Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for integrated wrist guard gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Can any recommend a good pair of gloves with wrist guards combined? I couldn't get my gloves on over a normal pair of wrist guards.

I had a wee shot of snowboarding at Xmas so I want to get more involved but couldn't get the wrist guards on so didn't want to push my luck!

First time snowboarding and spent a fair bit on learning to ski so if anyone has an old pair they want rid of let me know!

xx wink
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I got some of those Level 'biomexx' (or whatever it's called) ones. Partially because I always get really cold hands and decided to have a go at spending more than a fiver on gloves this time (these are £75), and partially due to taking up boarding.

No complaints.

Although you do realise that the purpose of wrist guards is not actually to prevent breakage, rather to ensure that the breakage happens further up your arm, don't you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i've heard a few of those arguments, yes. I just aim to fall on my back bottom as much as possible as it's pretty well padded.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These are what you want http://www.alpsgear.co.uk/Snow-Sports/Flexmeter-Gloves

The best wrist guard you can buy built into a decent glove at competative prices with Levels etc...

Edited to the link with all the gloves on it

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 14-01-09 15:02; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen_sheba wrote:
i've heard a few of those arguments, yes. I just aim to fall on my back bottom as much as possible as it's pretty well padded.

I usually manage to break my fall with my testicles.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
level biomex for me. ebay for £17.00 - used once. Razz
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rogg wrote:
used once. Razz
what happened to the user Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
& what were they used for Shocked
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flexmeter; And paulio, I think you are talking rubbish.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to visit the International Bureau of Weights And Measures recently, and it was a fascinating experience. Amongst other things I learned that the SI unit for 'self important haughty sneering' is known as a Lizzard.

For those of you who still think in imperial, fret not! 1 lZ is approximately equivalent to 9.4 Rantzens, meaning you can safely round up to ten without losing any significant amount of precision, unless dealing with quite large quantities.

For example when attempting to measure the post below this one.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 14-01-09 17:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulio, if you care to re-read Dr Langram's website, you will see that not only is there no suggestion whatsoever that guards are actually designed to cause a break further up the arm, but he actually questions whether or not this happens at all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard, there is also a very interesting advert for the purchase of wrist guards at the bottom too wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The real tragedy here is that I've written a post as funny as that one, that nobody will ever read, since it's in the snowboarding forum, which skiers don't read, and snowboarders - generally speaking - can't read.

Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LOL at Paulio.

I saw a nice pair of long gloves, with built in splints, in the O'Neil store at Bluewater. In the end I decided against them (they were £50 but the gloves looked excellent) as I was worried the splints would get on my nerves. You could take the splints out, but then are left with an expensive pair of gauntlets.

Rather than an arm break, I would thing you could more easily break the bones in your hand, where the lower ends of the splints rest on the back of your hand.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio, the skiers are laughing at you and not with you wink
ski holidays
So long as others are happy, I'm happy.
snow report
I did also think getting up after doing up yer back binding (45 minutes for us non Flow users) would be very tricky with wrist guards.
ski holidays
I used guards for my first few years riding and thought they're great. I've always recommended them to other learners i've know.
With ref. to the whole breaking your wrist/arm etc, if you're falling with that much energy you're probably going to break something somewhere.
I've been of the opinion that they're there to prevent bruising from more minor spills. they take the brunt of the fall when you forget to tuck you're arms in and instinct takes over.
ski holidays
I've had two pairs of Level, I'd really rate them. Started with gloves but because I get cold hands I've now got the mittens. The wrist protectors have saved my wrists on a few occasions. I like that you can take them apart too which you can't with all brands. As can also be said of my helmet. Had a massive crash catching an edge on ice & flipped into the air landing on my head going backwards down the slope... whiplash & mild concussion 2 years ago... was 'undecided' until that point, now I won't go without one - I would have certainly been worse.
snow report
I struggle to understand why any one when falling would want to put their arms out Puzzled and maybe this explains it a bit ........

a mate just came back from a ski holiday where his missus hurt her leg on the first day, was stretchered off the mountain and was unable to ski for the week, so he decided to have a few days learning to board (he had done the odd day before), as part of his lessons he was taught to fall with his arms tucked in, and said he found it easy because he played rugby as a lad and because of this he had no urge/reflex action to put his hands out; in essence when playing rugby you 'learn to fall' because you are holding the ball and sticking your arms out will simply mean that you will drop the ball; I also have played rugby and when I fall it seems the instinct to 'wrap up' clicks in.

Any protection is probably a good idea - helmet/padding/back protection/wrist guards etc., but whether you wear wrist guards or not the best safety tool is to learn to fall properly
snow report
rayscoops wrote:

Any protection is probably a good idea - helmet/padding/back protection/wrist guards etc., but whether you wear wrist guards or not the best safety tool is to learn to fall properly

Nice idea in theory, try catching an edge strapped firmly into a snowboard and you're flipped either backwards or forwards faster than you can say 'wrist guard'. The automatic response is to put your hands out.... especially if it's your front edge at speed. If your freind did it then well done, I'm not sure it's that easy, maybe at slow speeds when you're learning on the nursery slopes... most of my accidents have been quite fast and I've not had time to apply that much thought....

I'm sure I've read that boarders and skiers tend to fall slightly differently, I suspect not being strapped firmly in by your feet has something to do with it, if you don't put your hands out then next thing to hit is your face.... Mind you, in some cases that might be a bonus.

For the cost of a few extra quid and knowing that it's an auto response to put your hands out if you're falling then I don't see why not pay the money and have the extra protection...
latest report
Honda Kitty, not for me and my board and I have caught loads of edges and landed on my head far too many times, but my instinct is to tuck in my hands/arms and, if anything, put out my elbows without extending my arms, and no thought process takes place, it is purely instinct, and that is what I mean by learning to fall properly - develop the instinct to tuck your arms in rather than stick them out Very Happy

I guess you have not played rugby ? wink

edit - i will of course break a wrist next weekend in Innsbruck Sad
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
i will of course break a wrist next weekend in Innsbruck Sad

no chance of that
snow report
nigel b, when are you arriving out there?
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:

I guess you have not played rugby ? ;-)

Not when snowboarding.... lol
ski holidays
rayscoops is on the money - learning to fall properly is an important skill. I was very impressed to see beginners being taught it at MK once. Otherwise I think flexmeter are the burliest though Da Kine used to be the most common.
snow report
fatbob, my first ever introduction to boarding was two hours on the plastic, the first hour was mainly spent practicing falling on to my forearms on my front or falling onto my back in a 'hunched & rolling' manner, and I did not hurt my wrists or bang my head Very Happy
ski holidays
I broke my arm while learning to snowboard even though I was wearing wrist guards so I think the argument that they move the break up your arm might be right.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hbdesmond wrote:
I broke my arm while learning to snowboard even though I was wearing wrist guards so I think the argument that they move the break up your arm might be right.
my son did too. Shattered both ulna and radius whilst wearing Level gloves with biomex guards. Not too much of a problem though as it was plated and had no problems with it since.

Daughter broke her wrist snowboarding without guards and still has problems with reduced flexibility and joint
stiffness.

Better to brake an arm than a wrist Blush
latest report
carla, better not to stick your arms out in the first place wink Little Angel hope they are both ok and did not have too much pain though !
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
carla, better not to stick your arms out in the first place wink Little Angel hope they are both ok and did not have too much pain though !
Rayscoops,tell me about it ! They learnt the hard (painful) way. Both accidents were in Bansko so you can probably imagine pretty much what the medical care was like.

To be fair,my daughter didn't have much pain really and the doctor did a great job of setting her wrist and plastering it up.
My poor son though Crying or Very sad the kid was in agony. When we got to med centre he was in a lot of pain and asked for pain relief.
The doctor laughed and said "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.Bite your coat" Shocked

He then told my hubby to lay across my son ,to pin him to the bed , while he proceeded to manipulate the badly broken arm.
At this point I had to leave the room because I was no help,I was on the point of smacking the gleeful doctor !
Arm was pulled and rotated etc, told us job was a good un' and slapped a cast on.

Over the course of the next few days sons fingers began to resemble a bunch of bananas, but he refused to go back to the 'butcher' opting to keep it elevated and kept up with his painkillers.
Took him to A+E the night we got back,xrayed and told he needed surgery because his ulna and radius were shattered Shocked

So a really good idea to learn how to fall lol !
Hasn't put him off boarding though and he's gutted that he can't go to Cairngorm next week as he broke his other arm in nov (tricks on his BMX). Another bad injury that is now full of srews and pins Embarassed
snow conditions
Probably better to break arm than wrist. There are also lots of irritatating ligaments in wrists that give easier than bones, and heal even less effectively... Although doctors don't seem to think of them quite as easily!

Don't think I'll be snowboarding ever - but might invest in some/a wrist guard for skiing if they don't get in the way as I've already got a stretched/weakened ligament in my wrist!
snow report
I was also 'taught' how to fall 'properly' at MK when I had lessons.

Unfortunately being a mere mortal.... instinct, often overcomes theory.

Was just wondering.... Have the experts also re-trained their gag reflex in order to sucessfully suck each others' cocks?
snow report
Honda Kitty, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Honda Kitty, hahahahahahaha. Marvellous.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy