Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you do a 360 turn on flat ground?

Poster: A snowHead
I was waiting in the queue at Chill Factor and saw this guy do a 360 degree turn, it looked really cool, but i never got the chance to ask him how it was done, also I was too far away to get a good look at his ski action.

just to clarify I mean a flat 360 turn, not one in the air.

I had a couple of goes myself, but just ended up doing a 180 turn and going down the slope backwards.

Please try and keep the instuctions simple (like my brain) not like; start with a triple salco, followed by a half barrel roll and finish with a double hockey stop.

Thanks Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bargainbill, well you could just go here... www.YourSkiCoach.com and the 360spin is in advanced edging IIRC
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's a lot easier if you have twin tips!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
little tiger, but we haven't got advanced edging yet, have we? My son and son-in-law do lots of 360s, and not on twin tips. They make it look super simple, but I've not mastered it. I can ski backwards on an easy piste but with loads of edge. It's the flat spin bit which gets me - I think that with old age comes too much giddiness. I can't even go on the roundabout in the park with my grandson these days without feeling immediately seasick. I look forward to advanced edging, but hope there's lots of going forwards bits in it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am sure we did this here a year or so back but cannot find it.

I am not brilliant at this but my kids like practicing it - keep skis as flat as you can, turn head over shoulder when going backwards then counter rotate to keep you turning, sometimes a small pole plant when going backwards can help induce rotation to 360.

I can only do it with any style in one direction...

This is probably all wrong though.

Someone will know.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, LOL

Yes plenty of going forwards... the spin is only one thing and it has hints for how to get there... I struggle with it too...I can easily do the first half... but have a tendency to stall at 180... Fred at Les Deux Alpes had me doing them just fine... but I only can do that with him atm...

I'm improving - determined to get them nailed down this season.... Turning head and "spotting" final direction does help the dizzy a lot... My bad foot alignment is definitely a deterent but as my boot are better now it should get easier...

Although I was dizzy for a day and a half after my first lesson with Fred (due to how my body learns)...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bargainbill, are you talking a carved 360 turn where the skier makes a big sweeping circular turn or a 360 spin, as if the skier is rotating around one point like a corkscrew and sliding his skis around?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, Oh and yes you are right Advanced Edging is in production still.... Someone keeps wandering off doing stuff like skiing with people Wink He is making good progress though... just a bit slower than before ski season started.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bargainbill, If you managed the 180 and faced backwards then you can go all the way around. How i think i do it (although an instructor or someone will no doubt tell me i'm wrong) is spin like you are to face backward. Then let the weight off the front of my boots to bring the backs of the skis back around. I can remember trying to do it for ages when i started skiing but could never get more than 180 and facing backwards. Then i realised it was because i was still pushing too hard into front of boot which meant fronts of skis had too much weight. Hope this makes sense to you. (it doesn't to me) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have managed to do something like it, might not be 100% correct but can get the whole way around a few times in a row.
Done it on this video about 30 seconds into it:
http://youtube.com/v/bft4xhCaVl0

Last year since I done it but something like below (I can only do it in one direction)
Start the turn with your weight on the front right of your right ski. That starts to spin you round, then at some stage when you are nearly facing uphill again transfer your weight to the back of the left ski. This continues your motion on round. Then weight transferred again to front of right ski again to keep rotating.

Thats how I remember doing it. A few of us kept trying it and after quite a few falls got there. I found it much easier to do when moving quicker. The most I have done continuously is 9 before getting too dizzy.

Thats sort of how I done it, but others will probably have a better description/technique.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeh, what gareth said.

First 180, lean over the tips so the tails are unweighted and can swing round, then second 180 lean back into the tails to unweight the tips and allow them to come round.

Just think forward then back.

The hardest part is working up the courage to lean backwards down the hill when you're facing the wrong way!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Just think forward then back.

Brilliant! I can imagine that (as opposed to actually DOING) it, and I think that very clear explanation will help a lot.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's also helps to be looking over the shoulder in the turn Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It definetly helps trying to link a few together to get into a rhythm and you'll have it dialled in no time. Make sure you check your line first as there's nothing worse than hitting a rut or a cookie to make you go from hero to chump in a second. MhicEasmuint, that video is quality by the way I nearly fell off my chair! A particular highlight is the dude who runs at the jump in a classic 'punters tuck' and then gets thrown into a near back flip..if only Beadle was still around..
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Simply put try this.

Ignore your legs but keep your feet flat.
Spin your upper body round.
You will now be doing a 180.
Spin again,

Done.

The key to avoid falling is to keep the feet flat so you never catch an edge. Your knees should be directly over your toes for both weight and positioning reasons.
snow conditions
MhicEasmuint, That video is brilliant, especially love the quarter flip jump! Start jump, start to flip, stop when back bottom parallel to the deck!
latest report
Thanks everybody.

I will make a hard copy of all this info, and give it a good try on my ski trip next month. It will be Cool or Sad

The video is very good.
snow report
garethjomo, element, both have the right explanation. I get going and do a really tight turn. Once I get to the point in the turn where I'm facing up the fall line I swivel on my heels, using the momentum of the first 180 degrees to push me round to the full 360. I can only do it anticlockwise though Confused , and there's no way I could do it off the ground without ending up in traction.
latest report
for the second 180 you have to shift your center of gravity down the slope, which doesn't feel natural. And you have to make sure you have your ski's flat.
latest report
in the second you have to leen back keep going the rotation of your shouder......but not too much......also in the first 180.....you leen forward......but not too much to lift up the skis.........just for take of the wait from the back..........
ski holidays
the second suggestion you pay an idiot like me to teach you......cause in front of the pc every thing is easy.....but on the snow a lot of things change
snow report
Gsyfreerider, anotherproblem, you should watch the videoMhicEasmuint posted in the Livigno thread from alp d'huez the year before, it's one of the best youtube videos I've ever seen!

http://uk.youtube.com/v/MwrNOYgoyGo
snow report
element, Absolute class!, he is a legend...looking forward next years instalment.
snow conditions
It shouldn't be too tricky if you can get the 180 spin done first. As is often the case a little bit of speed is required so that your momentum can smoothly switch from front to back to front again. The only thing you should think about is the angle of the ski against the slope once you've initiated the spin in the first place. The speed does the rest.

To practice, play about with sliding down a slope perpendicular to it. Use your ankles/knees to angle the skis and stop it biting into the slope and you'll slide. Once you're happy with sliding with both the left or right side of your body down hill, then just go for a 180 spin and you can keep switching the angle your skis to stay at the same angle of the slope.

The spin comes from feeling the ski bite, and then angling it so that it's no longer biting into the snow. After a few goes of changing edges and doing one full spin, you will probably happily end up doing four or five back to back. Just think about your feet angle rather than then entire ski by the way - the logic of it becomes too baffling otherwise!
snow report
It looks much cooler if you pivot on the tips of your skis, watch Tanner Rainville about 40 seconds into this video and again switch at about 1:05

http://uk.youtube.com/v/HWLzVOGq3qg
latest report
if you want something that's really cool & a lot easier than it sounds, try a tip-drag 360

Start the turn traversing across the slope with the weight on the downhill ski (say the right) - lift the left ski off the snow & place it so the boot is behind the right boot and at right angles to the weighted ski, then drag the tip in the snow - this initiates the turn and starts the body turning (anticlockwise in this case) - when you've rotated about 180 deg the right ski will have come parallel to the unweighted left ski so you can transfer your weight back onto it - keep both skis flat with the weight towards the tips & you'll rotate the rest of the way round.
ski holidays
Sadly the only trick I do in this video is the flat spin. The other lot spend their life popping off jumps and humiliating the once-a-year chumps like me. 360s come in around 2:13. The other guy in the video boarding has got better - although still loves his back edge.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=2154872
ski holidays
It annoyed me in the 3Vs the other week seeing some punter who couldn't ski for shit pirouetting down a piste by linking lots of 360s. Anyone can do that( and it's not even that stylish) but this guy thought he was the bee's baws...

What impressed me was seeing a group of park skiiers outside our apartments just fannying about at the end of the day. They could put all their weight onto the tips of their skis while still static, and then rotate their body putting them into a spin, rotating on their tips. Looked really cool but you need a soft ski to be able to do it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
MhicEasmuint, element, thought your vids were hilarious.troublemaker, I was slack-jawed watching that.
Fergus, sorry to have to admit, but if I could 360 I'd probably spend a large part of the day showing off too Embarassed Very Happy
ski holidays
Crank the wheel and pull the handbrake Twisted Evil
ski holidays
MhicEasmuint, total class Laughing The ski shop who set your din settings deserves a medal.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy