Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Sunday - BBC releases schedule

Poster: A snowHead
halfhand wrote:
If you watch BBC1 and press the red button you get a choice of which chanel you watch so it could be 301 or 302

I'll be out when it's on. I want to set the timer....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Checked IPlayer last night and this doesn't seem listed, has anyone else seen it posted?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the red button Now
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
According to Freeview guide it's on today. BBC2 at 5pm and digital live streaming from midday via red button. Hurrah!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
this evenings rtansmission slightly delayed by the overunning snooker coverage
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I bet they'll cut out tons from the program to make it finish at the scheduled half-past Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I bet they'll cut out tons from the program to make it finish at the scheduled half-past

Well it won't be on at all then. Just started the last frame of snooker so it will be at least 15mins.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob, the way the snooker is going the skiing won't start until 5.30
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
<AlfGarnetMode>
F*cking snooker!!!

It really does get on my t*ts - I'm taking my daughter to the dry slope for race training at 5.30 and this boring load of tosh over-runs, as it always does, every s*dding year!

I wouldn't mind quite so much but that I end up sitting watching it waiting for the skiing to start and I could have headed off half an hour early and got some sliding in myself!

I may well now phone up the BBC and swear at whoever is on the other end of the phone - aaaargh!
</AlfGarnetMode>

So there we go Little Angel
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do snooker fans pay a bigger license fee or something? A best of 19 frame game... so why are they showing frame 8 to the death? It's not a sport (it's a social club game) so why does it come under BBC Sport anyway?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm very annoyed.

They'll fire a couple of talented presenters who manage to offend all of 2 people, and yet they'll happily lie to and pisz off 1000s of people.

Complain!!

Follow this link and fill in the email complaint form. You can check a box to demand a reply as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Make them think before canceling Ski Sunday in future!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 18-01-09 18:35; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, what's the story, even Ronnie O'Sullivan thinks snooker is boring!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never thought there was a slower sport than test cricket but snooker seems to have come up trumps in the slowness department!! Snow please BBC.... now!!!!!!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
What a great frame of snooker, come on Ronnie! Twisted Evil
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is a process of some description which starts here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/complaints/

Complaint entered:

Quote:

Why do we have snooker on rather than the scheduled Ski Sunday?

Last night I seem to remember the snooker disappearing off onto the 'red button' at the end of the scheduled program which seemed like an excellent solution to me. It's not even as if I can set my recorder to catch Ski Sunday since I have no idea when it will be on.

Presumably you have a well-honed stock answer to this one since live sport has been over-running on the BBC since my earliest memories of TV.
snow report
here it comes!!!
snow report
Let's face it you could show snooker at x10 live speed and not miss anything...
ski holidays
So cool seeing them do the Lauberhorn and 'knowing it' snowHead
latest report
....err, what was that? I suppose it lived up to its name with the fact it's on a Sunday and it showed skiing but what a waste of excitement - ridiculous.

It looks like the new show next week High Altitude is just going to pay lip service to people wanting to see snow - where's the downhill teaching with celebs? Where's the travel guide to the exotic and dangerous? The Beeb really has shown its true colours - a disgrace.

Can't wait to see what mess they make out of Formula 1 when it comes back around Evil or Very Mad
latest report
So, Matt Chilton managed to commentate simultaneously on the ladies race from Cortina (for Eurosport) and then nip over to Wengen to do the men for BBC. Ooooh the magic of t'television.
ski holidays
Just got in to watch this on Sky+ and all I have recorded is a load of balls Sad
ski holidays
Didn't look like there were much snow in Wengen... Sad

But I had forgotten how fit those lovely ski racer type chaps are. Time for my cold shower I reckon...
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Didn't look like there were much snow in Wengen... Sad

But I had forgotten how fit those lovely ski racer type chaps are. Time for my cold shower I reckon...

Glad you get excitement from that waste of 30 minutes.... wink
snow conditions
It might be rubbish but it's the only ski telly I get...
ski holidays
Quote:

It looks like the new show next week High Altitude is just going to pay lip service to people wanting to see snow - where's the downhill teaching with celebs? Where's the travel guide to the exotic and dangerous?

Well, you are pre-judging what you haven't seen yet. And I seem to recall that these were both additions to Ski Sunday last year that weren't universally welcomed on this forum.
Quote:

The Beeb really has shown its true colours - a disgrace.

A tad harsh since the skiing's been on all day via the red button.
snow report
queen bodecia, and we are armchair skiers for the rest of the winter, so it will have to do us too
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
It might be rubbish but it's the only ski telly I get...

I suppose thatt's one way to look at it. Just so disappointed they've ditched that brilliant format from last year for half the time totally dedicated to racing, something about 2% of the world's skiers actually do. Ed Leigh, being a snowboarder and all that, might as well not be there if they've ditched boarding altogether.

Plus I'm a bloke so don't appreciate the aesthetics of a burly fellas in lycra Smile Bring on Chemmy Alcott Smile
ski holidays
I like watching the racing, although the burly chaps in lycra might have a hand in that...

Some of the stuff from last season was a bit dull for me, but I'm prepared to watch this 'High Altitude' programme in the hope that it's better. Not to mention the fact that there's very little on telly on a Sunday night after Top Gear anyway...

It's good that a lot of the racing is going to be live via the red button. I just hope I can record it OK if I can't watch it...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I liked last years version, and enjoyed todays "half", looking forward to seeing the other "half" next week (oh wait, I'll be skiing myself, record that then! snowHead )

Don't get what all the fuss is about!! They've retained everything just split it rather hard down the middle, should, in theory-please everyone. The enthusiasts for racing can enjoy that, the people wanting the entertainment can have their slice, and those who want the best of both, get it- sounds fair enough to me.
snow report
Come on guys and girls it's only a half hour slot. Given the time what would you do differently to make it better? A nice touching tribute to David Vine with those clips of Klammer, Batelski et al and David Vine's commentary over it.
latest report
I like watching Graham Bell skiing down with one pole and a camcorder - good stuff Smile
snow conditions
I used to love watching Ski Sunday as a kid when it used to be part of Grandstand and used to be on for hours showing every race in its entireity. That was great and back then, I'd had the sum total of an hour on a dryslope to my name. That was before snowboarding was anything near a global sport so skiing was the sum total of accessible snowsports.

Fast forward to this century and I can't really remember SS or skiing in general being on telly that often since regular sports programming on BBC went the way of the boot (except when the winter olympics were on) but thankfully C4 started to show racing and covering snowsports (albeit late at night or early morning). Yes, last season I can remember a people being in shock that Ski Sunday was now including snowboarding and travel pieces but I'd say that the support for it, on this site anyway, was overwhelming. Loads of non-skiers I know loved the new format, reminiscent of when Top Gear changed from being a consumer show to being magazine format.

GB doing his downhill things with the camera is still mightily impressive - he has balls of steel - but by splitting the format into effectively two slots means they're giving priority to racing while the 'other' half of the stuff (the stuff that's relevant to the vast majority) goes on at 10pm, not at prime time when we're all sat relaxing after afternoon dinner.

I just think they (the BBC) have made a mistake ditching such a progressive format. By 'disgrace' I actually mean changing the format so radically and going back 10 steps rather than forward one. The red button thing is totally valid but the whole point of why SS was brilliant last year was because it wasn't dedicated solely to racing and allowed you to get your snow fix on telly without having to have spent all day in front of the box.
snow report
Specialman, how many people who drive a car race? I'd also bet fewer than 2% of people who ride a bike enter cycle races. We don't see Channel 4 altering the Tour de France coverage to show the cycle race in five minutes and reserve the rest of the hour programme for unicycling fun and frolics, teaching a celebrity to cycle round cones, random presenter cycles the great cyclepaths of north London. Personally I much prefer having two separate programmes, just like Top Gear and F1 coverage are separate. One for those who enjoy the racing and another for the punters and tray-boys who can enjoy all the farting around. I enjoy both. Last year they didn't do either justice with their half/half and their racing coverage seemed to be 'let's watch Graham's face as he watches racers come down the course'. I'd argue that the 'High Altitude' lifestyle programme should take the early evening slot and perhaps have the racing on later but not on the red button so people can PVR it if necessary. I'd also love to see the racing programme show extreme freeski competitions, moguls, skiercross and a few GS and slalom races rather than downhills every week.
ski holidays
god, how boring was that.... and didn't Ed Leigh look totally miserable... I use to really look forward to Ski Sunday, I was one (of the few???) that actually liked last years magazine format for the show - with the variety of features it offered, especially the teaching the celebs bit which they appear to have dropped this year. From reading the High Altitude stuff on the beeb website, I'm not too sure who it is aimed at, I'll watch one or two and make my mind up then.
ski holidays
In Kitzbuhel a couple of years ago I met a UK Grandmother who does not ski but is a huge fan of racing. So much so that in spite of, clearly, not having much money she had saved up for years to take the trip which was her first ever to watch the racing ... and she had brought her daughter and grandchildren along too, none of whom skied either! She was so passionate about it, knew all the stars and their form for the race that year. I was impressed.
snow report
god, how boring was that.... and didn't Ed Leigh look totally miserable... I use to really look forward to Ski Sunday, I was one (of the few???) that actually liked last years magazine format for the show - with the variety of features it offered, especially the teaching the celebs bit which they appear to have dropped this year. From reading the High Altitude stuff on the beeb website, I'm not too sure who it is aimed at, I'll watch one or two and make my mind up then.
ski holidays
Looks like the Beeb made a boob by not putting the High Altitude show on first before the racing version of the show Smile They do however have a clip of the off-piste skiing they're doing with the celebutards on their website which suggests the format of the new show won't be all that different from SS of last year.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, agree that with the split format, High Altitude would have been a better choice to have on early.

Regarding your point about cars and cycling, the fact of the matter is the beeb DID change the format to create a more broad ranging Ski Sunday and now they've changed it back. It's a move that's going backwards and doesn't show any drive to create unique programming.

For the general punter who doesn't have subscription-based TV (SKY etc) there is very little in the way of snowsports, whereas with motoring there are at least five motoring programmes on through the year (Top Gear, 5th Gear, BTCC, F1 and WRC) plus we have late night stuff like rallycross, Formula 3 and all the 'junior' formulas.

On the cycling front, I'd hazard a guess that there are more cycle racers out there than there are downhill/slalom skiers (regardless of what the percentage of the total number of cyclists), which is why the TDF is broadcast as it is; one long race that is basically THE race to watch, if you're interested in cycle racing that is.

I am not saying that ski racing is not exciting - it is bloody amazing – but to change something so radically is a massive mistake.

Let's hope High Altitude is worth watching... if I'm still awake at 10pm on a Sunday night!
snow conditions
I watched the downhill live via the red button on Sat morning and the Slalom live today at mid-day. Well-done BBC! I was getting so depressed due to the lack of Ski-ing on free tv that I was seriously considering getting SKY !! Shocked

Thought the 30mins at 5:10ish + the snooker (typical BBC) was ok..... good idea splitting the format...... never took to the "topgear on snow" format, but accept it has its place / fans....

One point whilst Matt Chilton's commentary was excellent.....who was the clown they got to commentate on the live races.....he clearly didn't know one end of a ski from the other......he gave absolutely no incite whatsoever into the racing (presumably cause he didn't know what he was watching!) instead he resorted to reeling off endless statistics. to top it off he couldn't even get the names right.....since when was Beni Reich pronounced Reeeece.....
Other than that - excellent Smile
snow report
Specialman, a lot of people found the change from the racing format to the magazine format an extremely radical change. The BBC message boards were full of complaints last season about the change in format and the relegation of the racing. GB's mincing around the alps in summer was an embarrassment and belonged on something Judith Chalmers would present. The 'teaching a celeb' thing with the soft-focus fire-side chat in the chalet was cringeworthy as well, plus the tips given to the celebs were worthless. I would like to have seen more instruction, more pointers on how the celebrities could improve which would've translated into how the viewers themselves can improve their skiing. Hopefully the off-piste stuff in HA will be more interesting and allow the celebs' personalities to come out a bit more by putting them out of their comfort zones on the mountainside - far better than the staged chat.

Regarding the race itself, I'm sure the Hundschopf used to be a lot bigger in the past, as did the finish jump, although the Ziel-S looked as hard as ever. Has the course been remodelled or are the improved skis allowing tighter lines to be taken leading up to the jumps and better preparation hence shorter distances off them?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy