Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI BOOT WEIGHTS FOR LUGGAGE

Poster: A snowHead
..... packing bag now and worried about weight... dont want to pay extra like i did last time!!!

I have Head dge 10 ski boots and looking ont net, says weight is 1kg. Is that per BOOT or per PAIR ?????

cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Libertine, Shocked Shocked Shocked

you are kidding aren't you? My boots weigh 5kg a pair. Even my wife's weigh 2.2kg each (just weighed one).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Woah...... i crap with this sort of thing. went to buy some travel scales this eve but they had sold out so i best get some..

grrrrrrr i was happy when i saw 1kg !! our allowance is only 15kg each hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Libertine, wear your boots on to the plane? Blag it Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Libertine, It can be done. I went to Tignes before Christmas with my boots as well as my other gear in my roller cargo bag (it is a fairly light one) and it was well under 15kg.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i have a light cargo too.. just those ryanair fookers try all the tricks and cost us last time.. i will wear the same pants everyday if needsbe !! Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shockingly I managed to pack my boots in the hold luggage, along with all the other gubbins necessary (granted only 4 days of clothes) and weighed in at 11kg. Hand luggage was a newspaper and some gloves Smile

Found taking rucksack instead of case helped keeping the weight down. Our cases our heavy efforts!

Good luck (don't you get 10kg of hand luggage as well though?)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
OK... i have got all my stuf together and its minimal for a week (gf stil says that i could lose a few fashion items Shocked ) so will buy scales tomoz.

is it mid life that is hitting me now ?? I didnt used to give a "f" and would bin clothes etc if nedsbe, but nowI plan in advance and am too methodical.... IIIIIMMMMMMMM GGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEETIIIINNNNNGGG OLLLLLDDDDDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After several attemps I've got my packing with boots to just under Ryanairs 15kg limit. Packing Tecnica Diablo, 5Kg, into DAkine 100ltr roller bag . However it means that my jacket, ski,pants , gloves go into the ski bag. walkie talkies, goggles scarf, sunnies go into rucksack hand luggage.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i do hAve hand luggage, but i like to keep it as free as poss for airport purchasses an my electricals...... tis very annoying be ing so tightly monitered.

They shoud have max annual weight on display so that we all have 15k but those under account on first served basis would be fair....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last March when I flew to Salzburg with Thomsonfly the combined weight of my holdall and boot bag was 9kg. Have you got lead-lined suitcases or something...?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And whilst on the subject of weight, the average person weighs 70kg, but the weight of each adult can vary by 50kg or more. There is no extra charge for a 90kg person as opposed to a 70kg person so why all this humbug about a few kilos here and there of baggage weight. Do lardy people have heavier bags too (larger clothes?)...?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B wrote:
Libertine, It can be done. I went to Tignes before Christmas with my boots as well as my other gear in my roller cargo bag (it is a fairly light one) and it was well under 15kg.

mine was less than 11kg (and I had plenty of pants wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, Ahh hadn't factored that in, an extra 4 pairs would have taken me over the 15kg I guess. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bob wrote:
After several attemps I've got my packing with boots to just under Ryanairs 15kg limit. Packing Tecnica Diablo, 5Kg, into DAkine 100ltr roller bag . However it means that my jacket, ski,pants , gloves go into the ski bag. walkie talkies, goggles scarf, sunnies go into rucksack hand luggage.

I don't think walkie talkies are allowed in hand luggage......
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
Last March when I flew to Salzburg with Thomsonfly the combined weight of my holdall and boot bag was 9kg. Have you got lead-lined suitcases or something...?

No, but you must have helium filled clothing. Or you don't take any changes of clothes (which I think unlikely).

It would need stuff specifically sold as "lightweight" to find a reasonable sized holdall plus boot bag which weighed less than 3-4Kg between them (empty), and the boots will probably be around 4-5Kg, so you will only have been left with about 1-2Kg of "things" packed into the holdall.

Are you sure it wasn't 19Kg, rather than 9?
latest report
kitenski wrote:
Bob wrote:

I've always put 2-way radios in hand baggage. I've flown with Easyjet, BA & Air Canada with them, through Calgary, Geneva, Lyon, Heathrow, Luton, Toronto, Gatwick. Never had any issues with security in carrying them. Puzzled
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:

Your boots/bag weigh 5kg so your holdall & other kit weighed 4kg. I think not rolling eyes
latest report
The lightest roller case you can buy is Antler's Size Zero which weighs in at 3.4kg. This is very expensive but (just about) worth it as it is a fair bit lighter than most other comparable size luggage (my similar sized Burton roller holdall weighs 6.6kg). Boots come in at 4.5-6kg so I think even one spare thong would have taken queen bodecia over the 9kg !
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Your boots/bag weigh 5kg so your holdall & other kit weighed 4kg. I think not rolling eyes

Just walk on wearing everything and looking like the Michelin Man. Sorted. Laughing
snow report
spyderjon, definitely weighed 9kg, I remember it well. I think the boot bag was between 3-4kg and the other bag about 6kg. I guess clothes don't weight that much. Ski suit certainly doesn't, plus I only took one pair of shoes in addition to the boots I was wearing (very restrained of me!)...

And for all you doubters, I weighed both bags empty, not even 2kg!!
ski holidays
Cor blimey...... I struggled to keep my main bag with my clothes & ski kit under 30kgs for Breck last year!!!! then there's my skis.... clothes ended up being shifted into my ski bag to get the main holdall under the 30kg!

Went to Rome last year with Ryanair, there is no way on earth I could get my ski kit packed to the limits of the luggage we took there, let alone actually take clothes too!

Must be the emergency snow I take in-case of warm weather!!!! rolling eyes
latest report
Check out the snokart range for good bags that can get round some regulations, the urban boot bag looks like a handy item. http://www.snokart.com/
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
kitenski wrote:
Bob wrote:

I've always put 2-way radios in hand baggage. I've flown with Easyjet, BA & Air Canada with them, through Calgary, Geneva, Lyon, Heathrow, Luton, Toronto, Gatwick. Never had any issues with security in carrying them. Puzzled

I had a friend who got his confiscated at Geneva security......
snow report
kitenski, After seeing your post, i checked on the BAA LHR website and nothing is mentioned about 2-way Radios being restricted. I can't see what the difference between carrying a 2-way radio and a mobile phone. I'm sure that Dixons even sell them in the duty free.

Regarding confiscation, I made the mistake of putting my washkit in my hand luggage on a return flight from Canada. It had a pair of scissors and a small pen knife in it. Security took them out, gave me an envelope, which I addressed, they weighed it, charged me nominal postage and posted it to me at home, it arrived a few days later. Perfect.
snow conditions
If you pay for ski carriage with Ryanair, then this includes a separate boot bag. [Or at least it did last year!]
ski holidays
cheers Spyderman, maybe I remember incorrectly!! However that's less weight in my main luggage for the next trip then Smile

My thinking was mobile phones wouldn't work in the air, however walkie talkies will, and could be used to 'plan' something between two folk...

regards,

greg
latest report
My undertanding is that Ryanair charge £50 for ski carriage and another £50 if you want to take a boot bag (more if you book by phone)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
truffaut, Your understanding is incorrect.

The charge is £30 if booked online, £40 otherwise.

And while their T&C do make it seem that boots are not included, the experience of other people seems to be taht they are. If they weren't, they would just be a second piece of hold luggage at £20.
snow report
OK, I had interpreted the "per item" to mean a boot bag would be a separate item. However I notice they have now put the charge for skis up £60 ! (£80 if not done online). I suppose with the price of renting having just increased by about 50% since last season (at least for the Brits, not the Irish) there is still a case for taking your own.

Unfortunately the £20 quoted only allows you to split your 15kg into two bags rather than one, it doesn't let you take eg. a boot bag in addition to your 15kg checked bag allowance.

The bit that really annoys me is the no pooling within a group. I'm flying my family with Easyjet in May and we can split our 80kg allowance into 4 bags however we choose (providing no bag weighs more than 32kg). But at half term I have got to make sure our 60kg allowance is split exactly into 4 bags weighing 15kg each. If one bag weighed 16kg and another 14kg I would start incurring ridiculous additional charges. I can only imagine that the thinking behind this is to beat the customer down psychologically so that he/she will then accept whatever other crap might lie in store during the journey.
ski holidays
I was considering buying a wheely bag as my holdall is just a large sports-type bag with no wheels. I reckon the wheeled bags themselves must weigh a fair bit more...
latest report
queen bodecia, does it matter if you can pack in 9 kilos? Shocked

I am glad of the 2x 23 kilo limit on most of the flights I take wink
snow conditions
I think I have a 20kg limit, but I'm still going to need to lift whatever it is in and out of the car and possibly up stairs, etc. Therefore keeping weight low is a consideration...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I'm a bit slow, only just got the link between your name and your lack of luggage. But with your modesty preserving hair, do you have to buy out the airside Boots' entire stock of shampoo ?
snow report
Nope, I'm OK with those small travel-size bottles. You might think it's minging but I only wash my hair once a week. It takes two hours after all...
snow conditions
Maybe I just don't take that much luggage; undies, ski trousers, another pair of jeans, base layers, couple of t-shirts, couple of sweaters, pair of trainers. Other than that, cosmetics, meds, brush, camera, phone, tickets and spends. What else does one need...?

I'm a motorcyclist therefore I have learned to travel light...
latest report
queen bodecia wrote:
Maybe I just don't take that much luggage; undies, ski trousers, another pair of jeans, base layers, couple of t-shirts, couple of sweaters, pair of trainers. Other than that, cosmetics, meds, brush, camera, phone, tickets and spends. What else does one need...?

I'm a motorcyclist therefore I have learned to travel light...

Well I normally wear a T shirt under my jacket, so it's 6 of them, 7 pairs of pants, socks (3 pairs ski socks, 3 "evening" socks), ski jacket & salopettes, one pair of jeans, 3-4 "evening" shirts, dressing gown (to wear when going down to the sauna or if the fire alarm goes off in the night), goggles, boots, edge file & gummi stone, camelbak, toiletries (shaver, hairbrush, shampoo, contact lens liquids, spectacles), 2-3 books (usually in hand luggage), travel documents. And now a helmet too!

And skis of course.

It all goes in ski bag, one soft sided suitcase, plus a small daypack - which is my hand luggage on the flight, and on my back on the slopes.

I would struggle to the case within a 15Kg alowance, but have always managed fairly easily with a 20Kg allowance. If I was traveling with a 15Kg allowance I would just put more of the clothes around the skis.

But there is no way I could get near a 9 Kg weight for the main case (including boots).
snow conditions
dressing gown?
snow report
papasmurf wrote:
dressing gown?

Like I said, for going to the sauna, or if the fire alarm goes off in the night - I'm not runnnig outside naked, but I'm also not stopping long enough to grab more clothes than that.
snow conditions
doesn't you hotel supply them..plus only takes a second to don some clothes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy