Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm totally gutted...No i despair

Poster: A snowHead
Out in la Plagne with my son (14) and a few others on saturday...problem is he's just been taken from school to hospital. He managed to get his thumb caught in the stair spindles at school and has done something to the base of his thumb...first injury for a couple of years! They have x rayed it and are saying it's not broken but injured ligaments. He's going back up to the fracture clinic tomorrow for a double check. So, here Iam looking at thumb braces on the net,anyone got experience of a similar injury and what they used to protect it? I know he can't board if it's fractured or broken,but ligament damage should be protected by a good brace. HELP.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Get it in a cast, make sure he learns to fall on elbows and he should be fine.

Caveat - this is not medical advice just a practical workaround wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyjc, agree with what fatbob, said
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Suggest adding a medical title to attract the attention of the snowHead doctors... just edit your first post (scissors icon)

Hope you get the all-clear
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
oh heck, I am out of here Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
andyjc, I've had ligament damage to both thumbs and got splints to support and protect them. The difference is I ski, though I did board in the mid 90's but not with the injury, so I can't offer a view for your son on how realistic it will be to board happyily at this time. (I was also shown a canny way to use my pole straps so that I would never injur myself the same way again, though it might happen another way so now I pack the splints each ski trip 'just in case'.)

Having said all that, a quick 'google' came up with this ... which looks like a good solution in the circumstances. Good luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rayscoops, Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not wanting to look on the down-side, but even if there isn't a problem with him boarding (which as it goes, a sore thumb probably wouldn't prevent IMO) he may struggle to do up his bindings even if he can get out on the mountain. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyjc, Just take the wee numpty with you and make said numpty stay in the apartment cleaning up your mess and preparing a delightful supper for your return from a great days sliding . . Delia's published a suitable tome for the numpty's reading level, age and gender related incompetence . . .

This will teach the clumsy prat not to do something so stupid as to endanger a ski trip. Evil or Very Mad

Alternatively: a shotgun, a shovel and a trip to B&Q for some patio paving . . . "he's gone travelling"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the absence of qualified medical opinion, and purely hypothetically should I be stuck out on a hill with days to run on my pass, and not to be recommended to anyone.............

Not a doc, but if it's not his primary hand, what I'd do is bind it tightly (once splinted/supported) to the hand so he can't use it at all, better protected that way, and may even help healing. As long as he's not too portly, he'll still be able to cinch up, albeit a bit slower. If it is the primary hand, same story, and he'll get quicker (or colder).

Or you could check your insurance and cancel. But people on sH's would seem to want to go out with a half severed neck than stay home...........................

Probably regret this post...........................seen the docs and scoops going hammer and tong on another thread. Never learn.........

John.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its obviously a conspiracy.
I'm going up the fracture clinic with him this morning to see what the doc says. I'm hoping they will put a soft cast on even if it's not broken. If it were me,I'd ski, with plenty of support and loads of top notch pain killers,would be more fun that way.Got his mum to contend with though. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andyjc, bribe her with sparkles wink

Back on topic, I have been on 2 holidays where there have been fractured wrists in casts. Both people got back on the board by the end of the week as they couldnt stand by and watch everyone else !

There was a little bit of pain & awkwardness with getting up / putting bindings on and they boarded a lot slower than they would, but they were happy not to have wasted the week. And as a sweetner they managed to claim all their lessons & passes back Cool
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DebbiDoesSnow, I've just pre booked my passes with ski collection! catered chalet all paid for! everything paid for! I've not looked at my insurance policy yet, but I gues it's only valid from the first day of travel, which is tomorrow. I'm praying that it wont come to that. Like I say,a soft cast would do the trick.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyjc, have you not got winter sports insurance ? that normally covers equipment, lessons etc .... although as you it may not cover pre-existing injuries if you dont have an annual policy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DebbiDoesSnow, Yes,I've got insurance but it's single trip. Not looked at it yet.
ski holidays
I woud. with out a doubt, take the holiday and board. The lad is boarding does not need to hold poles, he can get up off his knees with the use of one hand, he get get someone to help him with his bindings (or get a set of step-in Flows Laughing ), maybe best if he uses gondolas instead of chair lifts, and if he can avoid falling then all will be fine Very Happy he may even enjoy taking it a bit easier and working on a few techniques (carving) that he would not normally do !!
snow report
Yeah, get a set of flows - that'll teach him to go and damage himself. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
can't you just chop of his hand?
ski holidays
I quite like the 'wear flows as a punishment' idea Laughing
ski holidays
Been to the hospital and.......Doc says he's ok!! bl**dy ell, kids! He's got a splint support thing going on coz of some ligament damage, but he should be ok. I feel like I'm floating,some weight off my shoulders. Like Ray says,he can slow down a bit and work on technique,do me good as well!
Thanks everyone for sharing my anxiety and blind panic.
ski holidays
andyjc, Good news Razz
ski holidays
andyjc, top banana Very Happy but he will go slow for the first half day when you arrive, then he will be banging down the blacks Laughing
latest report
It's probably good practice to strap his thumb to his hand at that age anyway.

(and hide the Grattons catalogue while you're at it)
ski holidays
Insist it's x-rayed again ... Twisted Evil

(drops bomb and runs)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy