someone joins snowHeads, would it be a good idea to notify new members of basic mountain rules, or direct them to a sticky with that information?

Definately, I think that's a great idea. The only problem is the rest of the Mickey Mouse skiers and snowboarders who don't have the common sense to come on this forum! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How about you must pass a mountain etiquette test to purchase a lift pass?!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
2000overdrive wrote:
It does seem to me generally that boarders have a harder time slowing or changing direction than skiers. I may be wrong but that seems to be the case in my experience.

For sure you can stop or change direction more quickly on skis. Good snowboarders compensate for this with no problems, but the less experienced can soon become dangerous. As can out of control skiers of course.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
c'mon people, everyone knows snowboarding yoooves aren't the most dangerous things on the slopes - this honour is reserved for Italian or Marseillaise snowlerbladers wearing jester hats Skullie
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thebronsonite wrote:

After you, sir! snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thebronsonite wrote:

No, but it might be useful to hand out a basic guide with each pass with a warning that passes could be confiscated for flagrant abuse of the code.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chasseur, Actually a lot of piste maps I have seen DO have the basic 'rules of the piste' printed somewhere on them, and a warning along the lines you suggest.

The rules are also shown on dirty great signs at many lift stations, usually in the form of er, 'amusing' cartoons showing the consequences of not following them.

I think some individuals (generally classed as 'yooves) probably treat them with the same (lack of) respect that they apply to most rules. rolling eyes

c'est la vie.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Axsman, yes I have seen them on maps, though having just looked at a Zillertal example, there is nothing at all about "rules of the piste", although there is plenty of room. Given some of the responses on this thread I'm not sure it's just 'yooves' who are ignorant of the rules - not wishing to sound pompous or pious though Little Angel

Some chairlift pylons have advice notices - perhaps another idea?
latest report
I'm steadfast in my belief that it's not people who are wantonly disrespectful of the rules, or 'da yoot' who cause the most accidents. It's people who have made a mistake whilst doing something that's quite hard.

The brazen idiot category do exist, but I reckon ordinary fallible humans outnumber them.
ski holidays
Chasseur wrote:

Some chairlift pylons have advice notices - perhaps another idea?

I particularly like the one on Teepee at Sunshine Village reminding you that jumping off the chair halfway up is frowned upon.
ski holidays
paulio, Not sure about that. I take it you drive a car? In which case you'll note there are lots of brazen idiots around. It's not really any different on the slopes, except you don't even need a license Smile
latest report
Yes there are, but driving's easier than skiing/boarding.

I've been crashed into or somehow caused to fall by every demographic imaginable on the slopes I reckon - yes, including some definite 'maverick arsehole' types, and I've done a few desparately stupid things myself, far sillier than anything I'd do in my car (despite some posters imagining me to be a boy racer in a tricked up Nova who does 80mph through housing estates in some other thread from ages ago).

PLUS, a lot of the time you shout at somebody in your car, or beep your horn, or mutter 'stupid cock' under your breath, I STILL reckon that in most of those cases the person in the other cockpit wasn't some odious cavalier punk laughing in the face of 'the man', it's usually just someone who has made a bad decision for one reason or another. Like 'not being infallible', for example.

I think so anyway.
ski holidays
I wouldn't say driving is easier, but there are less beginners about. IME most accidents (road or piste) involve 1 innocent party and 1 stupid idiot. In the case of skiing/boarding, I agree that incompetence is probably a big factor too.
ski holidays
Quote:
The two chalet staff where we stayed in April were both boarders as it happens, and they had no qualms about going onto steep off-piste, alone (not even keeping sight of one another when in a group) and with relatively lowly technique, at level 4 avy risk and didn't even know what a transceiver was - they were fascinated to look at ours. Scary scary

Lizzard wrote:
eng_ch, those ones are dangerous largely to themselves, which is their own problem.

Although this may be perceived as a minor point, I don't entirely agree there, Lizzard.

I'd say a team that has to try and rescue them when they trigger an avalanche, or seriously hurt themselves in a high avalanche risk area are in a fair amount of unnecessary danger.

As far as more dangerous slopes these days go, I'd say after reading everyone's posts and reflecting on it briefly, that the sheer weight of traffic at certain times is the crux of the matter.

I'm really very new to skiing, and only have 8 days on snow, but fortunately skied in Colorado at the start of Dec (Breck, Vail, Keystone, A-basin), and it was relatively quiet. In that time I only saw one collision, and it was a reckless boarder doing stuff he shouldn't have been on a piste right by the top of a lift where there was heavy traffic.

There were many times in the week where I got a bit out of control due to my lack of experience. Had there been many people around, the chances are I might well have taken someone out. Luckily I got away with it every time.

Other factors like reckless yoofs, and people attempting terrain they shouldn't be exacerbate the problem IMO, but aren't the main cause.
snow report
I've never really felt threatened on the piste (although some tard at the EoSB came within inches of colliding with me at mach 2 at the bottom of Portette got me thinking), but I've witnessed some atrocious and truly dangerous behaviour in the park. So many people have no concept of park etiquette and do utterly stupid things such as cutting you up, not leaving any sort of gap between them and the person in front of them on jumps, sitting on the landing for years when they fall, etc etc etc. I can cope with speeding idiots on the piste, but the park truly scares me sometimes Shocked
snow report
Lizzard,
Quote:

your stats are rubbish. Ratio of skiers to boarders has always been about 50:50

....pot/kettle/black?!

The ratio of skiers to boarders in europe has never been anything like 50/50 in my 23 years of skiing and snowboarding, and as Peter S says, if anything the number of boarders is getting even less, with the new wide skis removing most of the previous benefits of snowboarding which saw it grow so much in the '90s. Note that I am not having a go at boards, I love mine but compared to skis they are really just toys.
ski holidays
Axsman wrote:
Once upon a time skiing was the preserve of a privileged elite who could afford it. Boarders didn't exist, chavs hadn't been invented and Russians stayed at home. The pistes were empty save for the fortunate few who had mastered the fiendishly difficult task of getting down the hill on inch wide planks that were 7 feet long.
On the rare occasions that two such individuals should brush against each other, moving at their stately 4 kph, it would be a case of 'Oh I'm awfully sorry Jeremy, please do let me buy you a snifter at the next watering hole'
Oh yes, the good old days ! Laughing Sounds like an extract from 'On the Piste' Laughing
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
Axsman wrote:
Oh yes, the good old days ! Laughing Sounds like an extract from 'On the Piste' Laughing

Truth in that parody though.
ski holidays
slikedges, Cool

(of course I don't personally remember such times, being only about 5 back then) Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Axsman, neither do I but I've been told as much and can well imagine it!
latest report
Can you all please let me know which resorts you all go skiing/boarding in, so I can avoid them in future?

After 20 years skiing, whilst having skied in many resorts across Europe, the US, Canada and indeed Africa, I have never had the misfortune to have had an accident involving another person. I have seen them in front of me, and heard the carnage further up a slope behind me, but am always careful enough to look after number one, and to ensure that I do everything I can to ensure that I am not placed in a position of peril.

So, to summarise, let he who is without sin cast the first stone Twisted Evil
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Guvnor, Well I can (almost) match that. It's rather less than 20 years ( I only started in my 40's, but I have only bumped into anyone else once. This was in my first week of skiing, and the lady in question and I were both slowly traversing a gentle green from opposite directions, both in snow ploughs, and both approaching the middle of the piste together. We both noticed each other and both realised that we were destined to 'meet', but neither had the presence of mind to do anything about it.

The inevitable impact was low speed, resulting in a sort of mutual hug rather than a crash, and we both apologised profusely in a very British sort of way.

Other than that I have a clear record. Little Angel
ski holidays
When we were in the Grand Massif at New Year the pistes seemed far busier than I'd ever known them there (we have a property there and go quite a lot). We noticed there seemed to be a proliferation of young, typically male, 'doody' types in boarder style gear on twin tips treating the pistes like the park and paying no heed whatsoever to those around them.
There's a reason that male drivers in the 18 - 25 age range have high insurance premiums - they drive excessively fast, often without thought for other road users and are more likely to have accidents (this is well known) and that sort of attitude translates to how they use the pistes. I know that this is controversial and I'm sure you've probably discussed it a million times but I think there needs to be piste patrols that have the power to confiscate the lift passes of those in serious breach of the rules.
latest report
The last time I was crashed into (where it wasn't my fault, which it has been once or twice), it was a middle aged woman, and on the same holiday my dad got completely wiped out from behind (no sniggering at the back) by a French bloke who looked about 70.
snow conditions
skimum wrote:
I know that this is controversial and I'm sure you've probably discussed it a million times but I think there needs to be piste patrols that have the power to confiscate the lift passes of those in serious breach of the rules.

These already exist
snow report
uktrailmonster, well they must hide themselves very well coz I've never seen any evidence of them in that role i.e policing, anywhere I've skied.
snow report
skimum wrote:
a proliferation of young, typically male, 'doody' types in boarder style gear on twin tips treating the pistes like the park and paying no heed whatsoever to those around them.

That's ageist, sexist , anti-boarder fashionist ! Shocked
Keep up the good work wink
ski holidays
skimum, Certainly happens in the US/Canada. Try there!
latest report
skimum wrote:
When we were in the Grand Massif at New Year the pistes seemed far busier than I'd ever known them there (we have a property there and go quite a lot). We noticed there seemed to be a proliferation of young, typically male, 'doody' types in boarder style gear on twin tips treating the pistes like the park and paying no heed whatsoever to those around them.
There's a reason that male drivers in the 18 - 25 age range have high insurance premiums - they drive excessively fast, often without thought for other road users and are more likely to have accidents (this is well known) and that sort of attitude translates to how they use the pistes. I know that this is controversial and I'm sure you've probably discussed it a million times but I think there needs to be piste patrols that have the power to confiscate the lift passes of those in serious breach of the rules.

Comedy post. Parody-esque.

Personally it's old people that scare me most on the roads/pistes. Ignorant of the gradual degradation of their spacial awareness and motor function they wreak havoc and seem to think it's everyone else's fault (signified by a wag of the fist/ski pole as they leave the bewildered victims in their wake).

That said I'm a "male, 'doody' types in boarder style gear on twin tips treating the pistes like the park and paying no heed whatsoever to those around them" and therefore a tad biased. I'll also be in the Grand Massif area come the first week of Feb so, skimum, beware! Mwahahaha
latest report
Tommy4681, Age and cynicism will defeat yoof and optimism every time. Be afraid, be very afraid. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

P.S. your reactions may be quicker, and your bodies more resilient, but our insurance cover is better and cheaper Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Tommy4681, just an observation......I'm not against young, male 'doody' types, I've got a son and a nephew that fit that description and I agree that there are scary piste/road users in all age ranges. However this was the group that I was most aware/nervous of. Smile
snow report
Tommy4681, but the accident stats (ski or car) don't bear your view out at all.

As a bloke who pranged a few motors aged 18-25 - the "its all the old gits who are to blame" mentality, comes along with the poor risk assessment and lack of patience of the younger bloke.

Good luck btw Toofy Grin
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, Not in France AFAIK after the case in Val D. Our pisteurs can't do anything about it, neither can instructors, and there aren't enough skiing policemen. In any case they're just as likely to get a mouthful or be threatened as the rest of us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy