Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

now I'm really annoyed

Poster: A snowHead
admin Sorry to hear that Sad Sad ...we had a cable lock but the first time we used it someone did that domino thing with all the skis on the rack and the lock disintegrated! After that we just haven't bothered.....mind you we'll be in the 3V's ourselves in a couple of week so may have to look at getting something beefier if there are such determined wretches around. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dan wrote:
ise, unfortunately.........yes, quite a few! Crying or Very sad /

really, where ? In twenty years skiing and latterly of a 100 days a year I've not heard of a single one. Is there some crime magnet I'm not visiting? Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dan,
Sorry, but missed you in Sauze over the New Year.
I can't say I heard of any skis being nicked there and I quite regulalry left mine outside the Village and outside mountain restaurants. But then, I always lock mine with a semi-sturdy cable lock. As always, only a deterrent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry to hear about the bad luck U. Thieving b@stards! Hope the insurance covers it, though it's scant consolation. Makes you look at everyone in a suspicious light doesn't it?

For the record, I always tend to use a ski lock and was dicking around, trying to undo it once - not one person challenged me. I wonder who would? Apart from the langauge difficulties, most people seem to mind their own business on holiday, when it comes to things like this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buns, a padlock might freeze up if you get water in it. And you've got to find the key. A well designed combination lock is a better idea. If you can find a cycling style multi-stranded wire and combi lock which is not too heavy or bulky, I reckon that's the answer. You won't cut them with leatherman pliers and it'll take some time with a decent hacksaw. Cycling lock cables are usually a bit longer which gives you a better chance of looping round a rack upright or whatever, so your skis can't be lifted and the lock removed round the back of the restaurant.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Incidentally if you have insurance through the ski club then unlocked skis are not covered and even locked skis are subject to drastic devaluation based on age.

I've now gota cable lock but it's a real pain when your mates want you to try and lock theirs too.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a pair of hired skis nicked a few years back. This year as a deterrant I used a length of chain and a padlock. I wrapped it around the skis between the bindings, looped it through a link and then wrapped it around my wifes blades the same way and then shut the padlock. Its long enough to wrap around a post etc for more security if required. The chain is quite thick so unless you had a pair of hefty cutters or a small hacksaw you would not be able to cut it easily, unlike a thin wire. My thinking was if a wire is easy to cut then why buy a lock similar to those mentioned above? The weight isnt too excessive and its didnt take up much room either. I doubt if the average tealeaf would bother to carry a pair of bolt cutters or a hack saw. Whether its the best I dont know but I would think the sight of a thick chain and padlock would put most would-be thiefs off.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Strange that I've never heard of any independent test of these locks, has anyone else?

I've seen tests for cycle locks.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickW wrote:
Incidentally if you have insurance through the ski club then unlocked skis are not covered and even locked skis are subject to drastic devaluation based on age.

They are covered in fact. I had a real wrangle with the underwriters when the wording was so ambiguous about the conditions of cover. That resulted in a cover letter sent out explaining that skis left in designated areas outside restaurants and mountain stops would be covered, whether locked or not. I think the only stipulation was that skis should be split and not left unattended over night, outside. They also explained that the insurance conditions were going to be ammended and re-printed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, I have no where near as much experience as you but various resorts but mostly in france, some in Italy, and all boards Evil or Very Mad It's a very recent phenomenon, until last year i'd never heard of skis/boards being stolen.

Caspar, Did you have a good trip? Always made it to the Village for "Matts free half pint" & peanuts ~5.30 - 6pm, then we'd leave and go elsewhere after catching up on the cricket highlights. Had a good evening of watching Leicester Tigers v Gloucester in Paddies. Spent New Year in The Cotton Club Laughing The Village is where my mate got his unlocked board stolen from - outside at the top, i always took mine downstairs and inside! 2 guys who were in the shop next to the Ghost bar had their boards stolen and they were locked outside Paddy McGynties (sp??) and The Village.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bad luck on the skis. I've had my hire skis "borrowed" and whilst I got it sorted it wasted about an hour and a half whilst everyone else was skiing and here's the thing we were outside with the skis in site but we weren't looking at the rack all the time and someone took them. The charade of swapping skis I think is useful as a deterent to mistaken identity of hire skis but not a lot else.

I was just wondering what the wording on ski insurance policies is and mine is

"Section 11 - Wintersports Equipment
We shall reimburse You, up to the maximum limit in the Schedule of Cover, in respect of the accidental loss of
or theft of or damage to snowboards, skis, bindings, boots or poles, subject to a Single Item limit as specified.
There is an overall limit in respect of hired equipment as specified in the Schedule of Cover.
Please note: Claims for owned wintersports equipment will only be calculated as follows:
Up to 12 months old - 90% of purchase price
Up to 24 months old - 70%
Up to 36 months old - 50%
Up to 48 months old - 30%
Up to 60 months old - 20%
Over 60 months old - 0%
Section 11 Excludes
We will not pay for claims arising from:
1. accidental loss of or theft of or damage to property left unattended other than whilst:
(a) in Your locked accommodation.
(b) in a locked boot or locked and covered luggage compartment of a motor vehicle provided that:
(i) there is evidence of forcible and violent entry to such vehicle.
(ii) no cover shall apply in respect of property in vehicles left unattended at any time between the
hours of 10 pm and 8 am.
2. loss of or damage to any article or goods on roof racks:
(a) by weather conditions resulting from the failure to protect items.
(b) by theft or malicious persons while the vehicle is unattended unless the rack was locked and secure and
there is evidence of forcible entry before 10 pm and after 8 am.
3. damaged wintersports equipment owned by You not returned to the United Kingdom for inspection.
4. wintersports equipment used by persons for whom it was not designed.
5. any loss theft or suspected theft unless You inform the Police and obtain a written report.
6. accidental loss of or theft of or damage to property whilst in the custody of an airline or other carrier, unless
reported immediately on discovery. In the case of an airline, a Property Irregularity Report must be
obtained.
7. the applicable excess as stated in the Schedule of Cover"

So I wouldn't be insured for leaving them outside the restaurant. I think I might look into getting insurance with the rental shop or a lock.....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dan,
Had a great trip, cheers. I too took my skis downstairs at the Village. If you were in at that time, you would probably (most days) have seen a bunch of us at the bar by the till exchanging banter with the staff and occasionally mooing.
Spent New Years in the Moncrons with our friend Mark before going to the Village at about 2 in the morning - finally made it to bed at about 6 in the morning. Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
this is a nightmare - wouldn't you just love to catch the F*&&*r as he's just put one ski on! I'd not get tired of battering him with both poles.

Does this resurrect the SNOWHEADS stickers theme - if you had a snowheads sticker on your skis it'd certainly make it easier to prove that the skis were yours assuming you did catch up with the thieving w*$&*r!!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slowplough,
amputation as punishment sounds a bit drastic, but if it was the feet, then they wouldn't have a leg to stand on, would they! Laughing

It seems to me that the qestion is not what is going to stop the thieves. A determined criminal will always be ahead of the game. My local crime prevention officer said it was about making it as difficult as possible and also doing what was necessary to meet insurance company requirements.

In the end though nothing can help the feeling of outrage when something like this happens. The Fitzwilliams don't care.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will a bike lock actually fit through the bindings?

I would have thought that splitt ing skis could be more of a problem, if you had a would be thief and he just grabbed the first pair he saw and ran..... he may not check what they are, simply that they are together..... now although you have managed to stop the thief making a profit, you have now not only lost your own skis, but your mates likewise!

Ad
latest report
You could always just bury your skis! Toofy Grin

Seriously, if the padlock chain screams steal me then you could at least conceal it a bit by laying the skis down and covering it with snow.

My sympathies Admin. Its a horrible feeling, you must be gutted.
snow report
Quote:

Will a bike lock actually fit through the bindings?

probably not but if you figure-of-eighted it tightly enough round the skis between the bingings so they can't be lifted out vertically and ideally also round a pole that ought to do it.
snow report
Does anyone know what the insurance supplied with hire skis covers you for?
snow report
Sorry to hear about that ... totally gutting!!!!!

A few years ago in Alpe D'Huez I was waiting for friends near a restaurant next to a pile of skis\boards, some guy came up to me and asked if 'this' board was mine, 'not mine' I replied thinking he probably didn't want to pick up the wrong board - off he goes with board under arm. 2 mins later a distraut lad comes over who can't find his board, the cheeky b**tarding thief had the nerve to ask before he knicked it!!!

My motorbike has one of those datatag thingies, are they expensive, could you fit one to skis, i dunno???
snow conditions
Chris Reed,
When I asked in Tignes last month I was told, full cost if damaged, half the value if stolen, so you wouldn't just nick them yourself Shocked
latest report
We've talked about DIY ski finders, for losing them in powder, would one of those things help in this situation (if you spotted the skis missing early enough)?
ski holidays
David Goldsmith, I've never had any skis stolen, but I cover all my new ones with horrible stickers to make them less apealing. I 've also been know to gouge scratches in the tops of brand new skis - never fails. I've just stuck stickers for our local mechanic all over my new Fischers!

admin, I rented a pair of Pocekt Rockets once and was absolutely terrified they'd be knicked - much too pretty. Sorry to hear about your loss.
snow report
Really sorry to hear that U - what b*stards there are around Evil or Very Mad

I reckon it's time for another snowHeads donation snowHead

Incidentally, having just returned from Bad Hofgastein we couldn't believe how relaxed everyone was with their skis and other belongings. We're so used to locking our skis up all the time with much paranoia and everyone was just casually leaving theirs, even right next to the road. Skis left on roof-racks in car parks, people leaving their belongings all round the hotel. Must have been one of the most theft-free places we've visited. Incidentally one of the most non-foreign tourist resorts we've visited - coincidence?
snow report
i used to use one of those retractabe cable locks till it bug##rd up ,and this cable was wafer thin, so in the bin it went
now i have got one of these http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/products/MLFFE.htm .not to bulky , sometimes awkward to straighten(likes to stay coiled) but use it with a better padlock , i dont recon a leatherman will cut through it
ski holidays
Admin, sorry to hear about your skis Sad - I'm getting really put off about skiing in Europe now, since we don't seem to have too much of a problem with theft over here. It's more a case of loosing them because I've forgotten where I've put them. I wonder if the fact that the resorts here are more self contained has anything to do with it, or are people in California more inclined to leave other's stuff alone?
latest report
Just a thought - has anybody tried taking their skis/board into a restaurant to avoid leaving them unattended ?.

I guess that the restaurateurs wouldn't be too happy Evil or Very Mad Suppose the fact that we are prepared to leave them outside/unlocked doesn't really persuade the owners to provide lockable racks.
ski holidays
pollittcl, perhaps a proportion of your fellow skiers are armed. Sounds like U might have been able to get a clear shot from the balcony Shocked.

U, commiserations.
snow report
Has anyone thought about having skis alarmed?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
has anybody tried taking their skis/board into a restaurant to avoid leaving them unattended

That will be our policy for the rest of the week. Will let u know how we get on.
snow report
Sorry about your loss U. I hope that it doesn't ruin your week (or your wallet).

Prompted by this I just bought one of those retractable cable combination lock things on ebay. My £0.01 bid was successful - but then, maybe that is all it is worth!! (Though any theft will now be covered by insurance).
latest report
Quote:

Has anyone thought about having skis alarmed?

Or just a big, prominent, multi-lingual sticker saying they're alarmed would be a cheap deterrent. Until we all do it. Can somebody translate THESE SKIS ARE ALARMED into French, German, Italian and Russian.
latest report
Doubt the Russians who find their way to Courchevel need to nick skis! Reckon it's a Franco-British problem on the whole.

CES SKIS SONT MUNIS D'UN DISPOSITIF D'ALARME !!!

(Typically long-winded French)....
snow report
Thanks PG and you're probably right about the Ruskies. More money than sense, most of them, and none of them any manners. The Telegraph had an interesting article last Saturday about the Russian invasions - if/when if makes it to the online section I'll post it.
Do you reckon a little plastic box stuck on somewhere (velcro perhaps) painted red and with these words would have any effect.
snow conditions
If you split and lock, then they have to get through two locks to get a pair of skis. It's best if you have arranged who's splitting before you get to the restaurant and get off the skis a little way away, then it's less obvious that you've done it.
snow conditions
I just split them and make it just a bit difficult. And this is another reason I hire and insure. Then it is only inconvience as the ski shop has the hassle.
I must say in over 20 years skiing I have only known this happen once with a group and that was in St Anton. We came down very late from the KK and went looking for something to eat. We parked our skis inside the hall of a restuarant in the village. Whoever nicked them probably concluded that we were on a session and it was obvious who we were as we were ski in our ski gear at 22;30 or so and very drunk. So not a differcult feat for an oppurtunist.
ski holidays
PG wrote:
(Typically long-winded French)....

...but not ambiguous like the English! "THESE SKIS ARE ALARMED!" -- well perhaps they should go for a stiff drink then and maybe a lie down? wink

In Italiano: Questi sci sono protetti da un allarme antifurto. I'm sure Matteo can provide a more concise and idiomatic version snowHead
snow conditions
Better to take the lead of the US, can we get a snowHeads "ARMED RESPONSE" sticker.
ski holidays
JT wrote:
And this is another reason I hire and insure. Then it is only inconvience as the ski shop has the hassle.

I was insured with the shop but this only covers at max 50% and you have to wait, report loss to the police wait, fill in forms, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,.............
So a lot of hassle let alone being up a mountain with no skiis for a wasted day!
snow conditions
My skis have my name printed on them. Do other people not think this a reasonable deterrent?

Actually my skis are now so old that no self-respecting thief would take them anyway, except by mistake and even then would hand them back with disdain, but in principle ‘naming’ them is surely a good idea?
ski holidays
The pair of hired in Uk ski's I had stolen had the name of the hire shop printed on them, on the bindings and also their telephone number and post code. Didnt stop the thief.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy