Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Other insurance issues... E111, hire equipment waivers, top glisse...

Poster: A snowHead
*sigh* I'm confused.

In the past I've been happy enough to just go and get the cheapest insurance for the one week holiday I do a year and be done with it. Fortunately I've never had cause to investigate the suitability of the policy I've bought...

However, I've been reading some of the other discussions on the group and I'm now concerned about what to try and get for the group I'm organising in March.

Specifically I remember in the past being offered by the rental shop to take out some sort of insurance on the hire equipment. I think it was against damage or theft? But I've always told them that my insurance policy covers it, even when I'm not entirely sure that they have... just thought it was a ski shop scam, to be honest... Should I be taking out this sort of insurance if it's offered to any of the group or will it be covered by my insurance policy? What wording or exceptions should I be looking for on any policy I arrange?

Furthermore I notice on the local tourist office website that I can also get the following two insurances:
Cartes Neige
Top Glisse

Are these things I should be considering? As the cartes neige is for a year and I spend a week in the alps, I hope not! Does anyone know what the top glisse offers? And, again, is it something that I'll already be covered for by the winter sports policy?

Do I need to get an E111? I've never taken one before...
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Carte neige is the season card, I've got it with my season pass for example. You mean Carre Neige which is the daily version.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I always take out the ski shop damage/theft insurance. I think it should be far less hassle if the worst happens, and what's more, other cover can be doubtful.

Your insurance compnay will be a lot happier with you if you have an E111. I think they all pretty much expect you to have and use it, these days.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The E1-11 doesn't seem to be accepted by the doctors in resort, and you have to pay cash upfront (and claim from insurance later). Although I think the hospitals may require it. But a friends father had a heart attack in Spain a few years back, and the ambulance men refused to take him to hospital until they saw his E1-11. And seeing as its free,then you should definitely get it.

I don't bother with the hire shop insurance .. the ones I have been offered before only covered the Excess that your insurance company won't pay. Usually around EUR75 to EUR100. The rest has to be claimed through your insurance co. But it might be worth checking with the shop offering it, exactly what is covered.

As for your travel insurance .. I took the cheapest one I could find last year, and they were excellent when I broke my leg ... organised flights, ambulances etc, they were really pleasant to deal with, and they refunded my medical expenses quickly with no questions asked on my return.

I did meet other injured people who paid THREE times what I had paid (tour operators insurance), and they had terrible experiences. No ambulance to airport, no wheelchair or assistance organised in airport, missed first flight due tickets not paid for by ins co, missed second flight due no one available to help him board, and then had to be re-routed via another airport after hanging around for hours. The company would not pay up on return, and still has not paid in full the amount due.

So I s'pose the morale of the story is that cheapest is sometimes best !! But if you can book with an company that you know has a good repuation, then that's more important !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers Sonya - I saw your post on one of the other threads! Ace Insurance, wasn't it?

Anyhow - maybe one of the Serre Che mob will have an idea of what the local hire shops' policy is... Just seems like it's a "make a bit more money out of the tourists" scam to me sometimes!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
regarding E111, you should definitely get it as it is free and:

1. it is easier to get free care than to pay for it and try to claim it from your insurance later
2. your insurance policy has an excess, the E111 just give you free basic care
3. many insurance policies do not cover you for care that you could have got with an E111
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can you download E1-11 online?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, yes - here it is. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=80014#80014
But it still has to be validated by a Post Office.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
E111 is europe only isnt it?

Ad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, thanks for that. Does WTFH's link work for you? I just get the old illegal operation popup Confused
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov wrote:
I always take out the ski shop damage/theft insurance. I think it should be far less hassle if the worst happens, and what's more, other cover can be doubtful.

I'm not 100% on this, but I'd be very careful about the level of excess on can pay with some of those policies. I looked into this once and calculated an excess of nearly 50% of the value of the skis - new!

The SCGB's insurance covers ski loss, as long as they're stowed in a recognised area for ski storage, and that includes the general areas outside mountain stops. The excess is £50.00. Having just checked, though, I see that the maximum value for loss of hire skis is £300.00. Hmmm, possibly wouldn't have quite covered the value of the skis I used 2 weeks ago!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
so... if they ski rental shop charges, say, 10 euros or so for the week to cover damage and/or loss then it would be well worth it to avoid the policy excess?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marc gledhill, yes Ambassador Foxy's link is still OK for me. buns, yes and strictly speaking you're supposed to be a UK resident.
Quote:

The Form E111 gives UK residents free or reduced-cost emergency treatment when travelling in the European Economic Area. Please note: Not all UK residents are covered in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
carled wrote:
so... if they ski rental shop charges, say, 10 euros or so for the week to cover damage and/or loss then it would be well worth it to avoid the policy excess?

At lest with my policy, there was an excess waiver you could pay which was something like £15 for the year.... so better value to do it that way id have thought

ad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just been told that the theft/damage insurance with the shop for the week is 5 euros... sounds like it's worthwhile then!
ski holidays
carled, What does this insurance cover? What brand of ski shop is it? What exclusions are there for someone half-inching them outside a restaurant etc?
snow conditions
Dunno. Being arranged by the Tourist Office in Serre Che. It's a bit difficult wrangling info out of them at the best of times, but if I make sure that the insurance policy covers theft of hire gear, etc AND I take the shop's insurance, I shouldn't be going too far wrong!
ski holidays
Does anyone know where on my current E111 it says it expires? I see they all expire by the end of next year, does mine automatically last until then, or do I need a new one? I got mine a year or two ago.
latest report
skanky, all old ones expired on 31 Dec 2004. Therefore you have 2.5 days to get yourself a new one before you get on Eurostar!
snow conditions
Tony Lane, okay thanks. I have the form, I'll get it stamped tomorrow.
snow conditions
skanky, the newer E111's will only be valid for this year. They are bringing out a sort of 'european medical card' to replace it. Better idea as it's only the size of a credit card and easier to keep it with you all the time. I think you can get on automatically if you tick the right boxes on the new form. Also unlike the last type, the new one does not cover the kids. They would need their own.
ski holidays
Also, the online E111 may not be complete.
I went to the gov web site, printed it out, filled it in and took it to the PO.
They showed me the bits that were missing - explained that the stamped part should be physically attached to the form (on my version the stamp would have gone on one bit of A4 and the details on another - no way to see that they were related - exactly the sort of thing a petty beuracrat in any country would get arsy about - and to probably rightly so)

I filled out a real one in the PO.

Thinks may have changed ... but knowing the gov, I doubt it Very Happy snowHead
snow report
SteveG, yeah I knew that, but thanks for pointing it out, anyway. snowHead
I just needed to know if I needed a new one for this year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy