Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

just broke my bindings, advice on new pair needed

Poster: A snowHead
I just trashed my beloved Burton P1 Md's, they were getting on a bit so not all bad. I ride a Burton Custom board and use Salomon F24 boots which are pretty stiff. What bindings are good options for general all mountain stuff - I don't ride park and comfort is at the top of the tree anlong with pretty good performance. I was looking at the Ride Spi's which look good value at around £120, anything else I should look at?? Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
avoid Flows wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
don't worry, I would rather ski than wear flows...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love flows and so does my warm ass.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, since when ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DebbiDoesSnow, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just curious, but whats wrong with flows? been using them for years, and their great. Stiff as I need, never had a problem with them, and far quicker to get n and out then clicker straps!!

Am I missing something here??? Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the worm has turned Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
open away, and spill the beans then... Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meadwak wrote:
open away, and spill the beans then... Happy
check out the 'boarding and bindings advice' thread, Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
meadwak, There's nothing wrong with flows. Sure, they make you gay, but there's nothing wrong with that. Very Happy

Seriously, us "regular binding users" tend to scoff at flow users in the same way as skiiers do at boarders, but there's nothing actually wrong with them, they're just different.
I think there was some question over the reliability of the high back on some of the earlier ones - although I'm sure that's been sorted out now, the only other thing negative I can think of is that I've heard they can be difficult to get off if you stop in deep powder. On the plus side I believe they're quite comfy and they're a damn sight quicker to strap in to.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ac505, Union bindings are supposed to be the dog's knob. TSA stock them but they are pretty expensive (c £200)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learned to board with flows and thought they were great...... then bought Burton P1 speedzone's and never looked back much more responsive, a can also do these up while moveing now so thats not an issue, also the flows can be more akward to get in and out of in some circumstances....horses for courses really tho its what you get used to..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We're having really good feedback on the Ride Spi's, Deltas and Alphas. Much more comfortable AND responsive than Burton bindings, and the 'cap strap' style toe strap is much more reliable than the Burton Cap Strap. For freestyle I'd recommend the Ride Delta, for a more freeride bias perhaps go with the Spi. They seem pretty good value as well.
snow report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER, You sound Poorly, very sick even.
ski holidays
I fought of the illness for as long as possible, but in such a hostile environment it was inevitable that some contamination would occur.
latest report
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
We're having really good feedback on the Ride Spi's, Deltas and Alphas. Much more comfortable AND responsive than Burton bindings, and the 'cap strap' style toe strap is much more reliable than the Burton Cap Strap. For freestyle I'd recommend the Ride Delta, for a more freeride bias perhaps go with the Spi. They seem pretty good value as well.

much as I hate to admit it the capstraps on my old customs were much better than the new split type on the co2, my left one comes off at least twice a day when riding, or landing a sketchy backside 180

I see a fair few broken ride bindings, kind of sucks because I dont carry spares for them.
Salomon code dark sound good on paper, I havent tried them yet but at least they beefed up their cap strap / toe strap thing this year. For the freeride monkey/piste carver thing salomon relay pro get my vote, for jibbing I dont like them, the base plate feels a little high off the board for my liking.
snow report
ronaldothefrog wrote:
meadwak, There's nothing wrong with flows. Sure, they make you gay, but there's nothing wrong with that. Very Happy

Seriously, us "regular binding users" tend to scoff at flow users in the same way as skiiers do at boarders, but there's nothing actually wrong with them, they're just different.
I think there was some question over the reliability of the high back on some of the earlier ones - although I'm sure that's been sorted out now, the only other thing negative I can think of is that I've heard they can be difficult to get off if you stop in deep powder. On the plus side I believe they're quite comfy and they're a damn sight quicker to strap in to.

ahh, well, I counter the gay comment (!) with the fact I can be half way down the slope whilst the rest of the group are still tightening up their straps (however i don't generally do that, as I like to be nice and wait for them... Happy) Little Angel

fair enough tho. New and different stuff scares people. having used loads of different bindings before I brough my flows, I just appreciate the ease of getting into them. The do the job for me, althought being a slightly better boarder now than when i got them, maybe I would benefir from a different set of bings whcih were stiffer/softer etc.

Never had a prob with the high backs. can be a little tricky to get off in deep poweder, but in that case don't stop or fall ove rin deep powder and you'll be fine... Very Happy First year I ever boarded (in Bulgaria), we finsihed the holiday going under the lift pylons and thats was 5-6ft of poweder. As we kept stopping, (not being all that good then), you'd sink down and have 3 ft of snow above you - trying getting into or out of any binding woudl be a struggle then...

In conclusion i dont feel so bad owning a pair now!!!! thansk for the info!
latest report
pair of Rome Targa's ordered today, thanks for the advice! Unfortunately no chance of getting the P1's repaired as Burton Austria no longer carry the ladder strap - I've bodged a repair so I can at least use them on my spare board.
latest report
ac505, that's nonsense from burton. I just ordered 25 of each strap for burton bindings plus toe caps. Almost everything for 08/09 is out of stock with burton though, they really do have a shoddy marketing plan.
snow conditions
Nidecker builds some quality freeride binders.
its easy to feel the quality when you compare nideckers to anything short of Cateks.
Ride buckles are a pain to release when they have tension on them.
i have a pair of Forum ATP pros that are a sweet freestyle binder.

ladders and buckles should be easy to find in any decent snowboard shop if you want to go the route of making Frankenstein bindings.
you are probably better off getting rid of the burtons, those things are trash for any serious boarder.
snow conditions
hahaha nidecker, real swiss quality Laughing worst bindings I ever owned, ever. I gave them away in the end for free.
ski holidays
Stab, whic ladders did you get? Burton changed the design so the heel ladders specific to the P1 (no screw or bolt to hold them in) from the 03 era don't exist anymore - there could be half a chance of some shop having something lying about but not in Glasgow anyway.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
avoid Flows wink

I'd rather wear FLOWs than come from Swansea... wink

ronaldothefrog wrote:

You say that to all the boys but you never say it to me big boy! wink...

The problem with the old FLOW highbacks popping open is down to the catch mechanism not being tough enough. My mate has old ones from about 8 years back and they do pop open when baoarding - he actually lost his board off his feet asa result one day! My Elevens are miles better and are actually very hard to get off, the high back is under that much tension.

Am currently switching over to my Ride Beta MVTs because I fancy a change - think they may offer a more snug fit but will lack the speedy entry/exit of the Flows.
snow report
meadwak, now I know why you said the 'whats the problem mentioning flows on the forum' comment earlier Laughing
snow report
oh and i contest the
meadwak wrote:
I can be half way down the slope whilst the rest of the group are still tightening up their straps (however i don't generally do that, as I like to be nice and wait for them... Happy) Little Angel

you like a rest and a fag as much as the rest of us wink
latest report
Specialman wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
avoid Flows wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops wrote:
Specialman wrote:
rayscoops wrote:
avoid Flows wink

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony wink

Interesting article that

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm Laughing
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
oh and i contest the
meadwak wrote:
I can be half way down the slope whilst the rest of the group are still tightening up their straps (however i don't generally do that, as I like to be nice and wait for them... Happy) Little Angel

you like a rest and a fag as much as the rest of us wink

and your point is???? Very Happy

I COULD be half way down the slop if I wanted to be. Maybe next week with a smallker group, we will all be knackered from not stopping for the slowens...
ski holidays
meadwak, I am upset .... all you boys have new boards this year !!!
snow report
So no-one has any valid reason for not using Flows then...? That getting them off in deep powder thing isn't valid any more for any other than the entry-level bindings as I have noted elsewhere.

PS Ride Flows or be Welsh - not a difficult choice for me, rayscoopswink
latest report
Shallimus, high back rotation NehNeh

And I'm welsh. Smile
snow report
Shallimus, both for me, Flows/Welsh 'n proud Very Happy
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
meadwak, I am upset .... all you boys have new boards this year !!!

on the other hand, you have a tried and tested board, whilst I have no idea how mine will perform (hopefully well of course). Its been i storage for over 4 months since I brought it, so it needs a good run anyway...
(I suspect the helmet camera might have some interesting shots on it, for the first day or so anyway)
latest report
to avoid doing straps up after the lift, either sneak on the lift without undoing them(only on a 2 man though!)......or when you get off the lift simply(!) point yourself in the right direction and once you've exited the lift and start do them up as you slide go along! takes a bit of practice but easy once you've got the hang of it!! Very Happy
snow conditions
Shallimus wrote:
So no-one has any valid reason for not using Flows then...? That getting them off in deep powder thing isn't valid any more for any other than the entry-level bindings as I have noted elsewhere.

PS Ride Flows or be Welsh - not a difficult choice for me, rayscoopswink

I've stayed away from this topic after voicing my opinion in the 'other' recent bindings/flows thread...but, here goes...I don't think there is a great problem with getting flow bindings off in powder what I do think there is a slight problem is with putting them on in powder.
Let me explain my one and only gripe with them. When about to put bindings on I clear them of any snow I then put my foot in and secure (whichever method). There is no issue on the piste but when in at the top of a slightly out the way spot in powder as you slide your foot in there is a chance (it does'nt always happen) that you will push snow in between my sole and bindings. If this happens I will have to take my foot out and clear it or ride on without maximum feel of the board (hence you have to clear it).

Have no problems with them and think they are an great binding set-up but for that reason I don't wear Flows. I have thought about a pair for the snowdomes for a while now!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy