Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

new skis - scott punishers

Poster: A snowHead
have finally made up my mind to get some Scott Punishers.
i'm told by most people that i should ski them in 182 (5ft9ins & 12.5stone male advanced skiier) but after skiing a few years on 162 metrons i kind of like the convenience of transporting the shorter skis. I know i won't get away with that length on punishers, but would like to opt for the 172 (i know they ski a bit shorter due to the twin tips).

I just know you are all going to tell me to go for the 182... BUT... what am i going to notice different skiing 172 instead of 182? I'm a 50/50 on/off piste skiier & don't go in the parks (much).

oh, & lastly, i actually prefer the graphics on the 2008 model, anyone know anyone who still has them?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it really that much harder to carry longer skis?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
everywhere pretty much sold out of last years. If you're not doing park and more off piste then defo go for the longer 182.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, only on the Paris Metro Evil or Very Mad mine are 191s
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Is it really that much harder to carry longer skis?

Arv - it is if your ski bag is 170 long & you drive a fiat panda!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, show off Toofy Grin

bambi, I don't think you should go down a length for portability; I have 3 pairs in the Corsa Laughing Buy a new ski bag, man!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
and a new car.. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
papasmurf, why? I don't see anything wrong with it.

snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Theres way to little rust, it must be a fake!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bambi, If you don't go in the park why not get scott missions instead which can be skied shorter:
Posted this before but my Punisher 191's have a "running lenght" only 1cm more than my 176 piste skis.
15cm longer to gain 1cm of flat bit on the base....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bambi, like II says, punishers ski much shorter than their measured length. The 172 will be very short for you. I'd go for the 182 or as II suggests, the 178 mission snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i'm on a budget II - the missions are a lot more expensive... (can get punishers plus S10's for about £330... ) but i take your point..

arv, i have emotional attachments to my ski bag wink

still no answer to my original question?
Quote:

what am i going to notice different skiing 172 instead of 182?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bambi, the 172 will offer less float off piste and the 182's will be more stable at speed.. whether you notice it? Sorry can't tell you. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bambi, which model Metron were you on? If you were comfortably skiing the B5 then you need to be on the 191 Punisher as anything shorter will seem very soft.

I'm 5'9"/14st & I was on the 162 Metron B5 & now ski a 187 semi twin with no problem at all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
B5 spyderjon.. 191..? blimey, i'm not going to need a new car, i'm going to need a lorry! wink

maybe nomad crimson would be a better bet? pricey though & have flat tails don't they?
snow report
bambi, flat tails.
snow report
ok.. here's another question...

i'd like a ski about 170 that skis as good as a B5 on piste but is pretty good off-piste too, particularly in powder (though doesn't need to cope with neck deep stuff!) And would prefer at least a semi-twin tip, something like the B5 tail Puzzled
snow conditions
bambi, is this in addition to the skis mentioned above or instead of?
latest report
instead of arv.. only want one pair really...
snow conditions
bambi, It's called snowboard now stop messin' about and meet us on the darkside.
ski holidays
i was considering these:

movement karma sutra
salomon lord
nomad crimson (ti?)

before deciding on the punisher
latest report
bambi, hehe & no I'm not kidding.

I had the first pair of Nomad Crimson's in the UK a couple of seasons ago - it's a crackin' ski also. You'll ski the 176 Crimson ok but if you really like hooning it you'll soon find it's speed limit. The new stiffer ti version of the Crimson will be great for you in 176 but if you go for the non ti version then you should get the 184.

Although the construction of the Crimson & Punisher is very different they do ski similarily. Hoever I'd say the Crimson out performs the Punisher on piste due to it's higher rail mounted binding (with which you can always play around with the fore/aft positioning) but it's the other way around when off piste. Definately better hard snow edge hold with the Crimson. If you go for the Punisher keep away from those crappy Z10 bindings that they always want to mount on them.

How about the Icelantic Pilgrim's in 179? They are twin but a stiffer than the Scott's & the 179 would suit your stats perfectly.
snow conditions
Quote:

bambi, It's called snowboard now stop messin' about and meet us on the darkside.

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
love the look of the pilgrims spyderjon.. please tell me i could get away with 169!! wink

any idea of the best price around complete? What are they like on icy pistes (have to ski them sometimes?)
latest report
what's to get away with...ski the right lenght or suffer on the slopes.
ski holidays
bambi, now I know how you got your username rolling eyes C'mon, step up Toofy Grin
snow report
bambi, FWIW I have skied B5 metrons for the past three seasons in both 162 and more recently in 172 and IMHO other than in bumps you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.Punishers are an excellent allrounder good on and off the piste.I used them in 10 inches of powder last easter and found them to have plenty of 'Float'.My stats/experience are pretty similar to yours.
I also have a pair of almost brand new (3 Days use) PUNISHERS in 172cm with the 2008 graphics, Saloman S 12 bindings IIRC,a few light scuffs and nicks on the topsheets ,bases perfect, yours for £270inc postage,bases prepped edges serviced ready to go.

Pm me if you are interested.
ski holidays
bambi, now I know how you got your username rolling eyes C'mon, step up Toofy Grin
[/quote]

ah no spyderjon.. that's cos i float like a bambi, and sting like a.... ummmmmm ?? Puzzled
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hedley

are the 172 the punishers you skiied on or were you on longer ones?
latest report
bambi, No i skiied the 172cm,They are fine. I am 1.82cm and 84kg. Remember they are fairly torsionally stiff for a twin tip and compared well with the B5,s which are mega stiff, I think personally unless you find loads of virgin powder where you can blast larger GS turns,the shorter length is more versatile through trees, crud,bumps etc Horses for courses. wink
snow conditions
cheers Hedley.. i have to ask, why are you selling? btw, virgin powder usually not an option!
snow report
bambi, Exactly, why I think for most 1or2 week a year skiiers 5cm here or there isnt a huge issue.Or maybe its only an issue on an internet forum and not on the slopes wink Three sets of skis only two pairs of legs Sad
latest report
I'm 178CM, ( 5'7), 72KG (11st4), and ski the 172 punishers. Skied all conditions with them last year, and great everywhere except possibly big hardpack moguls (not surprisingly!).

They are quite a heavy ski, and get better the harder you ski them. I found you need to use a fair bit of energy to get the best out of them and to get them from edge to edge quickly given (relative) width. Once you're really working them they seem to find another level.

I'm not as tall/heavy as you (Bambi), but it was suggested I get 182s by shop. I think that would have been fine if I'd been skiing a few weeks a year, and totally ski-fit, but was happy with shorter one for the two short breaks last year.
ski holidays
I got my mate some 172 punishers and he's 5 ft 10 n weighs bout 80 kg he didn't fancy going up the extra. I bought myself the scott sheelas which is virtually the same ski and i have gone with the 172 cm i'm 5ft 6 n weigh 75 kg. I know they are gunna be fine but i look at my 155 elan sl skis and think that they are big.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy