Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow chains required?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Am gonna do a trip to Cervinia next weekend. This is my second time and I've rented a car to get us there as I did previously. Do you think I need snow chains this time of the year? Last year I went in late April and even though it was snowing quite heavily I didn't need any snow chains (cos the hire company didn't have any). Not sure about this time though. If they don't have chains like previously, then should I go buy one on the way? Also, I remember vaguely that the chains were very expensive to rent (like 1/2 the cost of the car rental itself or something!) so I was wondering if I should get them on the way instead.

Any thoughts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You'll need them if it's snowing heavily on the way up or down! Snow is more likely to be on the road at this time of year than April. The charge to hire sounds ridiculous. Mine are always included in the deal from GVA. Check the weather and buy on the way up if you think you'll need them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Teckie, Just got back from Austria and without chains or snow tyres I would have been in BIG trouble! As it happens I drive on snow/winter tyres but always have chains in the car. Also its a legal requirment in Alpine areas and the cops will fine you if you dont have them. In most alpine areas they are mandatory (in the car) from November until end of March.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the quick replies - I guess for me, safety is certainly more impt than the threat of fines from cops (though thanks for highlighting that) - Other than bringing one from the UK (and I don't even know which to bring since I won't know what car I get), how can I get chains in the event (i) they don't have one available or (2) the chains are very expensive (more expensive than buying). If I'm not wrong, it was 60 euros or something previously for a 3 day rental.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gilleski, They should be available through super markets in that region. Cheap ones (€ 35) Wont be great quality but thats all you will need to get you out of trouble. Funny things chains, I hate them, but when you need them, you really need them!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
friends drove up from Milan to cervinia after the heavy snow in December without chains...though obviously you can't base a decision around my feckless friends..
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
papasmurf, Yeah, but sometime you get the fuzz at the bottom of the hill saying "no chains, no skiing".
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Teckie, it's a mother of a scary road up from the motorway to resort - take them defo!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gilleski wrote:
In most alpine areas they are mandatory (in the car) from November until end of March.

I'm not sure what is meant here by "most alpine areas" but it is certainly not my experience that chains are mandatory in most places. Indeed, if you checked in Kitzbühel, I suspect that you wouldn't find chains in one car in a hundred. I do have chains in my car but I have never used them. Of course, that doesn't mean I might not need them sometime. There are places, usually higher and with steeper hill roads. e.g. Arlberg Pass, where chains may be mandatory all the time or required when conditions are snowy/icy. But I think that is rather the exception than the rule. The biggest problem is that you can get caught out during a heavy snowfall. Then you might be stopped, either by the conditions or by the police (or the traffic regulations) not allowing you to drive on. So, if you live here in the mountains, it is certainly worth having chains. For occasional short visits it is more difficult to decide whether to buy them or not.

P.S. I don't know about Cervinia. Maybe they are required on that route.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
espri, www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_austria.pdf

Its the law in Austria (you may never need them but are required to have them). Also, if you cause an accident or block a road due to not being equiped you will get a big fine.

My advice is have a set in the car.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nuts not to.

In my considered opinion! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
espri, no comparison between valley towns in the Tirol and purpose built italian gaffs perched precipitously on the side of the Matterhorn
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gilleski wrote:
espri, www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/touring_tips/AA_austria.pdf

Its the law in Austria (you may never need them but are required to have them). Also, if you cause an accident or block a road due to not being equiped you will get a big fine.

My advice is have a set in the car.

I have never heard of this (general) compulsory requirement in Austria and I think it must be a misunderstanding. I live only 10 minutes from the Austrian border and do think I would have known about it. All I have found with google is that carrying chains is mandatory in Austria for trucks over 3.5 tons and buses (since 2006). But since I last drove a bus in 1970, I hadn't given that point much thought Smile

The link in gilleski's post didn't work for me but this link to a table at the AA suggests only that chains are permitted in Austria: http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html. Indeed, the footnote about using chains in Austria says "Only in an emergency and if road entirely or almost entirely covered with snow or ice.", which rather implies you should hardly ever use them. According to the table, you indeed should carry chains in virtually every other skiing country, France, Italy, etc. But, certainly for Germany, there is no legal requirement to carry chains with you (that I know of and, again, I think I would have known if it were necessary). You only must use chains when they are specifically required. There's a roadsign, a blue disc with a tyre with chains on it, which specifies this (possibly with extra information relaxing the requirement, e.g. to only needing winter tyres). In Germany and Austria (and maybe elsewhere too) winter tyres are required in wintry conditions = snow, slush or ice (and are obviously a sensible safety feature). If you're going skiing in the Alps, you have to expect such conditions, so it means you need winter tyres or to be prepared to leave your car standing. gilleski's note about possible fines (and also problems with insurance) is certainly true; you could be fined, if you disrupt the traffic.

red27's comment "no comparison between valley towns in the Tirol and purpose built italian gaffs perched precipitously on the side of the Matterhorn" is very true - that's why I edited in my P.S. about Cervinia. I'm not suggesting in any way that you might never need chains or that it is not sensible to carry them. As I've said, I carry chains with me (actually I have two sets for my 4x4). However, in the over 30 years I have lived in Bavaria, and despite being frequently in the mountains in winter, I have only used chains once - on a hired car, trying to get across the Arlberg Pass (but then the pass was closed anyhow and, being too lazy to take the chains off again, I ruined them in the tunnel before going on to Zürs - it was a hired car Embarassed. I think we then got up to Zürs without the chains!).

To summarise, my understanding (at least for Germany and Austria, I've no experience for other countries) is that chains are only essential when specifically required. You can certainly rest easier, if you have them with you; you are as well equipped as you can be and are less likely to be stranded or run into trouble. But the likelihood of actually needing them depends to a large extent on the resort you are going to, your route and how steep the roads are (and the weather, obviously). For places up mountains, e.g. Zürs/Lech, Obertauern, it would be better to have chains. For other resorts, e.g. Kitzbühel, St. Anton (village), you might get away without them, though you could end up getting stuck, if it snows hard while you're on the move. And if there are steep stretches on a road, even to lower resorts, you may find chains required. You might also more likely need chains, if you're staying in some farmhouse/hotel up the hill a bit.

Winter tyres are almost essential, though not mandatory as long as the roads aren't snowy.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy