Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you ever been in a fight on a mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Ravascletto, Jan 1980. My first week on skis.

My school from Newcastle, and a school from Glasgow were in neighbouring hotels in a virtually empty resort. There were on-slope rumbles, the Scots skiing past and taking swipes at us with their ski poles while we were trapped on the poma lift - shouting "Remember Bannockburn"

It was like a Bond movie, minus the rifles Shocked

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 5-01-09 21:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisdavis, Whoever said the Scot's and Geordies were a violent lot.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
two 'incidents' ...

first in Strawberry fields in Niseko, a couple years back. I clipped a hidden tree root, partially lost control and came very close to a Japanese boarder who was standing about 5m below me. It was my fault - I missed him, running over board, and he headed down to where i stopped and was apologizing. Lots of Japanese insults followed, and a few signs I understood, but no violence. Was close tho ...

Second, 10 days ago in Whistler, I was stood on edge of Dave Murray downhill videoing friends when a teenage snowboarder hit me - his board, my knees - I didn't see him at all! I fell on top of him, and did throw a pathetic punch which clipped his shoulder, but then just resorted to a barrage of insults over his profuse apologies. My right hand is still somewhat damaged.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Second day skiing ever at Andorra.

Just about getting down the nursery slope when two 16-y-olds deliberately tried to knock me over.

I (being of considerably greater bulk) shoulder charged the second one and we went over together - I then sat on top of him telling him that if I saw him again that week

he would need surgery to extract his skis - maybe not quite as politely as that.

Not very dignified at the age of 43 in the middle of the beginners piste but I was concentrating so hard on learning - it bugged me and I lost it - a bit......
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, never been in a fight but was on the receiving end of an aggressive frenchman last week in Meribel who obviously wanted a fight with someone and for no apparent reason chose me! It was New Years Day and he was still pi**ed I reckon or maybe case of mistaken identity. Either way no excuse for shoulder barging me off the piste then waiting for me further down the piste where he forced me to a stop grabbed my jacket and threw/shoved me off the piste again, this time hitting my shoulder on a pylon and injuring it. Actually thought he was going to headbutt me at one point he had so completely lost it. I was too shocked to follow him and was unfortunately on my own having just left one group to hook up with another. All this on an innocuous green trail without many people on it and I was skiing in complete control. Whatever no excuses as he behaved appalling and left me with an injured shoulder and badly shaken for a couple of days. I've given a description of him to the lifties and pisteurs in the hope that he'll have his pass taken away but he didn't have a local accent so is probably long gone. All rather strange but scary loss of temper on s part Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First and only time I've witnessed true snow-rage was in Obergurgl (Austria) a couple of weeks back:

Snowboarder cuts across piste, knocks over skier, before falling off the side of the piste. Skier picks himself up, removes his remaining ski (the other is some 10ft up the run) and makes his way down towards the boarder. At this point it looks like he's going to turn the other cheek and check if the boarder is okay ... but no, he walks up to the boarder (who is still laid-out in the snow) gives him a punch in the face, walks back up, collects his skis and off he goes.

And that was that.

Very strange ... Confused
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
haven't seen a fight but have seen the results of one...

in the pub and an anouncement comes over the pub sound system 'could i have your attention for a second ladies and gentlemen, steve could you stand up for a second' guy stands up holding a hankey to his cheek 'if you were ever wondering how to deal with out of control boarders then take note - steve knocked over an eight year old girl skier in ski schoool this morning... who promtley stood up and slapped him round the face with her ski pole. nice one steve.' - the poor chump had a huge gash on his cheek!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DrE, wow, that's style!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No. But then I've never got into a fight anywhere. Is it more or less likely that you pugnacious lot do it up a mountain?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
maggi, the only time I ever did, it was in a school playground, and I was about ten years old. A pugnacious lot indeed, including the poster who just deleted an account of his deeds of derring-do! wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle,

Quote:

including the poster who just deleted an account of his deeds of derring-do

does spyderman have new superpowers of invisibility... Laughing Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, ha ha ha, you saw it too!!! And you've unmasked him! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, here i am up too late trying to work out a lesson plan for tomorrow and thinking i am seeing things...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, skimottaret, Damn... I missed it.... what did it say? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schuss in Boots, picked somebody up and bodily took them to the back of a lift queue! Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing Thanks! I can picture it now wink Was thinking it might be useful ammunition for Spydabuse.... but on reflection.... Toofy Grin
latest report
Yep, a young tallyho on a snowboard crashed into my son in Kitzbuhel mumbled a "woops" and off he went down the piste, at which point I heard him and his friend laughing.

I lost the plot and skiied after them. Evil or Very Mad

I saw them still boarding and on piste a hundred metres ahead and just basicaly skkied as fast as I could straight into him with my pole in front, he went down in a heap, I stopped fully took off my skis and just got stuck in. His mate was so horrified with my primal demostration of anger he legged it.

Sanity returned after maybe ten digs. I clipped back into my skis, stole his gloves and goggles/helmet and shot off down the mountain.

Threw his stuff in the bin, rang the son - he was ok and left my very bright jacket behind the bar. Waited outside the bar for son to come down and had to listen to a tirade of whinging from him about not checking on him. I told him I didn't see anything!

Anyway the key to winning in a scrap is get the skis off first Toofy Grin
snow report
Killian, you said it! Last year we were skiing in Flachauwinkl ,late afternoon when a very large middle aged man collided with my 12year old son literally knocking him through the air. With a brief glance over his shoulder he made off as fast as he could go, but my husband was quicker, caught him, whipped off his skis and started laying into him much to the enjoyment of the surrounding crowd. My husband then dragged him to the lifties where they have a´resident policeman.The offender then spent the rest of the afternoon there, partly to sober up as he was totally drunk.While I am not one to promote violence,it was a moment to savour! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Once watched 3 fights kick off in a large lift queue of people waiting to get up an old montaz mautino fixed grip 3 man chair which links (linked?) LesMenuires to Meribel. It was near the end of the day and a lot of people were getting a bit stressed at the thought of missing the last lift and having to pay a large taxi bill to get back to their respective valleys. Of course full french queue management systems were in place rolling eyes (none then) and everyone had fanned out trying to get onto the lift. This was made worse by a 2 foot high lip which some piste basher had left across the queueing area which everyone was having to climb over, so skis and boards were getting stood on all over the place. I saw at least 3 fights go off full punches the works one lasted for a couple of minutes!

Me andmy mates stood back and had a laugh at it all. The lifties looked pretty worried as the crowds mood was pretty ugly and I think they may have got lynched by the queue if they'd turned the lift off with people still queueing to get on! Laughing
ski holidays
One of my kids was nearly knocked over by an out of control skier in VT. The piste was quiet and he stopped 400 metres away. I shouted abuse at him but no damage was done. I have often imagined how I would feel if one of them got a proper whack, I think a lot would depend on the subsequent action of the offender. That said, I would never get into a fight over pushing in at a lift queue, neither would I haul someone out of a queue or physically manhandle them. Yes have a strong words but life and skiing are too brief to get into a slopeside fight. The slopes are dangerous enough without getting locked up or battered.
snow report
Quote:

stole his gloves and goggles/helmet and shot off down the mountain.

Threw his stuff in the bin,

nice touch Toofy Grin insult to injury...
latest report
An out of control boarder going flat out, somersaulted into Mrs Axs at Wengen last year, fortunately missing her body by inches and landing on the backs of her skis. I was 20 odd yards behind and went into full on vengeful husband mode, but (probably fortunately) the little g1t out paced me on his board and got away. I was more annoyed that he boarded faster than i skied than I was about the near accident. Embarassed
snow conditions
Not yet, but it will come one day I am sure....

And certainly like the style of pinching the stuff...
Quote:

stole his gloves and goggles/helmet and shot off down the mountain.

Threw his stuff in the bin,

Did have the pleasure Puzzled of seeing a punch up over a pair of crushed sunnies a few years ago in Serre Che. We were in the Cafe Soleil terrace with great view of offloading skiiers from the chair that comes up from Chantemerle. Two guys offloaded then were at it like hammer and tongs. Not even a ski instructor or a liftie were able to separate them, but they eventually stopped. The funny thing about is was...it was Christmas day. Toofy Grin Good will etc etc... snowHead
latest report
All these stories are great arguments for skinning and off piste....
ski holidays
This is a really sad thread, if I crashed in to some one it would be by accident (not deliberate anyway) and I would apologise and hope that it would be accepted, but if some one then thumped me I would honestly take my board off an smash it over their heads. Fighting is not big, and bullying comes in many forms, and I bet most people who have said they have hit someone has done so only because they were bigger than the person in quesion edit - or a short @rse with a chip on their shoulders Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 6-01-09 15:11; edited 3 times in total
snow report
rayscoops, I partly agree with your sentiments, but in my experience it is the vertically challenged who are more likely to lose it.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, Very true.

I also think that there is a world of difference between what you might FEEL like doing to someone who's just knocked your wife/child/grandmother for 6, and what you would ACTUALLY do when you 'got hold of them'.

I suspect a good deal more shouting and cursing would be dished out by most people than actual bodily harm (which IMHO is a good thing). snowHead
snow report
rayscoops,
Quote:

I would honestly take my board off an smash it over their heads. Fighting is not big,

Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi wrote:
No. But then I've never got into a fight anywhere.

Ahem, the bar under Xscape Castleford, a pint of beer and 2 bouncers suddenly spring to mind. Toofy Grin They were brave men
latest report
FenlandSkier, but I didn't touch anyone Shocked . It was all verbal Little Angel .

And if you continue to ruin my reputation I might just break my fight duck. (Geddit Laughing Laughing Laughing groan.)
ski holidays
maggi, That would be a boring fight..... *punch* *duck* *punch* *duck* Laughing
snow conditions
I'm a lover not a fighter..... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
rayscoops,
Quote:

I would honestly take my board off an smash it over their heads. Fighting is not big,

Puzzled

self defence, every one who says they have hit some one seems to have just walked away from the incident with out any retaliation

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 7-01-09 11:54; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Scarpa wrote:
*punch* *duck* *punch* *duck*

Sounds like my kind of buffet.
snow report
paulio, Laughing
latest report
Quote:

receiving end of an aggressive frenchman last week in Meribel who obviously wanted a fight with someone

That could be the first time in Histroy they didnt retreat! I hope you got his pic for the history books

rayscoops, I think when most people get aggresive it has to do with people not apologising to them for Crashing into them and thinking it is funny. If someonw apologises and is sincere fair enough accidents happens it is the ones who think it is funny that make me Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Ordhan, I agree with that but I do not think thumping some one is the solution, take them to the lifties or get witnesses to collaboarate the event or what ever, it all seems a bit self gratifying and I am sure that most do not thump a six foot four shaven headed smirking culprit wink

edit - actually most examples on here seem to relate to hitting 'a teenager' Shocked

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 7-01-09 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Ordhan,
Quote:

If someonw apologises and is sincere fair enough accidents happens

Agree absolutely, even if different nationality/differnet lingo it's pretty easy to express an apology. I got clobbered (not seriously) on the head last week by a young lad who was pushing to get into a bubble (why I ask myself, there wasn't even a massive queue Puzzled ), and his board came over my shoulder as he jammed it into the slot. I did tell him that he had actually knocked me and he just shrugged Evil or Very Mad I did feel p*****d off but really didn't have the energy to say anything as it was less than 24hrs after the chairlift incident, see other thread rolling eyes
ski holidays
paulio, I love your sense of humour. Please tell me that you are a cute athletic goth biker chick who climbs and skis and possesses pert breasts.
latest report
Scarpa, He probably can be if you ask nicely... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy