Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tyre socks

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has any one used them? wondering whether to buy some in Uk then take with us and use if necessary on hire cars out in France. Is is one size fits all (within reason) or do you have to get the correct size for the particular car (in which case my idea won't work!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Villz, They are not chains and French law requires chains!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, okay yes that's true!
But does anyone know if the tyre socks are any good, out of interest?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Villz, The general consensus is no Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Villz,

Various european motoring organisations have tested them and say they are no good at all. In one test the snow socks wore through after 10 miles.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44568&start=40
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Villz, I have never used them and thought they looked pretty rubbish. However, a friend of mine uses them all the time and swear by them. And before evreyone pitches in with their two-bit flatland opinions, said friend drives up to Alpe d'Huez and back daily in all weathers every winter, so presumably they do a good enough job.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I use them on a lightweight 4 x 4 and find them great for short trips. They are not one size fits all though, and I wouldn't use them on a big heavy car.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, I used them a couple of weeks ago in resort for the first time and I found them to be good enough. Not brilliant, but got me everywhere I wanted to go in very very icy and slippery conditions. That said, I was not racing around in them, nor timing my starts or stopping distances as one may do in a test. They just got me from A to B, stayed on the tyres, went on easily and more importantly took 10 seconds per tyre to get them off again. That's all I needed and all I was looking for. One benefit was that when I hit tarmac, they were smooth and didn't even notice they were on, unlike you would with chains. I'm not trying to sell the product or the idea - just saying that they worked for me in those conditions.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A friend has them and has had mixed results. Wet snow and ice they seem to perform well. Very dry powder the socks seem to pick up the snow and then just spin on the icy surface below.

They are unlikely to last long if they are used for any distance where the road pokes through.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I followed a car in socks up a very snowy and winding road, a few years ago - I had chains on, and there was a fair bit of snow. He seemed to be getting on fine. Current conditions, with still some very icy patches on shady stretches of road, are problematical - I struggled a bit with traction coming up through a snowy, long bend this evening (with snow tyres). Low revs and slow speed got me up, and there was no way I wanted to put on chains only to have to take them off 400 metres later, where the road (as I knew) was dry. But if the socks are much easier to put on, and take off, and if they encourage someone to use them where they might put off getting the chains out, they could be worthwhile. But I would have them as well as chains, not instead.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with Pam, they're a useful adjunct to chains, but not a substitute. Villz, your plan won't work because they vary in size according to the wheel size of the vehicle.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
that settles it then - it has to be chains! Thanks everyone for your advice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy