Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Åre trip details. Swedish snow.

Poster: A snowHead
I have spoken to my friend and she gave me the following information. She just booked a flight to Östersund Airport (flying from London) which is approx 95k from the town.

Our apartments were called Klockstapein and were in the main part of town.

I did a bit of quick googling and found some useful info...

Neilson are actually doing an Åre trip for £345.
http://www.neilson.co.uk/Ski-Holiday-Deals.aspx#chalet

There are airport transfer firms such as:
http://www.flygtaxi.se/products/transfer/are/;jsessionid=FAE715F0316D0A9DE256235E646CAA89

or

Taxi service from Östersund Airport to Åre
Åre Taxi will provide a special shuttle service to take you, and a trailer for your bike from Östersund airport, to Åre.

Prices are:
From 1 to 4 people, total price = 1070 SEK (€117)
From 5 to 8 people total price = 1270 (€139)

The journey takes about an hour. So for 4 people travelling, it will cost 270 SEK (27 Euro) each. If you are not traveling in a group, inform Åre Taxi that you are willing to 'Share' the ride - it might be possible to bundle you together with another person so you can split the fare and save some money.

To make a booking, email Lennart info@taxi-are.se or call +46 (0)647 50149 with flight and arrival times.

http://en.arrivalguides.com/guide.php?dest=ARE&lang=en&part=essentialinformation
For transfers from Östersund Airport to Åre you can book a mountain transfer at the same time as you book your flight ticket, alternatively phone mountain transfer on +46 (0) 20 97 97 97. Flight transfer with Taxi Åre between Östersund and Åre/Duved costs 1150 kr for 1-4 persons, and 1350 kr for 5-8 persons. Phone +46 (0) 647 100 22 for more information. Länstrafiken in Jämtland also operates bus routes between Östersund and Åre. For more information go to www.lanstrafiken-z.se or phone +46 (0) 647 260 70. The distance between Östersund and Åre is about 10 kilometres. (Note - over 80k in fact - maybe typo).
Public transport Länstrafiken in Jämtland has buses that run between Åre and Duved and a lot of other locations in Åre municipality. For more information go to Phone: +46 (0) 647 260 70
Internet: www.lanstrafiken-z.se

Taxi Taxi Åre Phone: +46 (0) 647 100 22
Internet: www.taxi-are.se

Post PostenÅre Address: Årevägen 55
Phone: +46 (0) 647 520 35

Pharmacy Apoteket Åre Address: Åre Torg
Phone: +46 (0)771 450 450

Dentist Folktandvården Åre. Make an appointment.On-call dentist. Make an appointment. Address: Kurortsvägen 20
Phone: +46 (0) 647 166 30+46 (0) 63 15 33 00

Doctor Åre Hälsocentral Address: Kurortsvägen 20
Phone: +46 (0) 647 166 00

Telephone Country code: +46 Area code: 0647
Electricity 220v/50hz

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-01-09 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The distance they give between the airport and Åre seems to vary. The trip took just under an hour so I guess the 80k - 90k mark.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thomas Cook fly from Heathrow http://www.flycheapo.com/flights/ostersund/united-kingdom/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.flygtaxi.se/inactive/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tack så mycket Scarpa!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just tip. If you are goin to buy beer or spirits for consumption at apartments in Are, mind that there is one state owned shop called Sistembolaget next to Coop supermarket near railway station towards Are Bjornen.
Does not work on weekends and late evening.
In regular shops there are almost non alcoholic beers only.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Åre a few years back. Was pretty decent for a small resort. Went into a nightclub there... GORGEOUS women, really, really jaw-droppingly beautiful. Do they ban the ugly ones from going out or something? Beer in our hotel wasn't too bad, price-wise to be honest. Oh and the moose-burgers are nice!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cbr7, you encountered Systembolaget then......an interesting approach by the Government to try and 'curb' the so called drink problem in Sweden. It is a little strange for us Brits that you cannot buy anything stronger than kids beer in supermarkets (I think the limit is 1.5 or 2% alcohol maximum). But the Swedes have it sussed. You see them in the early evenings (mostly just after work) walking about with green carrier bags having visited the Systembolaget on the way home. The colour of the bags have now changed to blue but the approach is the same. I thought they they shut early on Saturday (lunchtime) and then closed completely on Sunday. Not ideal if you fancy a few spontaneous sherberts, but as with most things Swedish, planning is key

As for the price, yes more than the 4 cans of Asda's own special brand you can buy in Blighty, but hearing some of the horror stories coming out of mainland Europe, probably now becoming on par with other ski resorts. Norway is the expensive country when it comes to booze. Actually was able to find my absolute fave NZ Cloudy Bay wine in a Systembolaget in Uppsala cheaper (and easier) than I could in the UK

carled, you are right about the women, although it's a bit of a stereotype that they are all blonde, blue eyes, stunning........ok, there's a few that are dark haired, blue eyed and stunning too wink wink

Absolutely adore Sweden and given the chance I'd move out there tomorrow. It's one of Europe's best kept secrets and long may it remain so
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cbr7, And as it's past where I was staying it was a booger to walk to in ski boots (my friends hadn't made it down yet so I did a quick trip). We took wine boxes out in our cases to save on the booze... but they did have some nice wines there. One of the bars did free buffets if you buy a drink.. help yourself stuff, rice, spring rolls, chicken legs etc. And the raindeer steaks are mmmmmmmm Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My friends lad was the only one in his ski class... plus they had a guest instructor from Spain. So a 2 to 1 ratio. As Daniel is bilingual they spent a lot of time with him practicing instucting in English for the Spanish blokes benefit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sleipnir, Are is superb in april - good snow conditions and daytime turns a bit to polar day vision! wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cbr7 wrote:
Sleipnir, Are is superb in april - good snow conditions and daytime turns a bit to polar day vision! wink

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm gonna have to fire up my Swedish buddies to see if we can arrange a trip to Åre. Problem is that none of them alpine ski and only a couple ski cross country. A few years back one of them raced the Vasaloppet in Mora, for fun!, which is way way beyond me, although I could just out manage the blueberry soup (Blåbärssoppa) which is traditionally drunk wink

Although popular skiing venue, especially with the Stockholmers, which is a lot further south is Sälen. It's in the Dalarna region which is stunningly beautiful and where the Vasaloppet race traditionally starts (race ends in Mora)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Forgot to say - if anyone is interested in arranging a group snowHead type trip to Åre (or anywhere else in Sweden) absolutely count me in!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Åre - great place - went in 2007 and off again this year in March for my honeymoon
(thank god I taught my fiance to ski Happy)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We went to Are last year and had a great time. We stayed in the Brunkulla apartments near town and they were superb. 5 mins walk to town and ski bus stop or various lifts. Daughter skied at Are Bjornen, a 10 min bus ride away, a purpous built family area. It was fab and if you have a family and want ski to door then Bjornen's the place for you.

Snow was great and have no complaints, but it is expensive for food and to eat out.

We booked are accomodation through the following Swedish ski resorts portal

http://www.skistar.com

very useful and efficient site.
ski holidays
kyoto49 wrote:
We went to Are last year and had a great time. We stayed in the Brunkulla apartments near town and they were superb. 5 mins walk to town and ski bus stop or various lifts. Daughter skied at Are Bjornen, a 10 min bus ride away, a purpous built family area. It was fab and if you have a family and want ski to door then Bjornen's the place for you.

Snow was great and have no complaints, but it is expensive for food and to eat out.

We booked are accomodation through the following Swedish ski resorts portal

http://www.skistar.com

very useful and efficient site.

Glad to hear Brunkulla are good - that's where I'm booked...

Stayed in the Diplomat last time, which was fantastic although pricey.

Can't wait to go back. It's the FIS Audi thing in Åre the week I'm going, as well as the freestyle competition - should be great,

One thing I love about Sweden over France/Switzerland/Austria, etc, are the frozen lakes and skidoos.
snow report
I want to try moose hunting Laughing
ski holidays
While we were there we went out of a Are a couple of miles and my daughter got to 'kiss' the Moose, it was seriously funny, possibly the highlight of the holiday!

I also preferred Sweden to the Alps, everyone seemed to have more manners on the piste - especially compared to Kitz & St Johann where I was mown down from behind a few times!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy