Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bonneval sur Arc?

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this is the right place now that this bit of the form is "Resort Reviews and Trip Reports" but in the absence of somewhere better...

Anyone been? I see the occasional write up in French mags calling it a "spot freeride mythique" or somesuch. looks a bu99er to get to (presumably you can't drive there from Val d'Isere in winter) but it looks like the lifts might give access to some awesome terrain
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Arno,
I was there about 4 years ago at the end of the season. Was with family and basically family skiing.

Upper end of Maurienne valley is very attractive. You cannot drive from V D'I in winter though the skiing from the back of Le Fornet down is excellent but you need a chopper to return.

There is an excellent expanse of skiing from the top lift of a few hundred metres vertical. Below this is possible I think but careful navigation is essential as there are lots of cliffs in the area.

Area as a whole has a very small number of pistes and is a little fragmented due to the terrain. The area is meant to be great for day tours.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cheers T Bar. sounds like it may be worth a look
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, Great little ski area, some awesome off piste opportunities, with the right guide. Certainly worth a look if your in the Maurienne valley

As T Bar mentions, it is possible to ski from Val d'Isere down to Bonneval, but it will be one hell of a hike back up again.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
are there any guidebooks covering the area? i can feel a Haut Maurienne ski safari coming on... Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, Not sure about books, guess there will be some. If you need any specific info, I am out there week after next so may be able to assist.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
srobbo, if you happen to spot and remember the names of any off-piste/touring guide books (french language is fine) that would be very nice
expect there will be an "Editions Olizane" one but anything else would be cool
cheers
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, Just booked a big family trip down to Bonneval at the beginning of Avril. Looks like a great mix of a place. Hoping to squeeze a few cheeky mornings in...hors piste

Found this incredible couloir on YT,

http://youtube.com/v/mpWNcMjwjkk

straight off the lifts, untracked 1000m got to be - back to the village!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 12-01-12 18:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you stay at Val Cenis, then you can get a free bus up to Bonneval from VC. Quite high, from memory top lift is at 3000 M, and some good quiet pistes down, i think there are 12 pistes and about the same lifts from memory.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bus takes 30 mins approx
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Timbobaggins, We are staying in Bonneval at the bottom of the pistes Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you are serious about doing bonneval, i would stay in Val Cenis as a week at Bonneval would be too restrictive, and VC has some nice off piste as well
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timbobaggins, more of a family trip as there will be 4 kids aged 5,4,3 and 6 months!!!

bonneval looks perfect for this...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
norris, I've long wanted to visit. How are you going to get there?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w,
a long sweaty drive from Calais! just booked the tunnel. will be my little boys first trip to the Mountains Cool

staying at this place
http://www.wix.com/ladatcha/location-bonneval_sur_arc#
latest report
norris, that looks lovely.... snowHead
ski holidays
1000e for easter week, 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom - seems like great value compared to the mega resorts!
latest report
ask any local(Mauriennais) where he/she would like to live and majority will answer-Bonneval - piece quite off piste kind of La Grave of the Maurienne valley for sure.The old stone village has been Best in France few years back. " years ago it had 6m snowfall .Down to Bessans it is one of the best places for cross county skiing if you want to try and this endurance sport Cool
snow conditions
Arno We drove that way from Turin to Tignes one summer. Bonneval is very picturesque (old stone buildings etc) and Val Cenis, which is very close by, looked a pretty good ski area from what we could see - very decent vertical and a reasonable size, with part of the area in Italy.

As mentioned, both areas are very close to Val D'Isere but the road's closed in winter - you can see the slopes from the top of the Le Fornet area at Val D.

The area's been on our to do list since we passed through.
snow report
Col D'iseran is brilliant way to cross from maurienne valley (Le arc river into Tarentaise busy valley or back. Even better is you do it end or may or early June when you can ski on the Pastaia glacier(Val Disere) rather than going into Grant Motte Glacier.For the winter Bonneval is just picture postcard place -get your sbow boots though cos everywhere you go there is deep snow.
As for Valcenis it is pretty cold up there cos everything is North facing.One bit is brillint though-The first village -Termingnon with the waviey bits on top of the two drags and with the trple long fun park it is just brilliant.There you can have and ski flight where for about 30 minutes you see everithing from above-weather permiting.
snow conditions
Drove from Val d'Isere to Bonneval this afternoon, looked like some good terrain there. Had a wet and cold (3 degrees) picnic at Col d'Iseran.
latest report
Skied it a few times. Gentle, limited, but picturesque slopes in the valley; better higher up with great views. It can however get hit by high winds which scrape the snow from the exposed north facing slopes making one long for a rough day at a windy Scottish station!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy