Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Parking Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any (cheaper) alternatives to Valtopark for car parking in Val Thorens? Need a spot for 11nights in Dec

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Les Menuires?

Been a few years since I was there but the road nearish to the top of the Montagnettes lift was free parking in those days and 'ski-in/ski-out' - so go to VT and park for an hour, dropbags/kit etc get lift passes, ski rental, drive back to Les M and ski back to VT.

Reverse at end of week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Reverse at end of week.

......Or if you reverse in, you can "Drive out at end of week" Toofy Grin

I was there mountain biking in August with a VT apartment owner. They pointed out a small free car park at Les Menuires. It's right next to the main road up to Val Thorens. Like bertie bassett's sggestion, I think it relies on lifts/pistes being open to get back to Val T...

All the gear...no idea!, When are you going? I've been in VT twice in early Dec when it was so quiet that everyone just parked in the streets, with no enforcement of clearways/no parking zones being undertaken.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers for the suggestions guys i shall investigate

12th of Dec to 23rd. Might get away with the first week i suppose.

I've never driven there in the winter (free for all in the summer) and my mates family have always used Valtoparc when using the apartment but seems expensive €10 a day soon mounts up.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

but seems expensive €10 a day soon mounts up.

Official Val T website is saying just under 13 euros a day for the first few days Shocked - then 4-7 days is the same price at about 60 euros....

A further thought: Can anyone confirm whether the outdoor car park at St Martin is still free in winter? That could be another option (again subject to lift operations at th etime of your visit) - ie move the car to there and just pay for an odd night at the beginning and end of your trip, depending on arrival/departure times.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Official Val T website is saying just under 13 euros a day for the first few days Shocked - then 4-7 days is the same price at about 60 euros....

Your not wrong but we need 11 nights which is €111.60 i.e just over €10 per night.

Now 12th-19th is early season so we might get away with parking on the street outside the apartment block but i don't know where i can find out of it thats true or not.
Then just pay from 19th-23rd €49.60 which is obviously a lot better.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the gear...no idea! wrote:
Quote:

Your not wrong but we need 11 nights which is €111.60 i.e just over €10 per night.

Now 12th-19th is early season so we might get away with parking on the street outside the apartment block but i don't know where i can find out of it thats true or not.
Then just pay from 19th-23rd €49.60 which is obviously a lot better.

In Tignes early (pre) season then the barrier is taken off the car-park so you don't pay and at the same time the onstreet rules don't seem to apply. I'm guessing that once the barrier is up for the car-park then they'll enforce the street rules. I'd imagine VT to run something similar although I have no experience.

As to who to ask - try in the Frog and Roastbeef.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett, The onstreet rules do apply pre season in Tignes.

I have parked in VT free at the bottom of the Boismint and Moutiere lifts, I didn't need to leave it overnight though. There is plenty of free parking in Les Menuires as you pointed out, could just get the bus back up to VT.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
bertie bassett, The onstreet rules do apply pre season in Tignes.

Perhaps it's a different definition of pre-season. Almost a year to the date I was in Tignes pre-season for 5 days and no issue at all parking on-street near the Alpaka, along with a number of other cars /buses all doing the same thing. No tickets, no clamps no towing..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bertie bassett, Perhaps they just hadn't got around to your car. In my experience the the police put a polite letter on your windscreen suggesting that your car would be happier inside rather than giving tickets or towing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
bertie bassett, Perhaps they just hadn't got around to your car. In my experience the the police put a polite letter on your windscreen suggesting that your car would be happier inside rather than giving tickets or towing.
We saw that happening in VT after just a few hours parking. I'm not certain I'd risk getting towed, it would cost you lots more than the Valthoparc fee. Hope your car is well prepared to cope with the sometimes very cold overnight temps. We were there in Dec 2008 and it was wild outside ( snow, wind and freezing temps). Good luck.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
All the gear...no idea!, I'd second what BMF_Skier says.........

If you have a diesel car make sure you fill up with local fuel on arrival or you could end up with the same problem as I had a couple of years ago when I blocked a slip road in Moutiers for an hour on NYE due to frozen diesel Embarassed
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy