Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What amateur European snowsports events can I compete in this season?

Poster: A snowHead
I am bored with just slding down pistes, I need some kind of competition to keep me interested.

I know there are loads of amateur events out there but I can't find any summarised information. I have added events I know about below with a short description but I would delighted for others to add more if they know of any.

-Would like to know Event name
-Location of Event
-Date or approximation of date in 2009
-Type of event
-Website it available
-Other useful info

Here's some I know of

The Weiss Ring Rennen

Lech/Zurs, Austria

Jan 17th 09

The order of the day will be to complete the roughly 22 kilometres of pistes and 5,500 m in altitude covered on the White Ring ski circuit during the longest ski race in the world

http://www.derweissering.at/english/index.html

Race is full

The Inferno

Murren

21-24 Jan 09

This spectacular annual event is so popular that participation has to be limited to "only" 1800 competitors - about half the skiers who would like to participate. The course covers 15.8 kilometres of contrasting terrain and topography, and is open to the skiing public at other times of the year.

http://www.inferno-muerren.ch/frame_e.html

Race is full

Grand Raid

France various resorts, Saturdays from 24/01 to 18/04

Off-piste racing series

http://www.grandraidgoretex.fr/s-2009/rep-evenements.html

Der Weisse Rausch (The White Thrill)

St Anton am Arlberg

April 25th, 2009

The spring sporting highlight - "The White Thrill", - several hundred skiers, Snowboarders, Bigfooters and Telemarkers meet on the Valluga at 2650 meters for the mass start.

"The White Thrill" is also the first stage of the alpine triathlon "Arlberg Eagle". Whoever would like to hold the popular winner trophy high in his hands in the late summer must be ahead of the field in the ski race, in the half marathon in July and in the mountain-bike marathon in August.

http://stantonamarlberg.com/arlbergadler/rausch.htm

Only 500 places available

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 6-01-09 13:12; edited 5 times in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
EoSB race Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Mad Goat Ride. 18-22 February 2009.

Quote:
International Big Mountain Competition will take place on some of the steepest slopes in Bulgarian Mountains

Rules - possibly current - though the lift pass doesn't seem to tie up with the number of competition days.

45 skiers and 15 snowboarders permitted - but they have a waiting list.

Quote:
Competition Fee - 160 EUR

The Competition Fee is payable in cash at the race office in hotel.
The fee includes:
- 3 nights Half Board accommodation,
- 3 days ski lift pass,
- admission to compete
- life and medical insurance for the event

I think being seriously insane is a perquisite. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 6-01-09 13:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Derby de la Meije
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do check your insurance cover. Most policies exclude any form of racing.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RobW, Don't be a spoil sport snowHead But good advice.

To make it easier for snowheads please provide as much detail in this thread as possible but a website is always a useful starter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Infinity Zermatt. You've missed this season's though.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Super keep them coming

Colin B, I like this rule in Infinity - 'Families can win the event — when a child under the age of 12 takes part, the time is divided by 3.' Not that I have any children but I wonder could you strap them to your back or would they have to slide?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Fleche? Run weekly in most French resorts. Your competing against yourself more than anything else.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, What type of event is it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
GS, although you can do a slalom as well (the Chamois races). Ask at the ESF office next time you're in a French resort. In summary a time is set by a local opener, which is calibrated back to the time set by a WC skier at the start of the season. You are then awarded a badge (bronze, silver, vermeil or gold IIRC) depending on your time.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Ross, you can try these http://www.saas-fee.ch/allalin-rennen/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are some more here http://www.btinternet.com/~john.p.williams/masters/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, good shout. I thoroughly enjoyed my couple of races in Morzine. I'd love to give it another go now that I actually have a bit of a clue about racing...

Of a similar nature, for those heading Stateside, there is also the NASTAR race series:

GS races held throughout the season in many American ski resorts (and Fernie in BC). Some of the courses are quite simple, others more like a 'proper' GS.

Nature Valley NASTAR Race Series

---

Kokanee Valley Race Series

Held in Whistler throughout the season. Run two or three times a month, encompasses one of SL, GS or SG each time round. Entertaining prize evening after the race. Includes pro and amateur categories (lots of fun prizes for amateurs, such as free kit).

Kokanee Valley Race Series
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
skisimon, just out of interest, the NASTAR races were modelled on the Fleche races in France.
snow report
rob@rar, quite right (kind of what made me think of NASTAR to add to the list). A really good idea if you ask me. They even adopted fore-runners who are themselves measured against a single point, meaning that anyone, at any resort should be in with a roughly equal chance of making the season finals. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
http://www.bumpbash.com
snow conditions
Martin Bell wrote:

That looks a bit masochistic Laughing
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Martin Bell wrote:

That looks a bit masochistic Laughing

I agree masochistic indeed! Has anyone competed in any of the races mentioned so far?
latest report
For all those competitive types on snowheads, some 09/10 season dates for these events,

Der Weiss Ring Rennen Lech/Zurs Jan 16th 2010

Inferno Murren Jan 23rd 2010
latest report
Peter Ross, any one legged events coming up ? wink
latest report
Peter Ross, your chances of getting a start in the Inferno are better if you join the Kandahar (www.kandahar.org.uk) - that said my sis-in-law just put in an application and having done it once before got a place. I have been told that as it was started by a bunch of mad dogs and Englishmen, UK nationality gives you an advantage in registering. This year will be my 8th.

I did my first for exactly the same reason you want to - it gets somewhat addictive.
ski holidays
Derby Robert Blanc 03 mars 2010 Les Arc
snow conditions
under a new name, thanks for the tip, it's good to know you are still in one piece after 7 races!

rayscoops, like a snow hopping competition or something? although I saw a pro golfer with one leg on telly last week!
latest report
kevinrhead wrote:
Derby Robert Blanc 03 mars 2010 Les Arc

Also in Les Arcs (well technically Peisey-Vallandry) is the Derby de Derby - a pairs team event where you have to do the most number of laps of the Derby lift by whichever route you choose in 90 minutes, and rather handily there is a choice of blue, red, black runs down from the top.

Next year it's 13th Jan 2010

http://www.peisey-vallandry.com/file-introduction_agenda-254-UK-Y-OT-DERBY-HIVER-PEISEY_VALLANDRY.html
ski holidays
If you're after a challenge further west, have a look at http://www.skitosea.com/
The annual Mount Baker to Fairhaven race in May.
8 man team for seven race legs (Cross Country Ski; Downhill Ski/Snowboard; Running; Road Bike; Canoe; Mountain Bike; Kayak)
latest report
Peter Ross wrote:
under a new name, thanks for the tip, it's good to know you are still in one piece after 7 races!

rayscoops, like a snow hopping competition or something? although I saw a pro golfer with one leg on telly last week!

err ....no ...... but I remember the video you posted last season of a jump you did (L2A ?) and I thought you might have more of a chance at winning a competition against one legged skiers Shocked wink
ski holidays
Peter Ross, Serre Chevalier Derby is usually at the end of March, but no details up on the website yet.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, your a smart guy, I have signed up for the Salomon Grom camp in Dublin next month so no more poor jumping after that!

Richard_Sideways, that sounds like a proper event although really only a challenge if the same person could do every leg. Mind you to have all that gear you'd need a truck to get it to the race!
snow report
achilles wrote:
The Mad Goat Ride. 18-22 February 2009.

Does Megamum know about this? Toofy Grin
latest report
Another non-European event, which usually features the odd snowHead is the Whistler Peak to Valley race (http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/todo/events/mountain/peaktovalley.htm)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy