Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

now I'm really annoyed

Poster: A snowHead
I don't like France, I don't like 3valleys and I don't like La Saulire, I just had my b***** skis nicked!

Left them for 10 minutes, split them, and weren't even in a town: we were on top of the mountain!!! Some SOB had them away pronto and left one inferior replacement ski in each of the places my skis had been.

They weren't just any old skis either, they were my beloved Pocket Rockets; they'd felt like skiing on jelly all day so I'd just had them re-edged. One little test run (they felt wikid again), a toilet stop and gone!!!

What do U have to do take your skis to the loo with U??

Thoroughly gutted!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sorry to hear that U!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What a pain. Join the club (Stolen Ski Club of Great Britain). Has anyone not had a pair of skis stolen?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Me, but ive always had rentals, however have brand new shiny volkls and will deff be taking them to the loo with me!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
admin, Gutted sorry to here, can you claim on insurance some policies if skis are split when left do allow you to claim. Not quite as good as catching and castrating the B@~*&^
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I am surprised to learn one could loose a pair of skies at the top of Saulire. It is awful that an experienced skier able to do red and black runs would nick a fellow skier's equipment.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sad tale. It's getting to the point where you need to carry a damn bike lock around with you and lock your ski's to a police officer. Or a cougar... now that would be interesting. I've just bought a small cable lock but don't think that it would stop a real effort.

Good luck with the insurance.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh no! Awful!! Evil or Very Mad

Could that French scum from Meribel ( http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2972 ) have branched out? It was on the back of this earlier thread that I bought a cable lock, and in the 3V over new year I religiously split skis with my friends (who also own cable locks) and made sure whenever possible that all the skis were cabled to something immovable as well as to each other. I guess that's no consolation, but it is sad that we have to go to these lengths nowadays and your experience proves it's necessary.

Scarpa, agreed a cable lock won't stop a determined thief but it will encourage casual, light-fingered opportunist scum to go look elsewhere.

Good luck getting it sorted out, admin.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We know you loved those Pocket Rockets, sorry to hear they are gone Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
That is indeed bad news. I always worry about ski theft, it's really annoying. I don't actually ever let my skis go out of veiw when in france and the like, which is a real pain as i have to sit outside in the mountain cafes so i can keep an eye on them. I know everyone knocks Andorra but soldeu is the one place where there were always plenty of ski lockers outside the eating establishments albeit at the cost of 1 euro (which i don't mind paying for piece of mind). Why more resorts don't have ski lockers i don't know?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
That's a blow, sorry to hear that. Told you you should have headed for Paradiski! What can you do apart from ski on battered planks - someone would be doing me a favour if they nicked mine. These thieves don't give a t*ss. I suppose they think that if you can afford to travel to Courchevel to ski then you can afford to have your skis nicked. But what can be done about it? Not much, as far as I can see, short of making it compulsory to lock up your skis outside mountain/resort restaurants in specially provided lockers, and how would you prove you've done just that if you still have them nicked? A restaurant employee to give you a receipt? Just more added costs to the total holiday price Confused
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Has anyone not had a pair of skis stolen?
just caught someone stepping into my skis once. And they were beat up rentals c/w stickers and numbers. Turned out the guy had exactly the same model from the same shop and had plonked them in the snow only a few feet from mine. Innocent mistake.

Bad news Admin hope your insurance is new-for-old.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to hear that Admin but..............

Having had a set of xscreams stolen in Chamonix, I never leave my skis or Madams with out locking them up.

Makes me feel like Victor Meldrew but at least I don't lose a day's sking and spend hours reporting the loss to some disinterested Gendarme.

All you other snowHeads take note this sort of thing is rife!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had my (rented in UK) ski's nicked once by the Crystal rep in Andora. Can't trust anyone.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A lock's going to help, splitting the skis is total farce and manifestly not going to help at all. I've always been staggered anyone would think it might be a deterrent.

I mean just think how you'd go about stealing a pair of skis, sit and wait for the victim to arrive with the skis you want, watch where they put them, wait until you see the victim go out of sight and take the skis. The deterrent effect of splitting the skis then is exactly zero.

Some groups arrive and make such a performance of splitting the skis there's no one in an 800m radius who doesn't know exactly where the skis are.

Restaurants and lift companies really could do more to help, providing locks etc. The locks you buy are pretty poor and wouldn't stop a determined thief I suspect but they are a limited deterrent.
snow report
U, How did u get back down the hill?

When my mate snapped a binding on his board in Avoriaz (near the top of a mountain) the lifties refused to let him use the chair lift back to resort.
A combination of shanks's pony and piggy back skiing got him back into resort safe and sound though absolutely shattered.
snow report
Boardski, the lift people might refuse but the piste security would probably agree with you and sort it out.
snow report
Rotten luck. I agree witht the idea of locking. Not totally fuolproof, but it must help.

PS. If you don't like where U R, why R U there Puzzled
ski holidays
There are times when I think the Middle Eastern idea of justice would be welcome in ski resorts, remove someones hand for stealing your skis and it would soon stop the barstewards Mad
ski holidays
D G Orf,
Removing their feet would seem to be more appropriate Shocked
snow report
Slowplough, I thought about that but from what I've seen artificial hands are much harder to hide than artificial feet, maybe reomve a foot for the second offence ?
ski holidays
What's all the more gauling is that I reckon I saw the voleur making his escape. looked over the balcony at 'the view' and said to Mme Brain, "look, htere's a guy on PR's he's probably nicked mine". Then I saw one of his mates had 1080's (there was another on a board) and I thought Mme B was being para to run over and check but they were gone.
They went down the Meribel/Mottaret side.

As I said, they left a set of inferior skis: scratch Pro Teens. A junior model of the Rossi Scratch about 150's. Same binding size so I kicked them on and bombed down the hill after them. Chose the Meribel route as more people go that way, hurtling down, checking every set of skis I passed. Hung around at the Chaudanne for a while to see if they turned up but no.
I would have had to have got a bit lucky really and even then, there were 3 of them, I might have had a little trouble taking repossession at that point.
latest report
Nick Zotof I liked it fine until 4:30 yesterday afternoon Sad
latest report
Admin, so are going to see a pair of Scratch Pro teens offered in Buy, Sell or Exchange? Sorry to hear your hoilday has been spoilt.
ski holidays
admin, OK, understood. I'd be gutted if it happened to me. How are you coping now?
ski holidays
What do the police say to do with the scratch Pro Teens ? Or were they reported stolen a week before?
snow report
Shocked Shocked Shocked

Really sorry to hear about that U. It seems theft is rife at ski resorts now, it certainly was in Sauze over new year - although i've only every heard of boards being nicked not skis? Although some of the thieves are muppets and real oppertunists so see something lying around and pick it up and nick it, not realising it's a 5 year old crap board with even worse bindings!!

Have to agree that one thing andorra was doing well was providing lockers outside restaurants to use. The only other place I have seen them is down the bottom of Tignes Le Lac. Personally we never leave our gear out of our sight, always leave one person (usually me rolling eyes ) to look after all the gear while everyone else goes and gets whatever they need. The locks you can buy are very very very poor and with a decent pen knife/leatherman you could through in 1 second. Waste of time unless it is specified that you need one in your insurance policy (.........even then you could tell them it was locked up wink ). As someone already said you almost need a bike lock, but then it's another thing you have to carry.

Hope you get to enjoy the rest of your trip U, and hope no one else suffers from this during the season - as someone on ITV used to say Shocked "Keep them peeled" Shocked snowHead Laughing
ski holidays
Dan wrote:
The locks you can buy are very very very poor and with a decent pen knife/leatherman you could through in 1 second. Waste of time unless it is specified that you need one in your insurance policy (.........even then you could tell them it was locked up wink ). As someone already said you almost need a bike lock, but then it's another thing you have to carry.

They're not brilliant but some are OK. As for useless, do you know anyone that's ever had a skis or boards stolen on the slopes that was using a lock? I suspect not, whereas there's quite a few who get split skis stolen.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ise, what lock do you use?
latest report
I'm going to struggle to answer that, it's in the pocket of my jacket which is in the apartment so I won't see it until the weekend. I'll google later and see if one looks familiar.
snow report
I agree with Dan, I had a combination lock with a cable on my skis which became jammed. The cable was supposed to be high strength blade resistant, joke. I cut through it using my Leathermen pliers. No one asked me what I was doing at all, could quite easily have been a thief. BTW the lock is the one sold by Slush & Rubble, carries their name etc absolute rubbish.
ski holidays
It's a Kryptonite Kryptogrip Ski/Snowboard Lock, seems fine to me.
ski holidays
ise, thanks. I agree with you it's a detrrent, and I will be getting one. Always like a personal recomendation before I buy.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, not the point though is it? Do you know anyone who's had locked skis stolen?
latest report
Nick Zotov,
See my post above,
I know that a determined felon would be able to cut the cable and make off with the skis or somehow pick the lock, but with all the other skis around unattended and not tied down why target the ones that are going to take time to steal?
Picking up skis that aren't locked can be excused as a mistake, but locked skis???????
The lock on my skilocs are quite robust and unless removed will not allow the thief to ski off.

I would be surprised if any locked skis were ever stolen outside a bar on the slopes.
Not only that, but knowing they're locked makes me feel much more relaxed whilst drinking a cold beer.

Still, each to their own
ski holidays
Slowplough, with you all the way. They're on my to-get-pre-holiday list.
snow report
admin,
Sorry to hear that, hope their balls are cheese grated in hell.

I've got something like this ......

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/department/equipment/ski/ski_tools_and_accessories/products/ETIAV.htm

but am thinking of upgrading to something a bit more beefy, maybe a bicycle lock would be better.

http://www.snowshack.com/krypc4comloc.html
snow conditions
admin, in order to turn a negative into a positive, what will you buy with the insurance money?

top tip is to compare your home contents insurance with your travel insurance and see which gives you the better deal. When my board was stolen by contents insurance gave me full replacement value whereas by travel insurance would have heavily discounted it due to the board's age.
latest report
Quote:
They're not brilliant but some are OK. As for useless, do you know anyone that's ever had a skis or boards stolen on the slopes that was using a lock? I suspect not, whereas there's quite a few who get split skis stolen.

ise, unfortunately.........yes, quite a few! Crying or Very sad And with a very similar type of lock to what you are using. Basically it can act as a deterrant but talking to shop owners in Sauze, they also act as a magnet so that if they are locked up then your skis/board are worth nicking - for a 1second snip with a leatherman..........where is the deterrant?? The thieves up on the mountains will generally be well organsied and know what to steal - I guess they almost can have a shopping list of well known, easy to sell on skis/boards...... Puzzled
snow conditions
Surely it isnt hard to buy a thin steel rope, weld a couple of metal rings on the ends and use a padlock? Guaranteed it wont get circumvented with a pocket knife! In any case, my main reason for locking is going to be that I am insured if they are locked, im not if they arent. Whether it deters or not (and I tend to think like Ise would here), it keeps my money safe!

Ad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy