Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Onion soup in 3 Valleys?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm heading to Courchevel in feb - can anyone recommend a lunchtime stop in the 3v that serves up a decent traditional French onion soup?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chez Alfred, just above Les Menuires. Nowhere else like it in the 3Vs, it's run by a couple who seem to be unaware of the prices charged elsewhere. A great place for an extended lunch stop with a real fire.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's one in Courchevel...

There is a drag lift marked as "difficult" and "experts only". About half way down the piste from that lift is a fantastic mountain restaurant. It was recommened to me, and was definitely worth the stop. Everones lunch was excellent, my onion soup was fantastic.

Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but will check the piste map and post back later...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
La Sitelle, on the Sitelle run in Meribel does a pretty good one
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chalet des Nieges, Les Menuires. The though of onion soup with caramelized onions, croutons, gruyere and Parmesan cheese and French bread is making my mouth water. 1 week to wait.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
my mother-in-law makes the bestest french onion soup in all of the world outside of france... Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richie_S, not the take-away gaff at plains des mains for sure...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 12-01-09 20:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
La Marmite du Géant by the Bruyères bubble lift - next door to the skating rink/ pool Les Menuires ---- delicious....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cfc5mu0 wrote:
La Marmite du Géant

Surely not... "The Giants Bovril"? what a name for a restaurant...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
red 27, Marmite was named after the pot - the big one on the Marmite label. I made some excellent French onion soup tonight - only two of us, and I used loads of onions and spent a good long time caramelising them, and grating some Beaufort cheese to stir in to serve. I had the world's most pathetic apology for a French onion soup in a place in Val Thorens - can't remember the name, but it was just below a long cruisy blue run which ended near the first of the chairlifts that takes you up to the glacier bit. A big bowl of indifferent stock with a few miserable bits of onion floating around in it. One to avoid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, I stand educated... What, may I ask, did you serve with that? Chips or toast? And did your guests have the basic good manners and common courtesy to sip silently from the far side of their spoons?

After your mouth-watering description of home-made I will never be able to face some commercially produced muck again
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My vote goes to La Grange at the bottom of the Grange chair in Les Menuires / St Martin.

Wonderfull huge bowl of onion soup with all the trimmings for about 6 Euro. My family and I love this restaurant. Great ambiance, prticularly if they've got the central log fire going and the staff are really friendly. Despite being a fairly big restaurant, you may need to book if you want lunch at the most popular (12 - 1) times during school holidays.

Will seek out Chez Alfred as mentioned above during my next visit though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
red 27, we had some toasted home-made bread. And there were only the two of us, so we slurped.... that melty stringy cheese is impossible to eat tidily.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w what a romantic image.... how did the evening end?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, have you ever seen the film where they started off with messy easting - Tom Jones, was it? Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy