Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which way is the Euro going to go then?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Cervinia in a couple of weeks and the Euro is beginning to improve in the last day or two.

Any bets on if it will keep improving, or go back on the slippery slope to 1:1 exchange rate. Will I get Euros, or just wait till I get there and hope it improves further Confused
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With £100.81 yesterday I got €100 yesterday Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I keep thinking about this as I'm not going for another 9 weeks, but I've figured now I'm just going to wait and what will be will be...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
scotabroad, On my desktop widget the pound has got a little better today, currently showing 1.10 or 0.90p The day started off at 94p. I guess the good (ish) news from Debenhams and Next has helped the markets a little.
Just waiting for a member of the BoE or The Treasury to talk the pound down again Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Searching on the financial news looks like the Euro is likely to weaken against the dollar, just wonder if it will do the same against the pound.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
scotabroad, I was pleasantly surprised by today's figures, a nice increase if it can hold. [unhelpful post].
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The £ should improve alittle agains the Euro in the run up to the 15th as it is expected that the ECB will cut the Eurozone interest rates further. However it won't be a huge amount as the UK economy is seen as more fragile then those in Europe.

Either way I wish i had more money!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If interest rates drop this month to 1% (as many are forecasting) then I would expect £ to weaken again, perhaps to below parity... it can happen!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scotabroad wrote:
Searching on the financial news looks like the Euro is likely to weaken against the dollar, just wonder if it will do the same against the pound.

Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley just booked my flights to Austria for Feb, so I hope you're right. A couple more Euros for our greenbacks would be nice
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The weak pound is slowly helping the Northern Ireland economy. Retailers near the border were really cashing in before Christmas. Agriculture is also beginning to benefit with food buyers in RoI looking to NI to purchase raw materials, ie beef, lamb and milk.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Crystalball gazing...............

Long term, IMO, the Pound/Euro is only going one way. Once everyones stopped kicking the Pound, and the Euro's coming woes sharpen in focus, we'll see some kind of "normallity".

There may be blips but I think we're possibly over the worst, and next year will be a much better deal. Coupled with what can only be more realistic prices in the Alps, this may be your most expensive season.

Some opinion believes that, under current/inevitable circumstances, the Euro is close to exceeding critical mass.

John.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Which way is the Euro going to go then? As far as I was aware, the Euro was staying where it was and going nowhere - the £ on the other hand is sliding on its ar$e off piste down a particularly rocky gully rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny wrote:
Crystalball gazing...............

Long term, IMO, the Pound/Euro is only going one way. Once everyones stopped kicking the Pound, and the Euro's coming woes sharpen in focus, we'll see some kind of "normallity".

There may be blips but I think we're possibly over the worst, and next year will be a much better deal. Coupled with what can only be more realistic prices in the Alps, this may be your most expensive season.

Some opinion believes that, under current/inevitable circumstances, the Euro is close to exceeding critical mass.

John.

What do you think will be the rate around mid year ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hmmm I went half board this year specifically because of this problem..... more of a hopeful crossing of fingers than any insight, but come March 6th i hope/pray/promise never to say anything bad about snowboarders every again, that the pound gains a little...
Ok sorry that it's a totally pointless post BUT if there's anyone else waiting with nothing but hope, well you're not alone. Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jeez..................

I think you could put 10% on, maybe 15%. Maybe more. The rise will depend less on the £ but more on the Eurozone, the opposite of the fall.

We historically seem to go into/come out of these events sooner. The Portuguese, Italian, Greek and Spanish economies will have a big bearing on the Euro rate. Lending to all Eurozone countries should be at the same rate, it is after all one currency, but "some animals are more equal than others".

I'm no financial expert, I think you just needed to open your eyes. Too many things, like house prices here, and prices in the alps, are just not sustainable.

I might be wrong, but so far have not been too wide of the mark. Yet.

John.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
scotabroad, Just waiting for a member of the BoE or The Treasury to talk the pound down again Sad

Cue the Chancer! I mean Chancellor rolling eyes !

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/05fc9bdc-dc3d-11dd-b07e-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F05fc9bdc-dc3d-11dd-b07e-000077b07658.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fhome%2Fuk
snow report
robboj, Incredibile isn't it. rolling eyes
Hopefully this Goverment is so predictable the markets will ignore anything they say or do Confused
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
robboj, Incredibile isn't it. rolling eyes
Hopefully this Goverment is so predictable the markets will ignore anything they say or do Confused

Yep, looks like positioning to me Mad It's almost as if they genuinely believe they can fool people into voting for them again Puzzled

If that lot told me it was 8.35am on Wednesday 7th January i'd check my watch first!
ski holidays
robboj, and the markets opened and the pound lost 1.5p against the Euro straight away this morning Confused
snow conditions
Sshort term the pound is going to fall more as interest rates are cut. Long term if our country can get off its knees once that shower of sh*te have gone we will see it strengthen.
snow conditions
ECB are expected to cut Eurozone rates so medium term expect rate to improve (for GBP holders) as most of sterling's UK interest rate cuts have been factored into the rate now. Unless there's another 100 basis point cut.
snow report
Just bought some more Euros at 1.057 per £1

That's about what I paid before Christmas
latest report
dk100 wrote:
Sshort term the pound is going to fall more as interest rates are cut. Long term if our country can get off its knees once that shower of sh*te have gone we will see it strengthen.

Once the other etonian led shower of sh*te have taken over - yeah sure!

All will be wonderful, the sun will shine, Britain will be great again and everyone will be happy... I expect all the bunnies will be pink (or would that be blue) and fluffy and flocks of pigs will float through the sunny sky just like they did in the 1980s... Laughing Laughing Laughing rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
I don't care, as long as I can afford a feckin' skiing holiday and there's enough snow. They can put Simon Cowell and Sheryl Ciole in charge for all I care
ski holidays
dsoutar, that's the worst spelling of Cheryl Cole i've ever seen. Congratulations.

Laughing
latest report
FastEddie, how many spellings of Cheryl Cole have you seen, in total?
snow report
Now I'm no expert....

But the consensus on t'internet amongst those claiming to be is that the pound wil strengthen against the euro over teh next few months back towards 1.18 - see link for example.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=460469&in_page_id=2

Well I hope so - I am just gonna sit tight and exchange when I go - I don't believe it is going to move too dramatically either way before the end of Jan so either way its going to be a relatively expensive ski season - bit of luck we booked fully catered with lift pass included back in september! teh chalet have put their prices up by 15% since mid-dec for new bookers!
snow report
I'd forgethis season as far as a decent rate is concerned. There might be a recovery in a few months but not back to last year's exchange so accept that this year will be expensive for sterling.

I do agree that the Euro is holding a false position and some Med countries are squriming as interest rates set centrally do not suit them One size defo does not fit all, but no surprise there.. If that gets much worse..they may well have to leave the euro which will probably strenghten it in the long run..having shed the poorer economies, but politically that would be distastrous for a creditable currency and the world market would penalise them for it...

Some latin countries have ridiculous debt...Greece is woeful and even though the euro is supposed to be even across the zone Greece debt is more expensive than say, Germna debt. So, if you owe Greek euros you might be asked to pay back more points than if you owed German euros...Joined up eh...??

The PIGS ( Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain ) plus Ireland are deemed to be the most shakey economies and most at danger to leave. Now, if those countries were expected or asked to contribute on Northern European levels to the pot, then they'd have a fit and leave... They are in it because they are paid off, IMV.

So the whole thing is on shakey ground and some countries are effectively
bribed with quite a lot of our money as our bill is very high...classic and we go for it...

That is just mt 2p.......

back to the OP... we will recover when the markets have confidence that our economy is stable and they don't think it is with Brown's proposed level of debt.

But if you are gong to borrow...then borrow when the currency is in a slump.... as the recovery will reduce the debt.... dangerous game tho'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone else remember when one season there were 10 French Francs to the pound and the next there were 7 Sad Situation not dis similar to now IFIRC by the summer the £ had recovered and it was 9 Francs to the pound.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, I'm not old enough.
latest report
Kramer wrote:
Boredsurfing, I'm not old enough.

You kids. rolling eyes Even the Doctors are getting younger looking theese days wink
snow report
Boredsurfing, I'll admit to being old enough to remember that. Neutral
snow report
What were francs dad? Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, I remember. Embarassed
snow report
Kramer, Two shillings each my son Toofy Grin
latest report
JT wrote:

The PIGS ( Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain ) plus Ireland are deemed to be the most shakey economies and most at danger to leave.

GIPSI economies then?
snow conditions
today anyway

http://www.ratesfx.com/rates/rate-gbp.html
ski holidays
...or with historic graphs:

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/fds/hi/business/market_data/currency/11/13/default.stm
ski holidays
roga, didnt know the lib dems were all old etonions Roga The RED
ski holidays
Euro back up to 1.11 to the pound and will continue to get weaker according to the FT Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy