Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replacing boot liners

Poster: A snowHead
I add this with trepidation...

Can one replace bootliners if one is more than happy with the shell?

Stands back... Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and how would one know when liners need replacing?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MarjMJ,

Yes you definitely can. It's not a silly question but a good one because why pay for new boots if it's only the liners that need replacing.

There are a couple of other threads on this including one I started earlier today about "Remoulding Boot Liners".

Snow & Rock sell Zip Fit, however they're not cheap.

Our friendly Snowhead professionals will probably be along soon with more advice.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
MarjMJ, I have a pair of Zipfits in my Langes. Bought from CEM. Not cheap, but cheaper than a new pair of boots !
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MarjMJ, couple of options some cheaper than others

1 intuition, thermo form liner offers great warmth and comfort ~C~ £100
2 Zipfit liner warm, comfort and performance and can be moved to another shell when the time comes ~C~£180
3 PU foam injection, high performance can be cold depending on the foot ~C~ £160 & £200

all depends on the foot and the boot, i have all the above in stock with the exception of the PU foam whcih i cna order in if required
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all so far - it was the remolding thing that made me ask welshflyer, !

Higs,
Quote:

and how would one know when liners need replacing

Hypothetical question. Possibly the next one!

Thanks CEM. I have a prescription orthotic [overpronation, pes pancake... Smile ] which meant I didn't get my Nordica linings heat moulded though I could have had that done [the pod said it would destroy the FO]. Please don't tear your hair out at that one!

This is possibly a second question - how can I get linings heat moulded when it will kill the thing that means I don't get plantar fasciitis.

And while I am on this, I find that as the ski week progresses I have to progressively readjust clips. I guess this is down to plastic pliability, the liners heating and cooling and leg tissues getting compressed. Am I right?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
adjusting the clips sounds as though the liners are packing down as the week progresses

as for heat moulding the liner...no problem heat the liner then put the orthotic in then wear until cool, most shops heat the liner sin the shells then put your foot in, if you heat the liner either in or out the shel then add the footbed /orthotic then there should be no damage whatsoever, if that amount of heat does do damage than it is a pretty poor orthotic [putting the orthotic in the boot then heating it for 15mins WILL DESTROY pretty much anything other than a full carbon graphite device]

how well does your orthotic fit into the boot, did you upsize the boot to get the orthotic in, if so that may be some of the reason you are adjusting the clips so much as the week goes on
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, had no need to upsize the boots as the FO fits in snugly OK. I've had both the boots and FO for a few years, and am more than aware should have replaced FO ages ago, but you know how it goes... Embarassed Could it be the liners have had their day? And if I buy new liners, could I expect my local shop to heat mould them [given that it was so long ago that I bought the boots and don't have the receipts...]
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the new liners would be an aftermarket product as you cannot generally get the stock liner for old boots, based on that whoever sells you the liner would heat fit it
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, fine. Thanks for this advice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
CEM, interested that the Zipfit liner can be moved to another shell, as I was wondering about that. I think my shells are OK for the moment - you fitted some extra padding in round the ankle which did a good job of preventing the heel lift which was bothering me. but for the first time when I was skiing today I was wondering if the whole liner had now packed down too much (I have skied the best part of two seasons in the boots, but the shells don't seem to have any problem). It might just have been my rotten skiing though (I was trying to get same angle of edge on both skis and having some trouble, foot seemed a bit loose). Will try thicker socks tomorrow!

but if a zipfit liner would fit into a new shell, when I new one, might be worth thinking about in February, when we are at home.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So which is warmer do we think, Intuition or Zipfit?

Joe Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
TangoFiver, intuition is definately warmer, in fact it is about the warmest liner on the market
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is there any difference in the expected life of Intuition and Zip Fit?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
the zip fit will last 400+ skier days the intuition probably about 120ish [similar to a standard liner]
snow report
How do you know when the shells need replacing?

I have just been advised that boots only last 5-7 years (no matter how often you ski on them). Is this correct? I've had my Salomons for about 10 years, and admittedly they are no where near as comfortable as they used to be. Do I need to shell out (no pun intended) on a complete new pair?
snow report
MarjMJ, I offer this little nugget with more anticipation of a flaming reprisal than your opening post. wink

Anyway, here's some advice I was given (but not tried myself) to restore some bulk into packed-out liners when you would otherwise need to replace liners or dispose of boots.

Spray a few squirts of water with a plant sprayer into each liner then wrap each inside a damp pillowcase. Put into your tumbledryer on the lowest heat for just a few minutes so that they don't overheat and dry out completely. Put them back into your boots and insert feet. If they are bulkier than they were previously then you have a result. If not, then nothing lost.

I have two pairs of boots; some Scarpa tourers with a vibram sole and some very stiff Rossi racing jobbies. The Rossi's liners are just about EOL so this is an experiment that I will be trying out for myself fairly soon. Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy