Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footbeds for high arches: Expert advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have high arches (with wet feet my heel does not connect with the forefoot). A few years ago I got some Superfeet cork footbeds (unweighted) made but I feel that these do not give me enough support (even though they have a pronounced/built up arch). As a result my arch collapses and pushes the forefoot out to the side (pain near the little toe). I can feel that my foot is not sitting straight in the boot. What is the latest on supportive footbeds?

I am off to St Anton next week, so if you have a good bootfitter you recommend there that would be great.
Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Me too, off to St Anton next week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowman wrote:
I have high arches (with wet feet my heel does not connect with the forefoot). A few years ago I got some Superfeet cork footbeds (unweighted) made but I feel that these do not give me enough support (even though they have a pronounced/built up arch). As a result my arch collapses and pushes the forefoot out to the side (pain near the little toe). I can feel that my foot is not sitting straight in the boot. What is the latest on supportive footbeds?

I am off to St Anton next week, so if you have a good bootfitter you recommend there that would be great.
Thanks.

I recommend Smallzookeeper! snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
SZK, hope it snows again before we get there....the off piste is pretty skied out right now.
Are you bringing your tools of the trade with you or is this strictly pleasure? Perhaps I can book an appointment with you on the way up in the new (and very hi tech) Galzig Bahn....I hear each bubble is fitted out with a bootfitting booth. Happy

What do you look like in case I see you in the lift line so I can say hello.

Me....black Giro helmet/blue Scott goggles/blue jacket/black pants/Dalbello Kryptons and Voelkl V Pro 1.90m with Fritschi Freerides.

Markus
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't know what i will look like, will be starting with a whole new get up, only my boots wont change, red ones. Look out for all the Nordica riders. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowman,

I have no personal experience of bootfitters in St Anton. However if I needed custom made boots in that area I would be heading to lech or Zurs where Strolz custom make ski boots.

I'm arriving in St A on the 18th for a week, I couldn't work out if you will be there that week or the week before.

Here in London go to Surefoot or Profeet in Fulham.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowman, the full Kork is about the most supportive footbed out there [ in terms of non corrective products] IMO , a weightbearing system may fill the arch cavity more but a proportion of the rearfoot control may be lost, it may be that the curent bed just needs a little adjustment as it sounds liek the forefoot alignment of your foot is not neutral and you need a little more support in that area [rather than the arch itself] most medical grade orthotics have minilam arch fill, they want to control the rearfoot and the forefoot , but the arch must be allowed to flex a little, are you confusing flex with collapse?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM, thanks for your reply.
I am not very familiar with foot mechanics/gait for skiing....so not sure what you mean by flexing arch. However I do think that I exaggerated somewhat when I said that my arches collapse (as the corks have quite a bit of material in the arch area)....I think it's more an overpronation issue. I have not really thought about my forefoot support so that's something I will have to check as you recommend. After their inital moulding are cork footbeds adjustable?

I use custom made orthotics for running (where I overpronate severely without them). These are way to bulky (they are made from some fleshlike soft rubbery material) to fit into my skiboots and would probably not be suitable for skiing anyway as they support a different gait cycle.

Welshflyer, I be in St Anton from 16-26th Jan staying in a B&B right next to the Galzigbahn. If you'd like meet up PM me (I am a pretty good skier who enjoys off piste). Btw I used to have Strolz boots many years ago...unfortunately I did not like them too much or was it the other way around? Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowman, adjustments can be made by adding/removing material to the device, sounds like you may need a litttle more support in either the rear foot or forefoot, based on what you say my money is on rearfoot... the foot must be able to flex a little to allow you to pronate to initiate the turn, be wary of footbeds which block the foot by wedging the arch into a locked position
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, just to clarify on the foot flexing....when I put pressure on the tongue of the boot (boot flexes), then my feet also flex (this is the opposite action to pointing feet)? When I flex my feet how does this then impact on my high arch.....does it come down and pronate? Many thanks.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowman, as you flex your ankle the foot will pronate slightly this "flexing" of the arch is pronation and allows you to walk, ski run etc, too much is a problem a little is good though
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowman, Enjoy St Anton guys - sooo jealous. Missing out on my boys trip there this year, but hey, off to Stuben with kids at end of Feb. back to your question. I got a pair of Strolz boots made this year whilst in Oberlech - they are fantastic. I know they're not the flashest looking of boots and the clips a but flimsy, but I have found them excellent and made an instant improvement to my skiing. Could you possibly just get the liner done and use with existing boots???? May be worth emailing them in advance and asking them www.strolz.at Think they may also do them in Alber in St Anton. Two of my mates got a pair of Strolz boots after my recs, and they love them too. You will need to make an appointment to have an assessment though.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy