Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Picturesque resorts?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The view from Mont Fort - Switzerland is absoluly fantastic ! Ray Mears needs to see it Very Happy

(But the resorts are not picturesque at all I'm affraid.)

Some fantastic photos posted above ! Thaks for sharing them Very Happy

Am looking at Selva at the mo. (Struggling hard to to get accomodation Puzzled ) .. But it looks sooooo stunning !!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Saas fee has stunning scenery. I like ischgl, and les gets
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I nominate Colfosco in the Dolomites, pretty onion-domed church, wooden chalet architecture, canyon-like setting with the icing sugar dusted limestone buttresses of the 3000m Sella massif towering over, mostly ski-in ski-out to 450 km of ski area too, awesome!!

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Prettiest 3V resort is about as meaningful as sexiest teletubbie.

Laughing Meribel has some quite attractive individual buildings, but the whole possesses no form as a settlement - places like Alpbach, or Murren, have a history as a settlement which gives the places some raison d'etre, and they have not sprawled so much that they have no realistic link with their past. Megeve is very different - it has sprawled (though at least, unlike Meribel, it has a history as a settlement and a longer history as a ski resort). The centre is nice enough, in a "loads of posh shops and restaurants" sort of way, but it doesn't really compare. However, the mountain scenery round Megeve is far superior to that around Alpbach, in my view. Depends what you're after, I suppose. When I visited Alpbach I enjoyed the fact that there were barns, with cows in, in the middle of the town - you could take a jug along and get some milk. Does that happen in Murren, too? The Jungfrau area, Zermatt and the Dolomites are probably the most impressive mountain scenery though "picturesque" is a demeaning sort of word to apply to the Matterhorn! Suppose it depends what you're after.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Prettiest 3V resort is about as meaningful as sexiest teletubbie.

Laughing Meribel has some quite attractive individual buildings, but the whole possesses no form as a settlement - places like Alpbach, or Murren, have a history as a settlement which gives the places some raison d'etre, and they have not sprawled so much that they have no realistic link with their past. Megeve is very different - it has sprawled (though at least, unlike Meribel, it has a history as a settlement and a longer history as a ski resort). The centre is nice enough, in a "loads of posh shops and restaurants" sort of way, but it doesn't really compare. However, the mountain scenery round Megeve is far superior to that around Alpbach, in my view. Depends what you're after, I suppose. When I visited Alpbach I enjoyed the fact that there were barns, with cows in, in the middle of the town - you could take a jug along and get some milk. Does that happen in Murren, too? The Jungfrau area, Zermatt and the Dolomites are probably the most impressive mountain scenery though "picturesque" is a demeaning sort of word to apply to the Matterhorn! Suppose it depends what you're after.

My old ski instructor in Murren (Hans Otto RIP) was a farmer and kept his cows close to the village and after the lesson he would often ask our family if we would like to see them ...he was so proud of them.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
IMO, Les Arcs (espec 1600, 1800 and 2000)

You forgot that kitsch eurodisney monstrosity 1950! Give me 1800 any day.

As for Meribel - if one's idea of charm is a drunken rave in the B&Q garden shed department...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Megeve is very different - it has sprawled (though at least, unlike Meribel, it has a history as a settlement and a longer history as a ski resort).

by about 4 years Pam. The recent architecture in Megeve is undoubtedly of a much high class than at Meribel. Buildings designed by Henri Jacques le Même although it is arguable that the original Hotel Albert Ier looked like an airport terminal building - le Corbusier has a lot to answer for).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
To me, mountains are beautiful. End of story!

Some mountains ARE better looking than others. But that's a very personal taste. For example, I've been to Kitzbhul and Wengen. Hearing so much about Wengen before hand, I was somewhat "underwhelmed" by it. It's pretty but not specially so. The Eiger is grand, but that's true of all mountains anyway. Kitzbuhl, I wasn't expecting much, seem picture-perfect to me!

Even in France, even though the village of Val Thoren isn't worth wasting much film/digital memory, the mountain is nonetheless beautiful! Same goes for Colorado, which isn't my favorate. I'm skiing here right now and I'm glad I took my camera... there's a flock of big horn sheeps on the side of the highway!!!

North America, Lake Tahoe is very pretty. Banff also live up to my huge expectation (and beyond). I'll tell you about Jackson Hole in 3-4 weeks. I've been there in the summer so I have high hope for the winter view. Some sleeper in the N.A.: Taos in New Mexico and Briandhead in southern Utah. Both are strange for ski resorts in desert country.

Nature, as mountains all are, is beautiful in its own way. It's the man-made stuff, base village, that sometimes don't mix well into that beautiful environment!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abc, you will love Chinque Torre at Cortina, really most beautiful mountains ever seen. Used to have old one seater chairlift that closes from side like schooldesk.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sainte Foy! Chocolate box chalets (most of them pretty new, but some proper old places up where we are at the top of the village). And you look across to this:

Our place:

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lizski wrote:
abc, you will love Chinque Torre at Cortina, really most beautiful mountains ever seen. Used to have old one seater chairlift that closes from side like schooldesk.

It's still there, I rode it 10 days ago! Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stevomcd, looks gorgeous. snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy