Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

chilly toes

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just been to the chill facotor e for the first time ever and had a brilliant time but my toes were very chilly and I need some advice on what I can do to resolve this problem before I head out to the USA skiing in a couple of weeks.

My Boots are tecnica rival rx9 bought in fernie in 2003 since had c.11 weeks usage and I had a few little adjustments made to them the other year in Banff skied in them last year for 2.5 weeks at Jackson and they were fine. I have no heel lift so I dont think they have got to big but I have lost 20lbs over the past year which is making me feel a bit chillier but my toes were very cold to the touch - I had been wearing my usual smart wool socks. The temp indoors was only -1.4 so warmer than it will be when I am away

Do I need new boots ? (bearing in mind I said I never wanted to break in another pair of ski boots these are not the type of shoes a girl likes to buy !

Any ideas Thx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Helen LS wrote:

Do I need new boots ? (bearing in mind I said I never wanted to break in another pair of ski boots these are not the type of shoes a girl likes to buy !

Say each boot clip has 4-5 notches in it.

Are you wearing your current boots tighter than the middle notch on any one of the buckles?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks comprex, for the reply Smile

Ok couldnt do the boots up at all when I first got them and now I would say I am probably about 3 out of the 4 maybe ? But this morning I definitely only had them 2 in on both of the lower clips and I could curl my toes up IYSWIM ? It was struggle enough putting boots on for the first time in 11 months ! but I definitely didnt have them cranked all the way up it was indoors and cruisey Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Helen LS, 3 out of 4 sounds like the liners are packing out.

FWIW, you can get replacement liners, some of which are considerably warmer than the stock ones, some of which require next to no breaking - in, and some of which won't affect boot flex much at all.

Anyone who can fit you in Zipfit or Intuition or Palau can also advise you on alternatives in current boots.

Also, one is generally colder after losing 20 lbs, and one is generally colder on the first day. A low budget, low hassle temporary solution might be to try one of the space blanket reflective inserts/ toe wraps.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 8-01-09 17:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
comprex, Awwwwh your being so so helpful any ideas on where I can get these in the NW have just been looking at the lockwoods home page incase its new boots time - as I only have 2 weeks really to sort this out ?

thankyou so much for the advice and help !
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen LS, in the US, sorry Puzzled
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lucky you well I hopefully wont be buying them there given the current exchange rate !! Oh if only it was the glory days of last feb at 2 $ Smile

Thanks again for your help comprex,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen LS, try PM'ing CEM - he may be able to help you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1 toes often feel cold in the fridge due to the temperature coming up from below
2 sounds like the boot is a little big or has packed out
3 the old rival was a B to put on in the first place

as for a solution, you could try a volume reducer shim which is a flat non compresssible insole which goes under the lienr to take up a little volume in the boot ..should stop you curling your toes, do you have a footbed in the boot ...if not worth getting one

if it is new boots it is definately worth getting them fitted correctly where are you going in the US you are cutting it fine for time over here but it may be we can point you towards somewhere over there
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
CEM, Thankyou for answering this thankyou for point 3 !!! I have always suffered with this one and am sure I have nearly brokend my foot on several occasions ! Is there any chance you could fit me in for an appointment ?

If I give you some weekdays when i am free over the next 2 weeks pretty please (its only a 6 hour round trip !) ? I already have custom footbeds in them and they have some extra padding bits added in places etc from when I got them adjusted in banff the other year I am just worried I have left it to late to find any as its January and my feet are odd !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle, did you transmit that to him telepathically (I dont know how to spell such a big word I am scouse Wink ) Thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen LS, i am around next week but then off for a few days sliding around and working abroad...give me a call in the office tomorrow on 01869 244424 [leave me a message if you get the machine...it is really busy right now and i don't always get to the phone] we can talk it through..... depending on size and foot shape it will be either simple or not Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM, will deffo call you in the am thankyou for your advice so far xx
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy