Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arriving in Turin quite late

Poster: A snowHead
My brother and I are arriving in Turin with Ryan Air at 22.20 on Thursday 22nd Jan for a long weekend's skiing. We are planning to hire a car and drive to a resort (yet to be decided) that night. I am a bit concerned about snow chains, which I think might be mandatory in the Aosta valley. I have emailed Holiday Autos but they will only say that they can't guarantee anything. They are cheap for a reason.

I just wondered if anyone has successfully made a trip like this or if you have any suggestions about affordable alternatives to hiring a car at that time of night. Are we better going to France for example?

Thanks for any help,

David
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
davidmorton, well I've just recently had problems with holiday autos. If they give you an alfa romeo, if you don't refuse it may be something you will later regret. They have been a pile of poo sorting out problems.

If they are using TARGARENT, have better luck than I did.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You could go to Pila. This would involve a direct train from Turin to Aosta and then a cablecar directly into the resort.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dippdydoodogg, a cable car after 22.20? Puzzled I'm not quite sure they would run that late. Although I may be wrong.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your help.
I think it's going to be too late to get anywhere by public transport so will book a car "with chains" and cross our fingers. I guess if there aren't any we'll have to stay the night in Turin and get some chains in the morning unless anyone has a better plan.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You could get fabric "snow chains" and take them with you. At least that way you will be assured of having them whether you need them or not. I have seen them used in the Pyrennes and Andorra. Not sure what type of fabric they are made of but they are much lighter in weight than metal chains ( handy given Ryanairs baggage allowances ).

Heres a link to one source http://www.fasteronline.co.uk/Sumex-sumex-fabric-covers-snow-driving-p-3572.html?osCsid=9a975e32738a61e9d975e6bab53acdaa

I am sure there are others if you search around.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hers another alternative to chains http://www.autosock.co.uk/

I am quite sure that these were the ones I saw on several cars last year in Pas De La Casa.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If it's still Hertz at Turin (it used to be) why not phone Hertz and discuss it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RobertC, That's got to be worth a go but I'll have a look at fabric chains as well.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidmorton, I've done the drive to Turin to Cervinia from that same RA flight and I hired chains through Hertz although never needed them. If you're going to Cervinia you must have chains as the approach to resort is hairpin bends and precipetous drops...

But I would not recommned Hertz as they shafted me with €€€ of hidden extras, so I can't really offer any helpful advice
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
why not arrange a transfer to resort with a transfer company - assuming you know where you want to go (or will do before you fly)? must be cheaper than hiring a car and none of the hassle - we are on the same RA flight to turin start of feb and have arranged transfers to SC - works out about 70 euro rtn each (for 7 of us in an 8 seater)- worth looking into?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lib-banana, there is just him and his Bro, so I think that's what makes taxi transfers a bit unaffordable
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

here is just him and his Bro, so I think that's what makes taxi transfers a bit unaffordable

no not necessarily - most of the transfer operations offer seats on transfer buses - so you don't have to have a load of people to get a transfer - for example:
http://www.a-t-s.net/6853/en/default.aspx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will look into it again. that would be much better it's just I was quoted 600 euros rtn
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I hope it helps david, I think it does depend on which resort you are heading to (how far and how often they run there I guess) but it would seem to be easier than hiring a car (unless you want a car to drive around resorts etc) - there are a lot of transfer companies on the google search and they do seem to vary quite a lot in price (budget to luxury I guess!)

I think we are actually booked with this bunch to go Turin to SC (the chalet have organised it):
http://www.ctataxi.it/homeENG.htm
snow report
davidmorton, lib-banana, you won't get a shared transfer from Turin at 22.20pm on a Thursday... Even the very busy routes like GVA to Chamonix stop at about 8.00
ski holidays
Unfortunately I think red27 might be right about the transfers stopping earlier than davidmorton's flight gets in. But try ATS as we got a shared transfer for just over £70 return per person from Turin to Cervinia.
snow report
lib-banana, would be very cheeky of me to ask whether you are travelling out on 7 Feb, and if so whether there may be a spare seat on your transfer to SC for a fellow snowhead? [/b]
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy