Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying skis - first time buyer! (buy at resort vs in the UK)

Poster: A snowHead
Long story short, im at university planning on going on a uni run trip during easter (end of march). I have my own boots, but dont have my own skis.

With the uni trip, renting skis, boots & poles will cost me £85 which seems pointless as all i need is the skis, so id rather not buy equipment im not going to use. Instead id rather get my own skis.

However, iv never bought skis before so im ensure as how to start looking/where. Im a good intermediate skier, 82kg & nearly 6 ft. I spend most of my time on piste (all runs), and am a medium-fast skier.

Budget wise, being a student, is as low as possible. Im only after skis that will last me 2-3 seasons so i dont need anything spectacular, just modest skis to do the job!

Iv googled everything i can think of, but so far havnt found anything <£200 so i was wondering about buying them when im out there. End of March should be close to their end of season so does anyone think i would be able to get much sub £150? if not, can anyone think of a shop which sells decent cheap skis?

What about buying second hand/nearly new skis? Anything i should be carefull about? (aside from cracks, bad chips etc)

Know its a lot of questions but thanks in advance! Smile

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 12-01-09 21:02; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Andehh, I think these are a bargain

http://www.snowtrax.eu/proddetails.asp?idprod=1405
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks for the reply, i was hoping for something a tad closer to the <£150 mark, i cant really justify skis that expensive atm!

Smile

edit: am i being unreasonable in hoping to find semi-decent skis for less then £150?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andehh, welcome to snowHead

Don't forget about the ski carriage you may need to pay if you are flying, which can make the price of hiring the skis more cost effective especially if you are only skiing once each season. You should be able to just hire skis and poles.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You won't be able to get anything decent sub £150 out there, but might over here. Second hand is one option (ebay or one of the places like SkiZog selling off old racing skis), or something like the Orion range e.g. hyper-carve.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks Richard,

we are going via coach so getting skis there & back isnt a problem at all! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-2007-Orion-160cm-Twin-Tip-Carver-SKIS_W0QQitemZ120359706606QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16062QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-2007-Orion-163cm-Freestyle-Carver-SKIS_W0QQitemZ120359326815QQihZ002QQcategoryZ16062QQcmdZViewItem

Skis like the above 2 seem perfect to me. What sort of size do i need? Like i said im an inch or 2 short of 6ft, what sort of length/width would be suitable for me?

Iv also seen a lot of skis without bindings, how would i go about finding & sorting out bindings? Do skis match up with certain bindings or is it a matter of any ski any bindings, and just picking&mixing? Also for mid level bingings, what sort of price should i expect?

Many thanks guys, very helpful site! Smile

edit:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROSSIGNOL-OPEN-JUNGLE-SKIS-162cm-BINDINGS-NEW-CARVERS_W0QQitemZ300269208419QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN?hash=item300269208419&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

even skis like this seem slightly too good to be true?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Andehh, welcome to snowHead .

IMO the Rossis (169) are too short for you, as a good intermediate 6 footer.

I'd look at something 10cm+ longer (I'm the same size, weight & standard, although spend most of my time in the back country). Don't know much about Orions apart from the fact they're Bulgarian, not necessarily a bad thing, but....

Only thing to watch with bindings is the brake width, though this can be changed by a decent ski tech.

Fitting your own bindings is pretty easy though the process scares me a bit (drilling into my perfect skis....)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
really danjunk? 5'10 and 82kg seems about perfect for a 170 intermediate on piste carver to me...my 95kg 6ft2 boyfriend skies a 170 very sucessfully, and I'm down to a 160 despite being 5'9" and about the same weight. We both used to be on 180 but on modern skies there just isn't the need, unless you are heading offpiste.

in the future andehh you won't use them imo - carriage on planes is 25-50, servicing £20 or so a year it just never works out financially worthwhile for the hassle - so I wouldn't pay more than your one time hire costs. In the end I gave our 3 pairs away just to get them out of the house!

ajxx
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
a.j.,

In my opinion and, as I said, I spend most of my time in the backcountry so I probably do like skis a bit longer. I'd guess they had a turn radius of c15m and thats just too tight for me personally. Also IMO people shorten their ski lengths to gain control when they should probably be looking at lessons. Sets fuse, stands well back........

Also i've never heard of Rossignol open jungle, if you search 'em on google the only results are the advertised pair...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
no need to hide danjunk - I'm hard to offend wink I will admit to preferring an easy life so perhaps we are riding short - certainly when I go offpiste (rarely!) I got up at least one, probably two sizes. I do remember the good old days when my ski of choice was well over my head (and i was prefectly capable of turning them NehNeh ) but I can't say I aspire to those heights anymore Toofy Grin aj xx
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iv still got a minimum of 2 years after this still at uni, and with the ski trip a yearly thing im buying the skis for this year, next year & the year after that aswell. It works out cheaper in the long run rather then renting each year, esp as with my own ski boots & poles, it seems a waste to be forced to rent all 3 only to use the skis. iv tried asking about knocking the price down a bit if i just take the skis but they're not interested.

I still like the look of those Rossis, quite a bit especially at £100. Never having bought a ski im hesitant to put any money down though. Does the watseing (as in fat at the top, narrow at the binding, fat at the bottom) make much of a difference to price/stability etc? Would something liek the rossis below (or the ones i linked to above) be suitable for an intermediate fast skiier? Reviews seem hard to come by.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rossignol-Open-90-TD-ST-Carver-Skis-162cm-BINDINGS_W0QQitemZ290287520124QQihZ019QQcategoryZ16062QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

thanks again all
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Intermediate fast skier your height etc. similar to mine, 174-177 for a 17 metre radius ski, perhaps 165-170 for anything with a smaller radius. 162, just too short.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-Rossignol-X-Fight-4th-Carver-Skis-170cm-Bindings_W0QQitemZ300285426241QQihZ020QQcategoryZ16062QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

iv found these skis which i do like, but searching on the internet i can find much on the name - ''Rossignol X-Fight 400''. In the title it says its the ''Rossignol X-Fight 4th'', coudl they both be refering to this sky:
http://www.snowrental.net/skiing/ski-equipment/rossignol/2008/rossignol-x-fight-4.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andehh wrote:
iv still got a minimum of 2 years after this still at uni, and with the ski trip a yearly thing im buying the skis for this year, next year & the year after that aswell. It works out cheaper in the long run rather then renting each year, esp as with my own ski boots & poles, it seems a waste to be forced to rent all 3 only to use the skis. iv tried asking about knocking the price down a bit if i just take the skis but they're not interested.

You can always rent yourself when you get there, rather than taking the "deal" with your package.

Depending on where you are going, basic skis could be anything from about €35 upwards.

I just checked on the Sport2000 site for cheap (bareges) and expensive(Val D'isere) prices. The cheapest ones in Bareges are €30.75, with even their top level ("Diamond") being only €71, while in Val D'Isere, even the cheapest are €72 (apart from an absolute beginner pack at €49 inc boots)
snow report
Re Rossi Fight 4. Check the radius of the ski. It looks a little high. After switching from 21m to 17m this year I found that the smaller radius is about right for really enjoying shorter turns as well as cruising. Otherwise it looks OK.
ski holidays
http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/726/30/ says ski radius is 17m, so in the right range IMV. Still seems OK; no independent review though.
latest report
I had Rossi X-Fight 400 skis as my first skis, fine for then, but too soft and floppy once you get better - definitely a beginner/low intermediate ski. Myself and MrsS both have Orion skis for the dry slope, I have Hyper Carvs and she has Space Carbons, got those new for £160 each from www.skiorion.com and have been pleased with them, though we are using them just as plastic slope skis. They are both a better performance ski than the X-Fights.
snow report
Andehh, You're in Coventry? I've got a pair of K2 Axis XT's sat in my garage which are a great ski, which I could let you have for a song
snow conditions
I will be skiing at Val Thorens, for the week. Alex_Heney, where did you find those deals? I was told the deal we are getting with the trip is one of the best out there, and id struggle to find anything much cheaper.

Guvnor, yep im in Coventry, just beyond the Sky Dome from the city centre. What condition are the skis in? How long are they? Any pictures? Smile

thanks guys
ski holidays
Ski Republic have a two for one deal, so two of you could split the cost and hire basic skis for 45 euros each. That's about £40. Just google.

Tour operator prices are almost always a rip off.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Andehh,

www.snowrental.net amongst others do discounted deals with hire shops.
ski holidays
Andehh, apart from all the previous suggestions, many resorts have a second hand shop with great deals + many ski shops sell second hand skis. You could easily find a really good deal in resort as well.
snow report
Just to make things a little more difficult for me, iv found these Rossignoals on ebay. I like the look of them, but again i cant find many/any reviews for them at all. Has anybody heard of them, or have any advice on them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROSSIGNOL-OPEN-JUNGLE-SKIS-162cm-BINDINGS-NEW-CARVERS_W0QQitemZ300269208419QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_Skis_JN?hash=item300269208419&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1298|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

thanks again guys, ill figure this out eventually Neh Neh
latest report
Andehh, bought myt wife's skis from the same lot. Good to deal with and arrived quickly. Can't comment on skis though
latest report
Andehh wrote:
Just to make things a little more difficult for me, iv found these Rossignoals on ebay. I like the look of them, but again i cant find many/any reviews for them at all. Has anybody heard of them, or have any advice on them?

thanks again guys, ill figure this out eventually Neh Neh

I've been into see these people today, they are just down the road Smile dodgy looking place on an industrial estate but they guy is supremely helpful and I will be going back tomorrow to buy a pair of the 162 open jungles to take to glenshee on wednesday.

he explained I couldn't find any reviews as they are a special edition specifically for the french ski store, I forget who and they got some of the excess Smile
ski holidays
I see, thank you very much! I dont spose you could take a few pictures of the ski could you? iv googled for bigger pictures but struggled and im still on the fence about loving/hating the graphics on it! Neh Neh

cheers
ski holidays
confirmed I'm skiing wednesday so defo going back to buy a pair tomorrow..... should point out though, what isn't clear from the listing is this is skis and bindings, no-one said anything about the bingings being put on the skis, they charge an extra tenner for that particular privilege which I thought is a little cheeky but they are still very good value for money imho....

but sure, I'll take some pic's tomorrow when I get them home Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
many thanks mate, for me its a cross between the Jungle skis & The Rossi Zethys he sells aswell. Without sounding too cheeky, if they are out & on display i dont spose you could nab a few pictures of them aswell could you?

Thanks a lot mate, huge help to me! Smile
ski holidays
been in and order the jungles this morning, they are running about like nutters today so bindings won't be fitted until tomorrow AM, I'll stick my camera in my pocket tomorrow and ask if I can get pic's of the zethys for you Smile

what size of jungles were you looking at as the 170 have different graphics to the 162
snow conditions
Im ideally after 164ish (6ft, 82kg) so either work for me really, depends on which graphics i prefer!

Pics of both 164 & 170, and the zethys & ill love you forever! Laughing

Thanks again mate, really appreciate it! Very Happy
ski holidays
right matey, pm me you email address, I've got a stock list with prices and images which I can forward on to you, the open 90 162 isn't in there so here's a pic of the ones I've just got, I'm pretty pleased for the money just hoping there is some snow left at glenshee tomorrow!

snow report
oh btw, if anyone else wants the price list/pic's drop me a pm with your email address and I'll send them on Smile
snow report
My other half is a novice skier and we just paid 119 for a pair of Rossignol skis from Decathlon.
We are going twice this year at the moment and they have already paid for themselves against the hire cost.
I would get to one of these stores as they do have some bargains and as I said, they pay for themselves after two holidays.
snow report
well had the 162 "open Jungle" out in glenshee today, conditions were far from ideal, reports showing spring snow which today translated into a hard day on the slopes but having never skied on carvers before (always a narrow downhill type ski) they came as a bit of a shock, quite grabbie on the tails and not particularly edgey but once I got some tips from the guy I was with I got on a lot better and am pretty pleased with them...

not to shabby for £100 all in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy