Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are We Realistic In Our Ski-ing Skill\Levels? What are the Basic Skills?

Poster: A snowHead
Arno, Of course. there is no 'should be' about it. Everyone is different and will be happy at their own level. However it's my experience that people who say "I'll just be happy on blues" once they get there begin to aspire to reds and so on. this doesn't mean to say that everyone should hope to ski every slope in the end, but that if they're learning constantly their ability may, and probably will, exceed their initial aspirations.

DaveC, Apologies.

Following this thread I asked my 1 week (very good) student who'd done a week in Canada last year if he'd learned side slipping and he hadn't - so we did it. For the life of me I really don't get that (or the traversing - but let's not go there) argument. Skills - edging skills particularly are one of the most important things - ask anyone who came to that really icy Mondial! Shocked
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easiski, good post. Improvement provides enhancement to the fun that can be experienced on skis, thus can become quite addictive. Goals can tend to elevate over time.

As far as the sideslip issue, few recreational skiers I work with come to me able to do even the most basic version of it well,,, much less the higher level versions I teach. And many are people who've been skiing for years. With that, and the voids I also see in even the most basic balance skills, why the intermediate plateau exists is no mystery to me. Many schools teach skiing with the sole intent of fast tracking people to some form of competence, and in doing so send them down a dead end road.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Butterfly wrote:
Lizzard, Nice!

Thanks to DaveC, easiski, FastMan, for some good encouraging stuff that makes me feel a whole lot better about my not-so-rapid journey along the learn-to-ski road. I (and I know many others) really appreciate the time people take to give opinions, help and advice on threads like this.

You're most welcome, Butterfly. Just remember to treat the journey as part of the fun. There's no final arrival, there's simply many points of interest along the way, each providing their special pleasures. Enjoy the ride.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges wrote:
easiski, FastMan, good posts both and many useful views for those who ponder (and they will) this.

Only thing I'd add is people are competitive. Against others, against scales, against higher qualifications, against themselves. It's human nature. That's why there are scales of achievement and competence in, well, anything that someone can devise an intelligible scale for. Including skiing. Most (not all) are designed for ski school class organisation, knowing who can ski together, what level of ski/boot/thermal jockstrap to buy, but actually it's not only kids who need levels to help them know how they're doing, give some small recognition for a step in the right direction, know what the next step to aspire to should be, and yes, to know that they're better than the other kid! It's just another facet and it doesn't in any way stop it from being fun.

Of course it's notoriously tricky to design a good scale, hence, well, there isn't really one that I'm aware of. A skills based one would be good but of course that'd require professional and impartial assessment, and as learning skiing is a customer initiated and focused leisure activity this could be tricky in itself, so ski shop scales are the common surrogates.

Yes, I agree with that. I've spent the bulk of my time in the sport of skiing on the competitive side of it, both as a racer, and as a coach. The race course provides probably the most precise scale of skill measurement in the sport. The clock does not lie, and every race provides a harsh dose of reality for the world to see of what your skill level actually is. It's a reality easily avoided when boasting of freeskiing prowess from a bar stool.

It's been through that association with reality that I've learned what's really needed to improve results. It happens by building a strong base of foundation skills. There are no shortcuts. I've worked the process year after year, and it always works. For so long I developed great skiers within my little world, and watched around me as so many recreational skiers floundered for their lack of even the most basic skills. It's why I've changed course with what I do. It doesn't need to be that way, and for those who really are interested in improving their skiing, but are kind of at a loss as to how to go about it, there is a well proven path available to them. Improve the skills, elevate the fun factor, and let the numbers take care of themselves.

OK, time for me to get back to the grindstone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When I started out I did make rapid progress in that I was confident up to a point on steep ground / off piste and didn't mind crashing many times a day. But my technical skill set (or lack of it) was holding me back so each year I try to get some lessons in on various aspects. And as FastMan and easiski say... it's the foundation skills that allow you to develop and keep on learning. I am still working on the drills given to me in my lessons, it's not much trouple to start a fresh days skiing with some basic balance practice... or get on an empty easy run and see what happens when you vary edge angles at speed... or see how much control you can keep in the bumps.

The day I start carving turns switch on one leg will be the day I think to myself... OK... I'm getting to be quite a good skier Laughing

Lets face it.. Olympic athletes are pretty much at the top of their game and they still spend vast amounts of their time being coached.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 12-01-09 22:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FastMan, "many schools teach..." and I expect many pupils expect that "rapid" progress to a level of competence and then complain about getting stick there ("on the plateau") thereafter. But spending a whole lesson sideslipping is rarely made fun (and even more rarely seen as fun) and if you only have 6 days a year on snow...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski,

Quote:

However it's my experience that people who say "I'll just be happy on blues" once they get there begin to aspire to reds and so on. this doesn't mean to say that everyone should hope to ski every slope in the end, but that if they're learning constantly their ability may, and probably will, exceed their initial aspirations.

I have to say that applies to me Embarassed
Butterfly take note - you will soon find it applies to you too Toofy Grin I was even seen to type the other night, do you think I would be able to do an easy black by the end of another week on snow Shocked By all accounts I get on much better when I stop 'thinking' and 'worrying' and just start 'doing' Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 12-01-09 23:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, otoh it's a lot more fun to feel you are learning an essential skill than to find yourself out of your depth with no "get out of jail" card....

Like most people, I have a preferred side on which to side slip or hockey stop, but was pleased to find that when I needed a side slip in earnest on the "wrong" side the other week that it worked fine. Yet when I practice it, I feel unbalanced. Funny that it suddenly feels fine when the alternative is not good Laughing

easiski, ah, yes, that icy Mondial. That was "fun". Jolly useful - in fact conveyed some vital skills (when I can remember them) but not an experience I'm keen to repeat in a hurry!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Side slipping is a skill that seems easier to deploy when I need to - often on that rock hard noisy packed surface - than to practice in softer snow during a lesson (I've never had a lesson that we didn't try it in). I always assumed I couldn't easily do it, yet on two occasions now when chickening out over a icy section on a red I've accomplished it because it was 'needed' just by applying what I'd been told to do in lessons. The skis just seem to slide easier and more freely over the hard packed snow. Although in the situations I hadn't enjoyed having to do it I now 'know' that I can sort it when needed and that knowledge alone is a valuable confidence builder to carry with me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm on the kids side of our ski school so don't really teach it to the kids without poles (so under 10s) - too hard to get them to move laterally, they have a lot of trouble sidestepping too. I tend to use the falling leaf drill to get people to work on their stance and "feel" how edging deflects their movement rather than directly say "this is side-slipping" too - no real reason or conviction in not directly naming the skill, but I can imagine people just linking powerslides rather than steering if it gets used as a crutch too often.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Butterfly, you're a sH snowHead so you'll be sure to get to where you want and further Very Happy

fatbob, I guess my use of the word plateau does imply zero progress but what I really meant was a perception of much reduced progress so a relative plateau Toofy Grin . Like I say, one may be happy or not happy there, but whether because one is satisfied or deflated wink , one stops comparing/competing! I agree that the S&R scale and its ilk compress the top end but personally don't see much of a problem with this. I recognise the indignation of nascent level 10 skiers that an upstart level 8 may presume themselves only 2 steps away from them but TBH can't see that a really accomplished skier would give a hoot where anyone lower down the pecking order thinks they are. As the large majority of skiers who would be interested in the scale (actually probably the large majority of people who ski fullstop) fall within its mid-range, so it is this section that logically needs the most categories, in an attempt to sort the sea of intermediates into levels that reflect the undeniably wide skill range they encompass. Little Angel

FastMan, I don't disagree that the clock is the only objective comparator, however most skiers are only holiday skiers and will nevertheless want to measure themselves against other people. They'll thus find and use whatever imperfect ways they can. No reason why this should preclude skill development. Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
"however most skiers are only holiday skiers and will nevertheless want to measure themselves against other people"

Have you seen the EOSB race? Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Scarpa, only from the safety of the web thank heavens!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, Easy and black in the same sentence? Shocked Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
An empty wide black with good grippy snow often feels way easier than a crowded scraped up red. If you go too fast simply turn uphill. As long as you have the basic skills just take each stage seperately. Forget about the colours... look at the terrain, the snow, the crowdedness and go for what looks like fun. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
under a new name, No-one mentioned spending a whole lessons side-slipping! 5- 10 minutes in a 1.5 hour lesson is usually enough, but it can be repeated regularly. Yes - it's not much fun to do and to practise (which I always say to my students), but I also emphasize the need to be able to do it comfortably. No-one (especially a first or second week skier) knows when they're going to arrive at the top of that much too steep slope with no escape route, it might be tomorrow - or not for 3 weeks .... if you can't get down it what do you do? More dangerous than anything else to take off your skis and walk. Sad
snow conditions
easiski wrote:
under a new name, No-one mentioned spending a whole lessons side-slipping! 5- 10 minutes in a 1.5 hour lesson is usually enough, but it can be repeated regularly. Yes - it's not much fun to do and to practise (which I always say to my students), but I also emphasize the need to be able to do it comfortably.

I think I said this the last time we had this discussion (remember that fight? Shocked , anyone seen Rusty Guy in the last couple of years?). In the first lesson of my second week we spent pretty much the whole morning on traversing and side-slipping, edge-checking, falling leaf etc. At the end of it we could definitely do it Laughing . And only after that were we allowed to make a turn (an old-fashioned skidded parallel turn on a sixpence). But it was wonderful. After that hardly any slope has held any terrors for me, and I still consider it the most important technique anyone can ever learn. And I do get just as much of a kick from the feel of a controlled angled sideslip as I do from a high-speed carve. Different tools, different applications, but just as much fun.

But I'm still absolute crap at flat 360s Sad .
latest report
What is this "ski-ing"? Where's that hyphen come from?!
snow report
That's twice I've seen 'Falling Leaf' mentioned - I thought it was a boarding term Puzzled

It's not in the ski terms glossary, if someone can confirm it is applicable to skiing I'll ask that it be added.
ski holidays
jonm, ha ha ... HURTLE ...!!!!!!
ski holidays
Megamum, backwards and forwards side-slip... absolutley essential when lost in tight steep trees...

TT's are good here Laughing
ski holidays
jonm wrote:

Perhaps that should've been ski=ing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
easiski, I didn't mean to imply a whole lesson of it (although I see that I did - and my late ex-wife did spend a whole lesson doing just that, once). I guess I really implied side slipping as a catch all for essential skill that don't get taught as often as they should as they're perhaps perceived as boring. My imprecision, my bad.

I spend much time side slipping. No idea what one would do without it...

Uncomfortable moments in skiing #1024; (the party has just committed itself irrevocably to steep, icy pitch),

Responsable, "It's fine, just side slip gently down to me,"

Ir-responsable, "Side-what?? aaarrghh.................."

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 13-01-09 16:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Bones wrote:
BMF_Skier, I doubt very much that most ski instructors teach them basic things like slide slipping Confused when talking to an instructor in Whistler he said he didnt teach it, as he thought it wasted the pupils snow time.

I think he is taking a short term look - people are here for a week to have fun, why bother doing stuff that may only be relevant when the skier progresses to the next level. It is like most of GCSE maths.

My son (4 and a third) is on his 16th day on snow. Six this year. Last year I was like the Whistler instructor, have a bit of fun, get used to skis on snow etc. This year he was supposed to go into classe de neige at Christmas but refused. So I started on side slipping, edging, snow plough etc. Getting skis flat on snow is important when you move onto parallel turns especially in powder. Snow ploughing is also a vital "advanced" skill. Anyway he is now skiing the nursery slopes on his own and seems to be developing a natural parallel style when turning. Blacks are a long way off though Happy.
snow conditions
jonm wrote:
I thought it was the dictionary!
snow report
Very good comments on here from the pro's.

I've found that the more I ski and progress, the more I become aware I'm not that good at it Sad
snow report
easiski you was too nice.......they are crab...sometime I hear people talking about carving and they have no idea what mean have fun......there is always someone better than us.......and it is not a race........also me I'm an instructor and after a lot of work I can say that the level depend from the caracter of the client......confident or not.......important it is also the phisical condition.....you are fit or not........BUT THE ONLY IMPORTANT THING IS HAVE FUN......YOU COME ON THE MOUNTAIN FOR SLIDE DOWN NOT FOR SHOW OFF.......and easy ski who know me very well she know that I'm the worst show off of les 2 alpes......but in my case it is just a way for find clients.......I'm 40.......to old for that....
snow conditions
lungostyle wrote:
I'm the worst show off of les 2 alpes......but in my case it is just a way for find clients.......

You charmer you Wink

(Welcome to snowHead btw, fascinating to get another viewpoint and good on you for making the effort to try and help in your 3rd? language)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eng_ch, yeah he does pretty well don't you think?
snow report
lungostyle, I'm really impressed by your willingness to help in a language that isn't your mother tongue. I certainly couldn't get as close in any other language. If you get stuck just give us your best description - I'm sure we will sort out the word you are looking for. I hope you stick around, as the others have said its always useful to get another mind on board.
ski holidays
Megamum, I still want to know if lungostyle is a biker Laughing
snow report
I first succeeded in some side-slipping in an EoSb lesson with Euan on a steepish little bank just above the Knife & Fork. I didn't manage to go absolutely sideways but discovered I could go diagonally forward which was a great start & I was THRILLED with the experience and wanted to keep practising it as I could see it was a means of getting down difficult bits under some kind of control. I want to work on this more in March. For me the most important thing is feeling that I am in control and I want to learn to side-slip properly to contribute to this.
latest report
Butterfly, And if you do the same backwards you can 'falling leaf'.. a few feet forwards... slowly, the same backwards... soon you are past the steep bit.
snow report
Scarpa, I thought Falling leaf included the 2 small "uphill" sections as well as the diagonal... ?? Puzzled
latest report
little tiger wrote:
Scarpa, I thought Falling leaf included the 2 small "uphill" sections as well as the diagonal... ?? Puzzled

That's a 'garland' and it involves early carving skills.
snow report
Masque, No not a garland... just a slight uphill at the end of the diagonal sideslip.... checked with Fastman he says yes... tends to happen because you are releasing ski ends....

You can probably do it with the pure diagonal movement... but that is not what "falling leaf" usually describes in skiing exercises...
snow conditions
Masque, Oh and you can do garlands without carving... It is just often used as an edging drill
snow conditions
little tiger, I did say "early" carving skills rolling eyes

Releasing the trailing edge to reverse the direction of travel does not leave you moving up the hill unless the edge is re-engaged. It is a speed control technique prior to the change in direction of movement.

edit: Though more commonly a ‘galand’ is repeated small arcs across the fall-line. I’ve heard the term ‘swag’(sp?) used to describe the back and forth arcs on a carving edge.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 14-01-09 9:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
lungostyle, It is true that you are the worst show-off in LDA! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Luca's english is very good in reality, but writing and speaking are two different things, and I'm glad you (Luca) have got over your fear of writing the language. BTW everyone his partner is english! wink
snow report
easiski wrote:
Luca's english is very good in reality, but writing and speaking are two different things

Ain't that the truth! And for all that it's a little broken, it's totally comprehensible
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy