Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new boots - lost toes

Poster: A snowHead
first pair of shiny new boots: two days in and snug as a bug until about six hours in each day, when I get numb / cramp on two middle toes on right foot, pain spreading to bit just below
okay again within minutes of taking them off

anyone got anz ideas how I can fix - ? stretches/ buckles done up wrong / just getting numb with cold (though itäs not too cold here) - change footbeds to flatter ones that came with the boots or find a bootfitter?

thanks..

(new boots rather than foots Embarassed long day)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
awol, You may be clenching your toes in an attempt to gain contol as your mucles tire.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
awol, I get this too towards the end of the day. The cramp is excruciating and the only way to take the pain away is to take the boot off, which is crap if you are on the hill. I usually take it as an indication to stop for the day. I have tried to not do my boots up a bit less ferociously this trip and that helped. A physio colleague of mine suggested that it is down to having restricted blood supply to a structure which is usually flexing and stretching at each step. You clamp it in a boot, then reduce its flexion and ultimately will end up with lactate build up, hence the cramp. That made sense to me. Scarpa's comment about clenching the toes also makes sense.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Exercising/stretching my feet/calves/ankles before putting on the boots in the morning helps me quite a lot, I see it as part of my warm up routine. After all, feet are not meant to being locked up in a fixed position all day long. if you need some more height for your toes then a bootfitter can shave down the footbed or the board on which the inner boot sits. Also, loosening some of the buckles whilst lifting can increase blood supply to the affected areas.

Don't forget that these are very new boots and the liner will need a few more days to be broken in...so maybe you can wait a bit longer with any irreversible boot adjusments.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Assuming you've got a 4 buckle boot how tight are the bottom 2 buckles?

I was told that they should be just tight enough that a slight bit of pressure applied with one finger can open and close them - definately not so tight that you need both hands to snap them shut.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks,

think you're all hit the nail on the head: I was at the very edge of my comfort zone in the afternoon on the first two days so was probably tensing my toes waz too much. Actually woke up 3am with another session of cramp last night (and did a fair bit of calf stretching). But sted of lunch break I had a mid morning stop and tea break today and was ok till the last lift. An instructor also suggested mid afternoon drink so if I suffer again Ill try stopping for a mini gluwein and loosening the boots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
awol, Let us know how you get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
awol, When you stop for lunch or refreshment, just loosen the boots completely, even take them off, and exercise the toes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa wrote:
awol, You may be clenching your toes in an attempt to gain contol as your mucles tire.

I do that. Like a crow hanging onto a wire.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
Like a crow hanging onto a wire.

Likewise Laughing . Apparently it's a reflex reaction to instability, handed down from our tree-dwelling simian ancestors. Very Planet of the Apes. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
strangely enough I found I was doing it for the 1st hour of skiing............. then a friend had a few stern words with me and all is well!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Funnily enough if you clench your toes it tends to put your weight back.

Go on try it now... stand up in a ski position (no one's looking right?) then clench your toes and see where your weight shifts... backseat Evil or Very Mad

Now do the opposite and instead of clenching your toes, lift your toes up off the floor... puts your weight forward. Toofy Grin

I find thinking about raising my toes in my boots helps me when skiing scary stuff when instinct is telling you to lean back.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
awol, Make sure that your footbeds actually fit in the shell. Try taking out the liner, remove the footbed from the liner and put it in the shell by itself. If you find any places where it is touching the shell then you might try trimming small amounts off the footbed.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I do that. Like a crow hanging onto a wire.

Probably not on enough brufen paulio, Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

An instructor also suggested mid afternoon drink so if I suffer again Ill try stopping for a mini gluwein

He was probably thinking you might be getting dehydrated - so possibly have a big glass of water with the gluhwein!
snow report
pam w, Yes. Less dehyrdating!
ski holidays
awol, I did an exercise with an instructor last season; ski with unclipped boots! It was very odd, but showed it could be done. The real benefit was to illustrate that I needn't tighten the boots as much as possible; just go with whatever felt comfortable Smile

Oh and the other thing that I find helps, is to take your boots off when you stop for lunch. (Quiet all those who don't stop for lunch!)
latest report
I went to a restaurant on a very cold day in Areches Beaufort one day to find a big wicker basket full of slipper things, next to the fire, so you could take boots off and walk around without getting feet wet. They also had hangers for jackets, on wires above the fire. Very civilized. And the French onion soup was good, too. It was so cold we did two runs, then in for a drink, all day!
snow conditions
vetski wrote:
Quote:
Like a crow hanging onto a wire.

Likewise Laughing . Apparently it's a reflex reaction to instability, handed down from our tree-dwelling simian ancestors. Very Planet of the Apes. Toofy Grin

When I come over all 'Planet of the Apes' I just wanna screw Helena Bonham Carter Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy