Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A Bulgarian on Bansko.

Poster: A snowHead
Snejko from BULGARIA writes

A few words from a Bulgarian who has been skiing in Bansko since 1990.
- The place is owned and run by the homegrown Bulgarian mafia (mutri in local slang): no Austrian companies, no Russians. Nevertheless it is not a dangerous place since the mutri are not interested in foreign tourists. On the contrary, they have realised that gunfights in the pubs actually scare people away so they now behave themselves in public. Just don't mess with them and they will not mess with you.

- The place is overdeveloped: it is a construction site and it will remain like this for an indefinite period of time since there is no such thing as a "development plan" that will be fulfilled. The infrastructure is horrible and not likely to change anytime soon. The reason is corruption paired with lack of interest on all levels.

- Service is bad and staff are unfriendly: the reason is that they are underpaid and frequently get less than 500 euro per month. Contrary to common belief, life in Bulgaria is only marginally cheaper compared to the rest of Europe. Ever wondered why a beer in the pub will cost you 1 euro in Bulgaria and 5 euros everywhere else? Beer in supermarkets in Bulgaria costs as much as it costs in Germany. The reason is that the staff in the pub earns 20 euros a day. Another reason is that British tourists abroad are frequently not a pretty site. Let's face it Brits in Bansko are at least as arrogant as the staff that serves them. The only difference is that you feel you should be treated better because you have money in your pocket. The staff know that this money is not going to them anyway so they don't care about how you feel. Do you care how they feel?

- This is the best ski area on the Balkans: there is no comparison to any other resort. With the exception of the gondola, all lifts are top notch. The capacity is more than adequate so waiting in lines is very limited once you actually get to the skiing area. The equipment for artificial snow is also top notch because, unlike older resorts, the whole system was developed together with the pistes. The preparation of the slopes is adequate and certainly the best in Bulgaria.

- The slopes are overcrowded: there are simply too many people on the slopes for the skiing area Bansko has. This is evident on weekends and holidays. On weekdays in the end of January skiing is a dream. Having too many people on the slopes means that the quality of the snow deteriorates rapidly as the day goes by. Skiing early in the morning lets you enjoy nicely groomed slopes. In the afternoon it's more like skiing bumps.

- There are only red slopes up the mountain in Bansko: some of them are light red, some are darker. There are blue runs below the gondola station. For some reason there are hardly any people skiing them during the day. Probably because most of the instructors prefer to stay in the upper part of the mountain since it is more developed. Torturing beginners down red slopes only makes the slopes quality worse. There is no black slope either - the Tomba piste is what I would call a dark red one.

- Bansko is not chea:. it is only marginally below the prices you would pay in Italy and Austria. More and more Bulgarians including myself go to Italy and Austria for their main skiing holiday, since it is almost the same price for twice the quality. You have to be crazy to go skiing in Bansko if you do not live nearby. If you have to fly in, you will definitely be better off someplace else.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski, I do remember a British girl who caused a little scene in Bulgaria (not in a ski resort). She was being very loud and obnoxious in a bar frequented by Bulgarian 'property owning businessmen' until someone went over, smashed a bottle over her head, then called the police to take her away.

Just out of interest... is there any decent off piste skiing nearby to the main resorts over there?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa wrote:
Mollerski, I do remember a British girl who caused a little scene in Bulgaria (not in a ski resort). She was being very loud and obnoxious in a bar frequented by Bulgarian 'property owning businessmen' until someone went over, smashed a bottle over her head, then called the police to take her away.

Just out of interest... is there any decent off piste skiing nearby to the main resorts over there?

Yeah, there is a bit off of the back of the Todorka in Bansko if you can put up with all the other crap that goes with the place.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mollerski, Thanks... prob not enough to tempt us. I'm trying to organise a trip to Iran at the moment... my mates are taking some persuading... it could prove a nice cheap place to avoid bar bills, but paying for the flights is a right pain in the @ss Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do not understand why anyone goes to Bulgaria. Italy and Andorra are great places. 2* as good for the same price. Anyone who bought property there is a loser
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A mate has been to Sweden for the last two years. He reckons it's great value. Puzzled I always thought that the Scandy countries were expensive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mollerski, I went to Are last year on an independent booking and managed a 4 person apartment with underfloor heating, boot driers, lift passes, local airport an hours drive from resort, transfers, flights from Heathrow for £450 per personThe mountians have picnic refuges with microwaves, tables etc to eat your home prepared food. Very cheap and family friendly.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm just finding out the booking details for another snowHead once Ulrika digs it out. My mate's gf comes from Stokholm so it is a slight advantage when it comes to sorting out independant travel. I'll post the links when I get them. We undercut the TO by approx £200.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarpa wrote:
I'm just finding out the booking details for another snowHead once Ulrika digs it out. My mate's gf comes from Stokholm so it is a slight advantage when it comes to sorting out independant travel. I'll post the links when I get them. We undercut the TO by approx £200.

Sounds interesting.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mollerski, PM me and I'll copy you in on the details.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Have to agree so much with Mollerski / Snejko post ! Experienced the same at Borovetts some years ago !! Was just a horrible holiday.. Sorry folks.. It really was horrible... Sorry Sad

Johnboy - Your so right !!

Scarpa. Interested also in your details. May I PM you for further info ??

Thanks

Tim
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Tim Tastic, Feel free... I'm just waiting for my mate to update me... she's just got back from an Xmas return to the cold place.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tim Tastic, Are is a great destination... the very fact that it has an ungroomed red though the forest would make it special by any account.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A friend of mine goes to Bulgaria every year....but not Bansko. The mafia operate in other resorts as well and its costs the area if it doesn't suit these people, he says

I can't see why he goes back there..altho' I think they have a very small 'investment' and have made friends, of course.

An enlightning story about Bansko.

I do know a friend of a friend who invested in Bankso...despite all the horror stories. He said he had got it covered but the last time I saw him was before this crunch was beginning to bite.

Puzzled Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scarpa, Mind if I PM as well? Looking for a change from France next year and Sweden sounds interesting.
ski holidays
ruthie, I'll do a little report and send it to anyonewho wants a copy. It'll just be the details of how my mate booked the hol. I'd go back to Sweden... great place for a change to the Alps.
snow report
All.... I've put details in the trip reports section.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy