Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family holiday advice - creche needed.

Poster: A snowHead
Mike-H, Where in La Plagne?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You probably won't want to hear this, but my Sister used Crystal child care in Cham last year and it was poor when compared with Esprit. I stayed in a Crystal chalet last week where others were using the child care facility. Again, I wasn't impressed. I've now been on 3 Crystal holidays and they've all been very mediocre. As mentioned, my Sister and ourselves have used Esprit many times and cannot fault their childcare. The rest of the Esprit package was noticably better than Crystal. We were in Selva with Esprit 4 weeks ago, Crystal penny pinched last week in Canazei, to the point of comedy. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No problem, I just hope that they do not let us down as we have booked already. Asked for a brochure from esprit but still no sign of it. Their website is just not informative enough in this instance. I needed to act reasonably quickly as we had to go at NY and we needed creche facilities for a few hours each week. As our requirements (2 rooms with cot + 11yr child) limited the market I have seen over the last few days that some of the chalets were already unavailable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mike-H, I can understand you need to book, getting space in a creche can be hard at peak times.

We have used both Crystal and Esprit, but only Crystal when the children were under 4, and they were well looked after in a safe and friendly environment. As with many ski ing holidays it is the staff that make the difference and the Crystal child care staff we had were very good, particularly on a trip to Morzine (Le Viking) in 2006.

Hope you have a great trip, it will be here before you know it
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mike
Sounds like you've got a great holiday booked. I've done La Plagne a couple of times and it is great skiing, what I love best about it is the really long, wide "motorway" blues out there. My husband actually did his first real snow skiing there and it was wonderful, but he did put in a lot of work at the dry ski slope first (lessons). I share your feelings on replying to that ignorant remark, he is neither worth the time or effort. In a world where there are unfortunately plenty of children which are suffering he might best be putting his energies into something more constructive. Your kids will have a ball with the Crystal nannies and you will be able to spend really rewarding time with them in the afternoons having re-energised yourself with a couple of, I am sure, very well deserved hours of morning skiing. My two year old has just returned from her fourth "ski" holiday and about her seventh time flying, we never have any trouble with her on the plane or coach. My biggest tip is to take lots of little toys and books (WH Smiths do mini libraries of small book such as a five pack of Fifi or Noddy with lift the flaps, very compact and keeps her amused for hours - just dont let them have them before the holiday or they will lose their novelty). Secondly, nappies and wipes are hugely expensive over there so I would pack enough for the trip unless you dont mind forking out about £15 for a small pack of nappies and £5 for a pack of wipes!! Enjoy your holiday! H snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mike-H, Done Crystal and Esprit. Esprit is more and it does show but Crystal in Belle Plagne were good and the kids enjoyed themsleves and were safe which in reality is all that matters Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
casnbs wrote:
Why not look after your own children? If they inconvenience you and stop you from skiing perhaps you shouldn't have had them.

A fair question, but until you have children, you don't really know just how much they impact on your lives. Once the reality becomes apparent, you can either a) abandon the kids b) have them adopted or c) take the "selfish" option every once in a while, since it's not possible to send the children back!

Compared to (a) and (b) option c) isn't really so bad!

Mrs Snowplough and I went skiing for the first time since we had our kids last year, when they were 5 and 4 and the 6 year skiing free period was a loooooooooong time indeed. Very Happy

My youngest would happily spend all day playing computer games, so co-ercing her into activities such as ballet, gymnastics and swimming is definitely for her own good, even if she doesn't realise it yet. Luckily, she and her elder sister love skiing (or at least the hot choccies afterwards. Very Happy )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The young children on skiing hols debate will always be there. I think there is quite a difference between people who pay for quality childcare to wrap around lessons or for little children during the day and those who book childcare for what seems like 12hrs or more so they spend virtually no time with their children at all!

Call me old fashioned but aren't family holidays about tobogganing, snowballing, eating together etc? I think a balance between the two can be achieved, and undoubtably there are some very good childcare facilities out there who help to enrich little one's time on the snow.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi there

We have booked to go for the second time with familyfriendlyskiing.com. They are based in La Tania / Courchevel and most chalets are ski to door which gets rid of the moan from the kids (and parents) having to carry the equipment to the bubble!

We went with my 6 month old nephew 5 years ago and are trying them out with our 2 year old son in 3 weeks time. Check out their website and give them a call - they offered us a fantastic cheap deal all in - i think business has been slow with the "credit crunch" so plenty of negotiations available!!

Good luck!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
casnbs wrote:
Why not look after your own children? If they inconvenience you and stop you from skiing perhaps you shouldn't have had them.

A fair question

Only to the extent that 'fair' can mean 'naive and narrow minded', which it can't, SFAIK. Personally, I can't see the point in taking kids to the slopes untill thay can get a reasonable benefit from it (ours were 4, just, when we first took them), but I can't imagine for a nanosecond what is wrong with taking them and paying someone appropriate to look after them if that's what you want to do.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
To all - excellent Thread and lost of interesting info and controversial debate. Sorry I missed the chance to contribute. With 11, 10, 4 and 2 year olds we've enjoyed most family ski options mentioned above. Esprit can't be faulted in most of their resorts. Our favourite is La Rosiere. An appartment and good nanny works well also, but they are rare. We found one in Morzine last year. We live near Perpignan now so largely day ski in the Pyrenees. The kids speak French and what's on offer consequently really opens up for you especially for the poppets, who love the local nursery in Font Romeu.

Orcieres for Easter and the two little one's are going in for 3 days, all booked last month and a fraction of UK bought Childcare. Look outside the big resorts if you can. I manage and my French is still limited, despite living here.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lou wrote:
The young children on skiing hols debate will always be there. I think there is quite a difference between people who pay for quality childcare to wrap around lessons or for little children during the day and those who book childcare for what seems like 12hrs or more so they spend virtually no time with their children at all!

Call me old fashioned but aren't family holidays about tobogganing, snowballing, eating together etc? I think a balance between the two can be achieved, and undoubtably there are some very good childcare facilities out there who help to enrich little one's time on the snow.

Sledging, snowballs, hot choccies and not having to each their greens are what my kids talked about most after their first skiing hol. Very Happy That, along with how bad I am. Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That, along with how bad I am

The Flying Snowplough,
yep surprisingly how often that comes up in conversation throughout the year, fantastic memory when it comes to intricate details of spectacular parental wipeouts Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lou wrote:
Quote:

That, along with how bad I am

The Flying Snowplough,
yep surprisingly how often that comes up in conversation throughout the year, fantastic memory when it comes to intricate details of spectacular parental wipeouts Evil or Very Mad

Indeed - My eldest might not be able to remember on a given day what she's done at school or had for lunch, but she can provide a snowflake by snowflake account of how she overtook me going through the trees on our last afternoon last year. Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rainman wrote:
casnbs, when you act like a sanctimonious git, you're going to get called out on it.

yep- and I still hold with the neglected childhood- now caring theory
snow report
HH,
Quote:

My biggest tip is to take lots of little toys and books (WH Smiths do mini libraries of small book such as a five pack of Fifi or Noddy with lift the flaps, very compact and keeps her amused for hours - just dont let them have them before the holiday or they will lose their novelty). Secondly, nappies and wipes are hugely expensive over there so I would pack enough for the trip unless you dont mind forking out about £15 for a small pack of nappies and £5 for a pack of wipes!! Enjoy your holiday!

Thanks for the advice. I think I will take one change of clothes for me and fill the case with my daughters clothes, cleaning stuff and toys. Smile
snow report
Just to add more information for anyone in a similar situation to me. The Ski Esprit brochure has arrived. It looks OK. Good pictures, nice looking properties, and plenty of information. If traveling with infants this may offer the right solution for you. They certainly provide trips for people with children. However, from our perspective it would have cost an extra £1200 as it looks like under 12's only get a 5-10% discount during peak times.

I may use this company in the future as my friend’s son will be deemed as an adult anyway or we may travel on our own. I'll see how we get on with Crystal.

Listen to me. I have not even touched the snow and I'm on about going again. Smile
ski holidays
Mike-H,

Quote:

Listen to me. I have not even touched the snow and I'm on about going again.

Gets you like that Very Happy
snow conditions
Mike-H, Which chalet and part of La Plagne have you booked with Crystal?
latest report
Plagne 1800 - does that make sense?

Chalet Rose ii - I beleive it is relatively new.
snow report
Mike-H, Yep, makes sense. Nice. You'll enjoy Cool
snow conditions
Mike-H, Yes thinking about the next time already... You should have been pre warned, your annual holiday spending will explode, and it is all worth it IMO
snow report
Mike-H, nice round-up/report back. Always pleasing to see positive feedback to initial requests for advice - looks like you've done some in-depth research which will almost certainly help anyone who finds themselves in a similar situation. I hope all goes well for you all snowHead
snow report
Chasseur,
Quote:

nice round-up/report back. Always pleasing to see positive feedback to initial requests for advice

Least I could do. I have received a lot of useful tips and hints from so many helpful members. Sharing knowledge keeps the forums alive. It is too easy to get what you need and b*gger off so I will be sticking around to ask loads more stupid questions. Perhaps next year I will be a member providing the answers to a few posts. wink
snow report
Mike-H
Just thought last night...be careful if you are booking ski school for yourselves/the 11 year old through Crystal just make sure the meeting point is close to your chalet. The first year we went, we went to La Plagne and we got stung by Crystal as our kids' ski school meet point was in another village...honest! They did provide a mini bus to get us there (along with a French driver with his arm in a plaster cast, honestly!!) but it was a right nightmare. I don't recall 1800 but I'm sure lots of people on here do if you do need/decide to book ski school indipendently.
snow report
Mike-H, excellent Very Happy

Not that it helps this time around but, from experience, another vote for Esprit having used them 3 times.

I've only once used an independent creche - in Chantemerle, Serre Chevalier (I learned there too). It was called Les Oursins and my daughter (3 then) begged to go there every day and often refused to leave!! Not sure what that said about her parents..lol. Anyway, she went there two years on the trot (learning to ski in their enclosed area on the second trip) and it didn't seem to do any harm. She's 8 now, loves skiing and competently tackling blacks.....ok, a bit of self-indulgent fatherly pride creeping in rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
I have asked a question about ski tuition in la plagne if anyone can help me. The link is here-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47728

I do not think that any of the group will need full tuition as we intend to get some lessons in advance. Please jump into that thread if anyone can offer some advice.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy