Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help!!! Resorts within a drive of Basle, Switzerland

Poster: A snowHead
Hi There peeps

Hope you people in here can help us out. Me and me brother are looking at doing a long weekend in Switzerland skiing end Jan / early Feb, as we can get a flight for 40 quid return!!!

Our kid has suggested Zermatt aint too far away, any other ideas, or even over the border into Austria???

All opinions gratefully received, our kid is an advanced skier of 15 years, and I've had 4 weeks and am comfortable on all blues and reds.

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Zermatt's a long way from Basle. Probably a 3-hour drive, plus the short rail transfer from Tasch. Other resorts with glaciers (which with current thinnish snow could be needed) which are a lot closer include Laax-Flims and Engelberg (above the Lake of Lucerne). Both are good. Laax might be best for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More like 4 or more hours to Zermatt, totally the other end of the country. Engelberg's not too far, maybe around an hour and a half. Laax would be over 2 hrs I think. Meiringen's not too far either and it's pretty nice round there.

Try myswiterland.com, they've a map and show various ski stations.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Adelboden would be within reach - 100miles ~ 1 3/4 hours ish drive. It has a good range of skiing but no idea on current conditions.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jungfrau Region should also be within reach, for a weekend I'd suggest Interlaken or Grindelwald if driving, subject to snow conditions of course
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have used Easyjet to Basel for St Anton. Before anyone shouts, yes it's about a 3 hour, maybe 3 and half hour journey. But, and here's the the thing - we work a good half day, get the 18:25 from Luton, drive to resort at night. Wake up and ski. The day of return we can ski till 2pm or so 'cause the flight isn't till 9:30pm or so. Whether it works for a Liverpool flight I don't know (judging from your location Charlatanefc. If you did choose the Arlberg area then you may wish to stay at Ichgl rather than St Anton - you would probably prefer the skiing.

There maybe German resorts you could consider too!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
From Basel I would choose Engleberg if you are an adventurous skier. Or if you like cruising then the Junfrau or a little further Morgins, Leysin/Villars are all just up a hill from the motroway network
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the ideas people, we are getting a hire car so timings shouldn't be too much of an issue. Jungfrau sounds like a good option. Anyone know how Switzerland compares to france for the usual stuff: Beer in pubs, Can of Coke, Evening Meals etc????

Thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Charlatanefc, in Switzerland your best option might be to book into a hotel on Half Board, typically you get very good value for money on your evening meal, as an example the hotel I stay in charges just about £10 extra per night to include dinner, which is usually a 5 course meal.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bloody hell, some of you need a map. Leysin, Morgins, Zermatt ? I know it's a small country but really............

Basel's right at the corner of the country farthest from skiing no need to make it worse by driving past half of the stations Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any ideas then please Ise? We're currently looking at Andermatt. Any opinions on here?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Andermatt sounds good to me. Engelberg is a good bet, it's a glacier and open in the summer so you'll have guaranteed snow. I like Meiringen as well. Adelboden's a good suggestion, and Murren/Grindelwald etc would be nearly the same distance.

On balance, off the cuff, Engelberg would be a good bet, right now there's not so much snow so the glacier offers some security.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ise, on the other hand the more convenient places like Engelberg will be busier at the weekend.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
good point, mostly because it a glacier at the moment I should think.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Ise, we've narrowed it down to either Andermatt or Wengen/Murren. What is Murren like for getting to and round? I believe we have to dump the hire car then get the funicular with all our gear??? How much is an average pint in these resorts???

Thanks Ian
snow conditions
Charlatanefc: I would give Murren a miss for now. The cable car to the higher runs is out of operation until I think 12th march. If you are thinking about Jungfrau region, I would opt for Wengen.
latest report
Charlatanefc, avoid Murren until the cable car gets fixed, currently not expected until mid March, Wengen is fine but you need to get the train up, carpark right by the station down in Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald is a drive in resort as is Lauterbrunnen. Expect to pay about 3.5 CHf for a small bear or 5CHf for a big beer, it might be a bit more I don't keep track of beer prices very much as I don't drink the stuff
snow conditions
Thanks chaps, will bear that in mind. That sounds bloody cheap for a beer too. Always thought Wengen was supposed to be an expensive resort a la Meribel or Courchevel?
latest report
Charlatanefc, fortunately that's what everyone else thinks to Laughing Actually prices vary enormously so a big beer may be between 4.5 CHf and about 8 CHf so it pays to work out where it's good to eat and drink and where it isn't
snow report
Hoorah, 2 quid for a pint Wink I can see a week in the Betty Ford clinic being neede when I get back Smile Any suggestions on a decent (reasonably priced) hotel in Wengen? Doesn't have to be owt flash, just somewhere clean to bed down of a night?

Had a look at yer Jungfrau Region website that was linked to in another thread on here, cracking site D G Orf, some fantastic piccies on there, and loads of useful info.
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, I'd suggest possibly the Baren, my Favorite is the Alpenrose, the Bernerhof is fairly cheap, the Hirshen is supposed to be very nice, for really cheap try the Wengen Lodge, a sort of backpackers hostel its only disadvantage is the very steep uphill climb in the morning.
snow conditions
Thanks DG Orf, we're struggling to find any free accomodation, although we have found a nice hotel across the valley in Grindelwald. Is this a decent enough area, we are right by the train station? The Hotel Bel-Air.
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, Grindelwald is a good base, as you can drive there. At the moment the snow is good enough to ski down to the resort from both Kleine Schidegg and First.

The other alternative is to look for accomodation in Lauterbrunnen. It'll add 15 mins onto your journey (up to Wengen or Murren) but you can park your car at the hotel (usually free!!)
ski holidays
Charlatanefc, Grindelwald would be a good choice at the moment, I've not stayed in Grindelwald so I cannot give any guides on hotels there, however the Bel air Eden is very close to the station but not quite next door, there is one hotel and a road between the station and it.

If you are determined to drive check that they have parking, they may not which will mean parking it in one of the nearby parking areas and paying for the privelidge, you may be better off using the excellent Swiss Rail network £55 a person takes you from the Swiss border to your destination return.
ski holidays
Thanks GG Orf, noted. Looking forward to skiing somewhere other than La Plagne Wink
snow conditions
OK we're booked in the Bel Air Eden in Grindelwald. Quick one, we usually just use a hole in the wall when we go to La Plagne for getting Euros. Is it advisable to do the same for our Swiss Francs in Grindelwald???
snow report
Charlatanefc, go to any of the banks, I usually take sterling with me, however check the exchange rate and charges, in Wengen one bank typically gives slightly better rates and charges a flat 5 CHf the other gives a little lower rate but only charges 3 CHf so if changing small amounts it might be better to go with the 3 CHf charge but not if changing larger amounts
latest report
Charlatanefc, I always just use a hole in the wall.....makes life easy. There's one just as you come through customs at Basel airport.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't forget at many hole in the wall machines and in many agencies you will get charged twice, once by the card companies for withdrawing cash and also a commision charge for drawing a foreign currency those two together can add up to 5% onto your withdrawl.
latest report
Thanks peeps, may well take cash then. I was gonna get a couple of hundred quids worth of swiss francs b4 I go anyway!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy