Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

wrongly spelled name on airline ticket

Poster: A snowHead
Deliaskis, Only for 30 years ( most of that in aviation, rest as TA / TO) ... and Im still confused by it! Originally it was mainly to do with ticket 'fraud'.

Some countries/immigration officers do check both (its a requirement to have a return ticket to enter some) but I cant remember the last time I was asked for that proof on entry ... and rather difficult with e-tickets!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agenterre, ah OK, so travelling within Europe it is not really a thing then, apart from at check-in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Deliaskis, I'd agree .. when were you asked in Europe? and we have the right to travel and stay in the EC afaics.

PipT Increasingly irrelevant ( sorry, I'm sure you have better things to do!) but DCS systems print the name as held in the booking segment .. so it wouldnt have changed with a 'note' on the system
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Argenterre, you seem to know your onions better than anyone else on this thread - do you think there was a non-zero possibility that a passenger with a passport/boarding pass discrepency would be not allowed to fly, or held under suspicion at immigration control, or similar outcomes? Just wondering if this is all a completely rhetorical debate or whether the original poster may have had a chance, albeit a slim one, of a calamity happening.

I've often wondered this, as someone close to me has a completely preposterous name that nobody can spell!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PipT wrote:

Changing the subject - anyone heard of the new 'snowoasis' that they're building in Suffolk somewhere?

Yes, there are at least a couple of treads on it here. snowHead

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1061440

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39622
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Agenterre, Am I getting confused here? If PipT said that the note on the system was only ever a temporary measure and that they were waiting for the airline to confirm and then new tickets would be issued, then I don't understand why we're still talking about the note on the system - have I missed something? Confused
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, I dont know enough to answer that in relation to the OP.
- Norway isnt in the EC
- I cant remember what immigration is like there
- We dont know what passport the OP is travelling under ( some might attract more attention than others)

but the possibility would be very miniscule. Id have thought it would take other behaviour ( like rudeness) to bring any officials attention to the individual.

There is always the possibility you will be denied boarding if the information doesn't tie up, it can and does happen. Folks are also held in the UK and US daily for further investigation. I also have a very very unusual christian name and it does seem to attract more attention in some countries ( notably the USA ) but other than a few questions no big deal. Then again I make sure everything matches before hand.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Schuss in Boots, All credit to PipT. It looks like his personal intervention resulted in re-issuing ( as he says time consuming and potentially costly to them). Im pretty sure he hasnt suggested that the original note was a 'temporary measure' and the OP obviously didnt think so.

Why am I banging away? The inference that notes in bookings will actually make any potential problem disappear i.e. that the original action (the note) had 100% solved any potential issue or otherwise. Having said that we have no idea how 'wrong' the name was and Im confused as to who actually made the change.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PipT, Thanks for looking into this for me.

Yep, I'm big fan of Norway too ... this will be my 6th visit to Geilo/Hemsedal (all with Neilson).

I have to say that as a regular customer, I'm just a little dissapointed that it took so many phone-calls and then the intervention of one of the senior executives at the TO to get things finally sorted.

I appreciate what you and your staff are saying about putting notes on the system - but as far as I can tell, this offers no guarantees, especially with security arrangements at airports as they are, and espcially at 5.30am in the morning, when the Neilson offices are closed should a problem arise.

I was in Obergurgl over the Xmas period (again with Neilson) - and had an absolute nightmare at check-in, this time over ski-carriage - which had been pre-booked and should have been "on the system". It took over 30mins and various conversations with managers, before the the check-in staff dropped their demands for excess luggage charges and accepted that I had indeed booked and paid for ski-carriage. So maybe my faith in 'notes on the system' is not what it should be.

[edited for spelling]

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 7-01-09 16:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, OK, that makes sense - point taken. Thanks for explaining it. Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

m pretty sure he hasnt suggested that the original note was a 'temporary measure' and the OP obviously didnt think so.

Just to clarify:

With regards to the name, I would say that the name was significantly wrong ... it wasn't as simple as spelling 'Matthew' with one 't' - for example.

I was originally informed that a 'note on the system' would suffice and that no further action was necassary. Furthermore, the first person I spoke to flatly refused to send me anything in writing to that effect Confused It was only after being put through to a manager that I received an email saying that a note had been sent and that the ticket was valid despite the incorrect spelling.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
abj wrote:
PipT,

I was in Obergurgl over the Xmas period (again with Neilson) - and had an absolute nightmare at check-in, this time over ski-carriage - which had been pre-booked and should been on the system. It took over 30mins and various conversations with managers, before the the check-in staff dropped their demands for excess luggage charges and accepted that I had indeed booked and paid for ski-carriage. So maybe my faith in 'notes on the system' is not what it should be.

As I said before, I would definitely have the tickets changed; I would certainly NOT under any circumstances accept "notes on the system". Its your holiday FFS - you have invested a lot of time and money in it - get them to change the tickets and issue a TOD free of charge.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
abj wrote:
Just to clarify:

With regards to the name, I would say that the name was significantly wrong ... it wasn't as simple as spelling 'Matthew' with one 't' - for example.

Did it say 'Osama'?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apologies if your real name is Osama, by the way. That hadn't occurred to me prior to posting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970, thanks for the words of encouragement. Hopefully, we're nearly sorted.

Quote:

Its your holiday FFS - you have invested a lot of time and money in it

Yep, you're right ... especially when you trying to organise 7 of my mates ... it's like herding bees! Very Happy
snow conditions
Quote:

Did it say 'Osama'?

Alas, nothing quite so exotic Very Happy
ski holidays
Of course, you could always change your name to qxsiptl zoflulx by deed poll, so that it matched the misprinted ticket?
snow report
Kramer, Very Happy at last a note of brevity in this serious thread!!
ski holidays
On a trip to the US a couple of years ago i had the privilege of half an hour in 'the room at the end of the hall' courtesy of homeland security.
I have 3 forenames and use the third. Someone had me listed using the first. They didn't like it - even though all 3 were clearly on the passport right under my photo.
Thankfully a sensible supervisor came to my rescue but lesson learned. I use my first name on ALL travel documents now.
It happens - get the ticket changed.

CW Happy
snow report
As a result of this thread I've just checked my e-tickets with BA. Hadn't noticed that I had made a typo with my friends surname, missed out an "h". She's of a nervous disposition so thought I'd better change it. Cost £30, I'll be more careful next time Mad
snow conditions
A few years ago son #2 couldn't find his passport at the very last minute so I sent him off with son #1's on the basis that it at least gave him a chance of travelling. No-one ever noticed that either his name or his face was different!

I know PipT says the reasons relate to security rather than saving money (sorry fraud) now but either way its easy money for the operators to charge an exhorbitant fee for 20 seconds work on a computer.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 13-01-09 22:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
abj, what happended then for gawds sake? rolling eyes
latest report
red 27 wrote:
abj, what happended then for gawds sake? rolling eyes
I bet everything is ALL good... I THINK
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy