Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice for great terrain and conditions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I are looking for a place to go Jan 17th. We have two weeks to ski/ride. We’ve been to Chamonix the last two years and really liked the area. There were quite a lot of other resorts within one hours drive so we have been to several of them.

So I’m looking for advice. I only care about the snow conditions and the terrain. My wife would like a little culture but she also puts the terrain near the top of her list.

I’ve read some good things about St. Anton but the area looks like it’s south facing which looks like it gets sun baked. I’m not a fan of the sun. I like it to be snowing and blowing. We look for North facing areas or resorts that have North facing slopes.

Someone recommended Trois Valleees but that area looks so big. Can someone recommend a smaller resort area that has great terrain and historically good snow conditions for expert skiers/snowboarders? By snow conditions I’m referring to lighter snow rather than heavy wet snow usually found in lower altitudes.

We checked out ski Himalaya but haven’t heard back from them yet. My wife would prefer France or Italy anyway.

We don't care about big name resorts. The smaller ones are great as long as the terrain is nice.

Any suggestions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads!

NWskier wrote:
Someone recommended Trois Valleees but that area looks so big.

Why not go there, but just ski a small part of it ? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NWskier, welcome to Snowheads!

Whilst I haven't been to that many resorts, the best area I have been to for good skiing has to be Arabba in the Dolomites, Italy. The transfer to get there is a little on the long side but the skiing more than made up for that. The Portavescova mountain has a lot of north facing slopes that were groomed to perfection when we went in March last year, and there are a lot of good steep black and red runs. The village itself is pretty as well, and there are various other good linked areas including the Marmolada glacier and the resorts around the Sella Ronda. The Dolomiti Superski liftpass covers a large number of other resorts in the area, many of which are very small but have great terrain - I would highly recommend a few hours spent at Cinque Torre for example.

Good luck Very Happy
snow conditions
 brian
brian
NWskier, The Italians have caught the best of the recent snow and look the most likely to get any on offer over the next couple of weeks. I'd be looking into the Val d'Aoste I think (Alagna, Gressoney etc).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think about Canada or the US. With 2 weeks you could do a mini tour of some great resorts in BC/Alberta. Amazing skiing with light dry fluffy snow in the Rockies and lots of off un-pisted in-bounds skiing. There's many resorts relatively close together on the Alberta/BC border that all offer amazing terrain and more or less guaranteed powder.

There's plenty of discussion on here about Banff and Lake Louise.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy