Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is there a pecking order in ski brand ownership desireability?

Poster: A snowHead
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Quote:
My point is there is no agreed pecking order. It will vary significantly from person to person. Unlike cars, where this is most certainly a pecking order.
So are we saying that one brand of ski doesn't improve your chances of a sh@g more than another ? Just thought I'd check...

Not in my experience, sadly. A ski instructor's badge on the other hand...
Blimey. In that case, it's obviously time that I got myself out of the age-induced mindset which makes me still think that most ski-instructors are cowherds with poor teeth. Laughing

No, that's just Rob.Laughing wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, what level of badge scores you a scandanavian bird? wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Not that 'my opinion' will a carry much weight, but well put!
This thread was 'born when Megamum, decided to bump my skis for sale thread and sure enough the 'usual suspects' became involved.
IMO, there is a lot of 'bollxxcks' talked about skis and the vast majority (and I include myself in that) have neither the ski experience nor expertise to select from anything other than the mainsteam suppliers. Now, where did I place my body armour? wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
skimottaret wrote:

I'm hoping that if I add up my L1 badge and my L2 badge I'll reach the required number of points.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spyderman wrote:
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Quote:
My point is there is no agreed pecking order. It will vary significantly from person to person. Unlike cars, where this is most certainly a pecking order.
So are we saying that one brand of ski doesn't improve your chances of a sh@g more than another ? Just thought I'd check...

Not in my experience, sadly. A ski instructor's badge on the other hand...
Blimey. In that case, it's obviously time that I got myself out of the age-induced mindset which makes me still think that most ski-instructors are cowherds with poor teeth. Laughing

No, that's just Rob.Laughing wink

I'm sure that post didn't read that like originally! Laughing

Anyways, I'm one of the usual suspects so my chances are pretty much zero rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

I'm hoping that if I add up my L1 badge and my L2 badge I'll reach the required number of points.

You need to throw in a CSIA, SSE & SSS one as well to get the Scandi's Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

There's a "badge hire" business op in here somewhere.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderman wrote:
SSE & SSS

Automatic disqualification I'm afraid. Th ski instructor equivalent of genital warts.

Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Megamum, and like the boutique brands of skis mentioned that are so desirable to snowHead 's, all good snowheads know that there are only two people on the planet that can fit boots correctly. one is in bicester the other in cham... Toofy Grin

I'm with you on the skis, give me a quality ski from a manufacturer with pedigree like Dynastar or Atomic rather than some bit of fibreglass layed plywood some 'mercan has knocked up in his garage that will probably delaminate and have zero after sales.

Boot fitting? Useful for the maybe 5% of skiers who have odd feet... and I've suggested to people that they visit both aforementioned boot fitters in the past, but by and large get the right shaped shells, stick the inners in the oven, cook for 20 minutes and bobs your uncle.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar wrote:
skimottaret wrote:

Sorry no chance... however if you couple your current badges with your varioius NF coats, cool helmets and a few throw away " just training for the Eurotest" comments in the bar might it just might do it for you... NehNeh

Jerry what badges do you have that you can rent me for a week or two wink i need all the help i can get and need to trump Robs assortment.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 9-01-09 0:22; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, You'll just have to get that Red Free Thinker of yours embroidered Laughing

I was cured of the SSE & SSS Warts long ago. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret wrote:
Jerry what badges do you have that you can rent me for a week or two wink i need all the help i can get and need to trump Robs assortment.
Doh! That's the business plan down at the first hurdle Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jerry, sorry matey no scandi birds for you then Razz
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret wrote:
Don't worry, for all of rob@rar's race camps, he's still far behind us, with our desirable (and much rarer) race coach badges. wink Laughing

Megamum wrote:
My perception is that they will be seen as more desirable because they are rarer.
Now, there may be a little bit to that - one of the reasons I went for VIST GS skis, as opposed to something by Atomic, Head or Volkl was that they are rare, and if I was going to be doing any race coaching in Canada they might have been a talking point, in amongst all the aforementioned Atomics and Heads. I had also heard some good things about them (especially the bindings).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Don't worry, for all of rob@rar's race camps, he's still far behind us, with our desirable (and much rarer) race coach badges. wink Laughing

Damn! Top trumps.

I bought my Vist skis coz they were cheap.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Damn! Top trumps.
Laughing

rob@rar wrote:
Ah, well, that might have had something to do with it as well (the same ski with a different top sheet for a few hundred off is quite a temptation). However, my occassional bouts of vanity will not allow me to admit as much in a public forum... Cool
ski holidays
rob@rar, RG tells me the L2 race coach is now "a bit difficult"... practice your charlestons and swedish turns my friend.... Toofy Grin also tells me L3 is "for pretty good skiers" which was code for forget about it...
latest report
skimottaret, oh joy. Deep joy Sad
snow report
rob@rar, you shoulda done it back in the old days of last year... NehNeh it sounds a bit easier on the GS skiing and gates but tougher grading on all the drills...
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, you shoulda done it back in the old days of last year... NehNeh it sounds a bit easier on the GS skiing and gates but tougher grading on all the drills...

I'd rather it was tougher in the gates and easier in the drills.
snow report
I don't think there is much of a defined pecking order with ski brands like you see for example with car manufacturers. Some brands might be well known for producing "punter" skis (eg. Sally, Rossi) but they also produce top end gear too. Small boutique brands like Icelantic might be considered desirable for their quirkiness, originality and rarity. But I wouldn't consider them as being any more desirable than a top end Salomon or Rossignol. It just depends what you want the ski to do for you. All the big well known brands (eg. Rossi, Dynastar, Salomon, Head, Atomic, Nordica, Volkl, K2 etc) produce top end skis that any pro would be more than happy to ski. I really wouldn't like to say which is the best.
latest report
First i'll start by saying that I am at least in parts a "fashion victim" myself. I buy stuff, not only on budget and reviews but make my final choice on how cool I think it looks. I bought a new jacket recently..from Tchibo, cheap but IMV it looks good otherwise I would not have bothered. And it matches my board(cheap), and I bought goggles ("top" brand) that match all of this etc etc..

Now that the scene is set, I ll say that I think the whole threads makes rob@rar's point really... no clear cut opinion of which brands are "cool".

No doubt skiers are as much fashion victims as the rest of the world but it is also clear that there isn't really a clear trend of what is cool and what isn't...
Especially if you take into account the "less informed masses"..

To be fair and to put this thread in the right perspective, this all kicked off because of the OP's reaction to the fact that another snowhead had not sold their Elan skis yet:
Quote:

At that money they are a brilliant deal, esp. against European prices with our sliding pound - my own Elan's have been fantastic and then there is the Kudos in owning a pair of these rather than a more run of the mill make.

To me that's a bit sad to think that way but also IMV slightly incorrect.
I think most "fashion victims" in the ski world will buy skis that "look" cool, i.e. nice top sheet design/colors, rather than because of the brand name on them... I am talking skis here...I think brand name is somewhat more powerful when it comes to clothing...
snow conditions
skimottaret, There you go..NF... defo not cool unless at least 5 years old hammered Gore-Tex. New High St clobber from them is major punto ...and Arcteryk isn't that far behind.
ski holidays
JT, Does that mean that my dark green and purple 19 year old Berghaus gore-tex will become cool?
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:

Damn! Top trumps.

Pikey wink Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Pikey wink Laughing

I know, but it's the only way I can afford the stupid number of skis I have Embarassed
snow conditions
rob@rar, Don't buy so many, just get a couple of 'decent' pairs. Toofy Grin
latest report
Spyderman, Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, Quality, not Quantity................Stockli Little Angel
snow report
Spyderman, Laughing Laughing Laughing does that go for ski jackets too ? wink
ski holidays
IncogSkiSno wrote:
Spyderman, Laughing Laughing Laughing does that go for ski jackets too ? wink

Me or Rob? Laughing
latest report
Spyderman, Laughing both, you pair of tarts !
snow conditions
IncogSkiSno, In the case of the Jackets, it's Quality and Quantity. Very Happy
snow conditions
Spyderman, yeah, yeah, that's what all the boys say ! rolling eyes
latest report
IncogSkiSno, Toofy Grin Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Dunno why I'm laughing... since reading this thread I have learned that apparently I own the Skoda's of Skis rolling eyes
snow conditions
Schuss in Boots, well you're one level up from me . . . I still hire mine Embarassed

BTW do tell . . . what are they ?
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, you bought Sportens?
latest report
Quechua must be close to the bottom.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, I thought they were a Salomon 2nd label?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy