Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arriving in Soll on Saturday (10th Jan) - any recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

I am arriving for my weeks ski holiday in Soll on Saturday...

...so what I would like are some recommendations, must do's, names of great ski runs, names or directions to 'little known' mountain huts, example prices and any photo's that you guys might have that will help me along the way.

Thanks in advance !
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Salven Stade bar at bottom of hill - its epic and you won't miss it anyway.
Tip - don't let Jaegermeister bottles hit your teeth when doing "Jagerbombs"! Wink
Where are you staying?
Another tip is store boots and skis at the locker room - it makes life far easier!
Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
PS: - I think I will be returning in March - but this time to Mounty Lodge Hotel (anyone know anthing about it?) - as opposed to the Modlinger hotel last year - which was ideal.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am going to be staying at the Hotel Austria. I am really looking forward to the Austrian apres ski - the french apres ski was ok, but from I hear the Austrians know how to do it properly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It was epic - you will love it.
Have a Jaegerbomb for me and warn them I am coming back!!! Lol.
When we went - there was no snow in the town at all which was a little disconcerting, but the snow cannons keep the run down fine until the end of the day when it goes from a easy/medium red to (IMO) a tricky slushy blackish run. Many (including some of the instructors) get the gondola down, but if you miss the last one down then it is the only way back... be warned.
Many an evening we had to battle our way down after spending too long at "Joe's Office" Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If your skiing is up to it and you have a SkiWelt ticket covering the whole area, you might like to try the new link to Westendorf. Ski down into Brixen and then up the SkiWelt gondola on the other side. In Westendorf the new Choralm gondola opens up an enjoyable long blue piste (or via a short but steep black section back to the Choralm middle station). The Kandleralm piste which takes you back from Westendorf to Brixen is steep and I found testing (there is a red detour round the black section but I haven't tried that yet).

For a slightly less well known hut on the slopes I like the small Frank-Alm near the Filzboden lift in Brixen.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How long would it take to do that? - I hadn't skiied for 14 years until last year and to say i am rusty would be an understatement.
By the end of my week last year I was quite happy on the reds on the Soll side of Hohe Salve... although didn't like the start of the blue through the trees off to the left as you go up the mountain bizarrely...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pilgrimage wrote:
How long would it take to do that?

It's difficult to judge how long someone else would need for a route but, presuming you've had a couple of days to find your feet again (and you are feeling good on the skis) and you get started early in the morning, I think it should be possible to get in one or probably more runs down the new Choralm piste(111) in Westendorf, which I think you would like. However, if you're still unhappy about the blue run connecting the Silleralm to Hochsöll (which I think is the one you mention), then you'd probably better give the idea a miss. For the return trip from Westendorf, I would strongly recommend taking the SkiWelt gondola back down again from Westendorf to Brixen rather than skiing the Kandleralm piste with its steep, black sections (the top station of the Choralm gondola is near the SkiWelt gondola).

The route I might suggest if you're not too confident about your skiing would be:
1) Gondola from Söll to Hochsöll
2) Keat chairlift up the Söll slopes
3) Across the track from the top of the Keat lift to the Silleralm. Keeping high when you reach the Silleralm, you can cross straight over it without using the lift, then over towards the Filzboden lift. However, instead of turning left down to the Filzboden, carry straight on again, keeping right and high, until you reach the piste which serves the Kälbersalvenbahn chairlift. The latter part here is pretty flat and you might need to pole. If you end up too low down the Silleralm, you just need to take the lift up it and continue from the top.
4) Ski down to the bottom of the Kälbersalvenbahn and carry on to the little Würstlexpress tow.
5) Go up the Würstlexpress tow to Hochbrixen.
6) From a time point of view, I would then suggest just taking the Hochbrixen gondola down to the valley. If you want to ski down, you would have to go up the Zinsberg chairlift and then ski down past the bottom station of the Holzalm T-bar towards the Jochbahn chair. The piste down to Brixen starts near the foot of that lift.

If you haven't reached the Brixen valley by about 1130 it might be chancing it to go over to the Westendorf side, better just start back for Söll (from step 12 ).

7) However, if you want to persever, once you've reached the bottom station of the Hochbrixen gondola, you just have to walk across a new bridge over the main road to reach the SkiWelt gondola, which takes you up to Westendorf.
8 ) From the top station of the SkiWelt gondola, ski down the track till you have passed the top station of the older Alpenrosenbahn gondola. Continuing there, follow the piste 111, which is the new way down to the bottom station of the new Choralm gondola, bending generally to the right all the way down.
9) The Choralm gondola brings you up again to just near the top station of the SkiWelt gondola.
10) Repeat 8-9 to taste, for as long as you think you have time. Probably you should calculate up to 3 hours for the return trip, i.e. you would have to be leaving Westendorf by around 1 o'clock (at this time of year).

11) Take the SkiWelt gondola back down to Brixen (the alternative Kandleralm piste is difficult).
12) Take the Hochbrixen gondola back up to Hochbrixen.
13) Ski down (left from the top of the gondola) to the Kälbersalven 6-chairlift and take it up.
14) Ski back down the Kälbersalven piste until you can cut off left for the Silleralm. Probably the second track is slightly easier but this section, over to the Silleralm, could be a little challenging.
15) Crossing the Silleralm towards Söll, keeping as high as you can manage. That way you should be able to reach the track to Söll without using the lift (if you get too low on the Silleralm, you would have to go up the lift and ski down again to reach the track). In this and the previous section, you should be following the signs for Söll/Hochsöll.
16) Ski across the track to Hochsöll, your favourite blue, if I'm not mistaking.
17) Take the gondola down to Söll (or ski down, if you want to race with a thousand others).

I hope I've got that all right. If you're not put off just looking at it, good luck Smile
Looking at the instructions myself, I feel it probably isn't a day for someone who isn't reasonably confident on their skis or doesn't know the area too well. If you mess up the route or otherwise somehow waste time, you might end up having to take a taxi back from Brixen to Söll, which wouldn't be cheap.
The trip might be easier if you were with a guide/instructor or someone who knows the whole Hohe Salve. I might have offered my services, were you interested, but I banged my knee yesterday Sad and I'm not sure I'll be skiing again by the end of next week. I certainly hope to, though. So, if you feel up to the challenge by the middle of the week and have Internet access in Söll, you could leave a message here and we could see what the situation is.

Enjoy your holiday!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Fantastic info and details - thank you.
It does look a bit of a trek - but i might try part of it at least to get me moving a bit further afield.
We don't arrive till 7th March (hopefully there will be some snow left!) and as my brother will be looking after his newbie girlfriend i may have some time to build my confidence back up and explore a bit more than last year.
Simply can't wait... Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski over to Ellmau and Going, some quiet pistes over that side, also take a ride on the Hartkeiser (Sp?) mountain railway to get you back up the mountain, something a little different. Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blondends, the night skiing is a must-do. Operates Wednesday-Saturday.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did fancy a dabble of the night skiing but after a few sherberts and the thought of fastening the boots up again, to go and get brassic to make a few turns under the floodlights, i gave it a miss and stayed in the bar.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you havent already rented kit use Edingers ski shop under the gondola station. Great quality and superb service. DEFINITELY use their ski garage and NOT the one further down the hill that all the main TOs use - mayhem.

Area map is known to be confusing but follow the signage and you will be ok. I loved the red of the Hohe Salve to Rigi. Great mountain restaurants too - good quality good value. Fav spot is Franks - tiny place on the way to Filzboden lift. Great for a pretzel and schnapps at about 9.30am - after that its filled with ski patrol having their morning coffee/beer/schnapps

Home run is a proper challenge for an ordinary skier - carnage - kinda fun tho.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi everybody

This is a bit off topic, but hopefully somebody will have an idea.

We're staying in Westendorf 17th Jan. Never been to the Ski Welt before and wondered how far across we can get in a day. Is Westendorf to Ellmau and back feasible? Get the impression it takes a long time to get around from what I've read. Small group all with over 12 weeks experience and happy on all pistes, if a little messy on any steep/bumpy blacks.

Cheers all!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eithnem, Liam, espri (especially!), Pilgrimage, this is great stuff - thanks for the advice - I'm in a big mixed ability group of boarders and skiiers going at half term so I'm lapping this up!!!. I'd posted elsewhere asking about tuition in Soll and was recommended Blacksheepski - any views? On their website they mention linking into Kitzbühel...is that what you're talking about here? Yet to find a decent on line piste map that would help picture it.

Thanks again snowHead
ski holidays
e.g., No problem so long as you get the route right, set of early and you should be able to have lunch in Ellmau and a couple of coffee or beer breaks along the way.
ski holidays
e.g. wrote:
Is Westendorf to Ellmau and back feasible?

Westendorf to Ellmau is no doubt possible, presumimg you can keep up a reasonable pace on the pistes. There wouldn't be much time for hanging around. My earlier post suggests roughly the route, except that you would turn rightish from Hochbrixen for Scheffau and Ellmau. But, practically, to ski to Ellmau from a base in Westendorf, the old method using the bus to Brixen may be better - saves going up the hill in Westendorf just to ski down again. Mind you, isn't that what we do all the time Smile Actually, to make it clear, until this year and the coming of the new SkiWelt gondola between Brixen and Westendorf, Westendorf wasn't really linked to the SkiWelt, although technically part of it. Westendorf is on the other side of the Brixental from all the resorts like Söll, Hopfgarten, Scheffau, etc. With the new gondola you can ski between them, although as I have said, the Kandleralm piste down from Westendorf to Brixen is not that easy.

kewhoward The link between SkiWelt and Kitzbühel, via the KiWest lift at the far end of the Westendorf area, requires you to have a Kitzbüheler Alpen ticket (the normal SkiWelt ticket isn't enough). There is also a short bus ride necessary, between the KiWest and Pengelstein I gondolas. The buses seem to run every 10-20 mins; the schedule for the Kitzbühel-Kirchberg-Skirast-KiWest-Aschau line is available as a PDF at http://www.bergbahn-kitzbuehel.at/de/skibus-winter-20082009.html . The Westendorf-Kitzbühel link isn't really what was described earlier; the earlier posts are about linking Westendorf with the main part of the SkiWelt, along the Hohe Salve range.
snow report
I can't thank you all enough - some amazing detail here !!!

I am currently in Germany on route to Soll, first day skiing will be Saturday night Blush - (Bode Swiller thanks for the advice).

It's now just fingers crossed that there is some fresh snow middle next week - a slight possibility looking at the weather outlook thread.
ski holidays
Be sure to let us know how you get on and what the conditions are like.
Have a good one! Smile
Pilg.
snow report
Do a search on Soll on here theres been a number of threads in the past re eating out and huts etc.

Have fun - nice place.

My personal favourite for a drink on the way home is the Talstation on the left as you walk away from the locker shop. Might be a buit quiet for you tho.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy