Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

En fin, une connexion internet............ou bonjour de St Gervais

Poster: A snowHead
Just had a text to that effect! - Unfortunately, I 'survived' the chaos that was Gatwick airport on Monday and am back in the UK until Friday.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Annie, Annie, busman's holiday. snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Annie, hope these will cheer you up

Flying Bogie takes scenic route

while parents wait

and next day he is in action on the slalom test run

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Late starter, hello! Very glad to hear from Annie that the skiing bug is still biting you. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w, Hi - and now managing easy red runs - and to stay on a Poma that stopped and reversed slightly! Still like greens and easy blues tho Very Happy And Dave can do chairlifts and fly too Very Happy Loved Les Saisies so still on my 'get back to soon' list snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Loved Les Saisies so still on my 'get back to soon' list

Be sure to let us know when you're coming, and we can show you around some more of the area. snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Will do. Very Happy Thanks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
God it's good to be back!

I say that in two contexts; the obvious one that I'm back 'home' in St Gervais ( a bit scary just how easily that slips off the tongue) after a nightmarish trip to the UK - just why was almost every flight from Geneva cancelled last Monday.............except mine? and secondly I came back to find that our 'borrowed' internet connection had disappeared. Now that was a real nightmare - I did wonder for a moment if Skimottaret's thread had prompted someone to check their security and we'd been switched off but obviously not as this afternoon the little blue 'you're connected' thingy sprang back into life much to my relief.

So, it was great to see Late starter, last weekend and to show her round the sights and sounds of St Gervais. The Bogee had another go at the Fleche but very obviously to any onlooker screwed up a gate to the point of a virtual standstill and only got the Bronze this time out - he was mighty hacked off with himself!!! We sort of worked out how the awards work; The simplistic explanation for anyone that doesn't know is a pacesetter goes down the course and depending on his/her time, to get a gold you need to get down within about 10 -15% of the time, 25% or so for a vermeil, 30 -40% for a silver etc etc................For a more detailed 'how it works' http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=593 seems to be a bit more scientific!

Anyway, not only am I back............but drumroll please, so is 'Liability Josh' So far he's survived 2 days without injury, which is something of a record!
Yesterday was a very gentle potter round the greens and today both he and The Bogee spent the morning in ski school where they will remain all week to mitigate some of the risk of the impending crowds

Having said that, and it's early days, but as this was the first day of the holiday season I was pleasantly suprised. Marginally but not significantly busier than a normal Sunday. The caveat to that being that it was very cold - first time I've had truly raw hands since arriving - and most of the day was spent playing hunt the piste marker in the fog, which I guess may have kept a few people home in front of the fire. Even the local papers where saying how quiet things are this week, and both Josh and The Bogee were in classes of 6 today with ESF so I'm hoping.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

both Josh and The Bogee were in classes of 6 today with ESF

that sounds great! Hope they both enjoy themselves.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After days of white out, snow, more snow and then a bit more snow - good news for all you half termers heading out tomorrow, the slopes are in fantastic nick, covered in that lovely squeaky snow. Things have been so good that they've even officially opened the St Gervais run down to .............believe it or not, St Gervais. A word of caution though, it is very very very icy! Today at last though, the sun came out to play, beautiful, but bitterly cold. I mentioned in the previous post that for holiday period it was surprisingly quiet. It has remained that way all week - a busy sunday at worst, the telling point being that it's been possible to go to the supermarket in Sallanches and still find a parking space to return to. Unfortunately I'm not expecting the same luxury next week but have fingers crossed that it won't be too bad with the plan B of heading to some of the itsy bitsy ski areas round here if it gets too horrible

Bogee and Josh had a good week in lessons, neither class grew past 6 and Josh is now the proud owner of a 3eme etoile and has 3 blacks under his belt, with all extremeties still attached. Bogee notched up another argent in the fleche test yesterday but is closing the gap on the vermeil being just 3% off the time on the last attempt. We had an excellent evening on Wednesday, watching the Mont Blanc ice hockey team whooping Annecy 9-2 It was about time they had a win as have been languishing at nthe bottom of the league.

Other than that a bit same old, same old this week interspersed by the frustration of the coming and going internet connection........though as we're not paying, I can't get too upset I suppose.

Oh yes, don't suppose anyone wants a dog? The dog sitter at home has had enough of our mutt for a variety of reasons most of which have not much to do with him at all. Well, you never know..........
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Annie,it's a bit far for you to fetch him/her up to Durham. Jules could do with another animal to annoy the hell out of him. He is currently sitting with the dogs head on one knee, a cat on the other, and another cat round his shoulders.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, I think he could do with a decent walk - couple of hundred miles? He'll be there tomorrow! Not much of a cat dog though' Oh and best wishes to Jules too - sounded horrid and glad he's making what sounds like a grand recovery.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Annie, Ice hockey is brilliant to watch in the flesh isn't it? I used to go to the Aviemore Blackhawks every time they played at home, couldn't get into it on telly though. well done to James for his second Argent + getting close to Vermeil - great stuff. Since he hasn't really done any race training prior to getting out there it's a tremendous effort. Very Happy Very Happy Sorry I can't help with the dog. Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Had planned to go over to Combloux today so were up the mountain by just after 9 to mosey on down Milloz and to the bus But is was SO quiet on the St Gervais side that we had a change of heart and decided to stay local. As yesterday it was cold, cold, cold with a fair few clouds that soon started to sputter snow. As we were up so early we decided for a change to head for St Nicolas which we find is best in the morning when there is a little bit of sun around.
So, off down Clementines which I haven't done since the end of December when I was an embarrassing heap of wimpishness - Don't know why, but I really didn't like it back then, anyway today it was just a point a to point b run. I was almost disappointed that it didn't seem harder! A quick jaunt down to the village then back up via a charming old 2 man chairlift where you take you skis off and put them in what is best described as a quiver on the back of the chair. It creaks slowly upwards and at the top launches you into the waiting arms of the gallant lifties who then reclaim your skis for you. An interesting experience but all in all I'll take the 4 man detachable for preference. Spun round most of the blues and reds then had a spot of lunch at The Schuss before Josh started to crave some slopes he knew, so headed back St Gervais ways. Not quite sure how it happened, must have been the goggle lenses or I was just daydreaming as we got off the drag I turned right thinking I was turning onto the blue petit choucas ........it wasn't until I was thinking 'hmmm bit steep this blue' and glanced sidewards that I realised I was in fact coming down the grand Choucas black instead....not one I'd had the pleasure of before. If anyone finds themselves doing the same thing, it really isn't too bad! ....or I'm a heck of a lot better than I think I am! Certainly got the bottom knee bending!!!!!

Now sitting looking out of the window at the depressing sight (for us, but no doubt very welcome to the local business - don't think last week was a good one to be in the restaurant trade here) of bumper to bumper cars edging their way up the road, which means they'll no doubt all be on MY mountain tomorrow. Off out to dinner tonight, well we are if you count dining at the Crescendo cafe at Carrefour in between stocking up on loo rolls.

Easiski, The bogee is dead keen now to see EVERY hockey match and yes he's really focused on getting that next badge, though has been suffering the usual problem of being the best in the group this week so not been pushed as hard as we or even he says he would have liked.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Where are all the people then??????

So it was a bit tight on the ski bus and telecabine and yes the usual suspects of the Ideal chair, mont d'arbois bubble and mont Joux chair were at times a little congested (3minutes 32 seconds from back of queue to bum on chair was the slowest today - how sad am I, flipping timing it! - ) but it's dead here! I mean, really really quiet. No million mile tail back on the Megeve-St Gervais road, even the gendarme perched on the Contamines roundabout was smiling for godsake. I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for the purveyors of 15euro plates of spag bol (though not quite enough to buy it at that price) It's almost spooky quite how empty the slopes are relative to the normal half term bundle.

This is the view of the main runs down to the montjoux chair from mont d'arbois taken from the Freddy drag lift at about 3pm - the red blobs are the bodies. Not many!
ski holidays
Hmm would help if one could see the red blobs ..... but if I remember rightly there are 17, that's it!
snow report
Quote:

a charming 2 old man chairlift where you take you skis off and put them in what is best described as a quiver on the back of the chair. It creaks slowly upwards and at the top launches you into the waiting arms of the gallant lifties who then reclaim your skis for you.

Laughing
latest report
An epic underestimate by messrs snow forecast.com who predicted in the region of 4cm for today. Add a 2, 3 or by tomorrow morning maybe a 4 in front of that and you might be coming close! Alledgedly tomorrow is going to be amongst the best days of the season....................and where am I? Stansted!!! Evil or Very Mad It's time for 'liability' to head home and as he's a minor that means so am I, so please pray for on time flights as we're landing at 4.05pm and I'm coming back again at 5.40pm.

The Sunday comment about the lack of people has remained accurate so far this week, even yesterday which was a stunningly gorgeous day - The only noticeable differences between this week and an average Sunday in January are a) the number of people who really should be in the company of a lady or gentleman in a red jacket. Definitely way too many husbands trying to 'teach' wives and the results can be heard at 500m, which at least is a warning to head for the trees and even The Bogee who is more adept than most at hopping out of the way has nearly been taken out on at least a couple of occasions b) the range of attire that would seem to have spent the last 20 or maybe more summers in mothballs in the attic. Unfortunately I left the camera at home today, but there is one particular gentleman I do so hope to see again - best described as a geometry lesson on legs with every colour of the rainbow represented and then some!

Spent today in Combloux, though missed the bus from princesse and went up via the Jaillet route instead which precipitated my first serious fall of the season swiftly followed by the first significant chairlift cock up. That's serious in the context of damage to pride rather than anatomy. Having just screeched demonically at Josh for weaving his way up the Salles teleski ahead of me I promptly caught an edge on the steeper section and somehow catapulted myself head first into the bank of snow on the side where 'helpfully' the Megeve ski club were waiting to run their gates. Helpful in that a couple of them were very supportive in digging me out, though could have done without the audience for the somewhat inelegant descent down their rather icy training piste!

Anyway, pride aside a good day all round finished off with an americain for 5 euro 50 shared between the 3 of us (steak hache, chips and salad baguette in case anyone is jumping ahead of themselves there!) from The Presteau bar in le Bettex which I think is jolly good value, all the more so when, like today, they take pity on you and invite you to eat it inside.
snow conditions
Quote:

Having just screeched demonically at Josh for weaving his way up the Salles teleski ahead of me I promptly caught an edge on the steeper section and somehow catapulted myself head first into the bank of snow on the side where 'helpfully' the Megeve ski club were waiting to run their gates.

Laughing Glad no permanent harm was done,Annie. It wasn't just snow-forecast which under-predicted the snow - seems they all did. Should be a fantastic day tomorrow!
snow report
Annie, Hope you made it back as planned Very Happy And a photo of the psychedelic sounding geometry costume would be lovely Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Thanks v much for the reports Annie - have just booked an apartment in Combloux for a week in March and am very excited, and this thread is certainly helping! Spent a couple of days at St Gervais a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it so looking forward to being back in the area.
snow report
NatalieG, Good shout! Combloux/Jaillet/La Giettaz is definitely my favourite of what is available on the Mont Evasion pass. Loads of snow everywhere - you won't be disappointed!
ski holidays
Quote:

Combloux/Jaillet/La Giettaz is definitely my favourite of what is available on the Mont Evasion pass.

I have a note in my diary that women can get free lift pass for Combloux on 14 and 15 March - I think it came from a link davidof posted earlier in the year.
latest report
Quote:

I have a note in my diary that women can get free lift pass for Combloux on 14 and 15 March

Darn, we're going to be there from the 23rd rolling eyes . Thanks for the tip though, would have been a great bonus.
latest report
So yesterday we had guests over from Morzine in the shape of robthenavs boss and family. Robthenav and JP stayed in to do 'work stuff' among other things to determine if the project that Robthenav is doing was moving forward sufficently that it was reasonable to continue paying him to be out here and therefore The Bogee and I were charged with providing the 'guided tour' of St Gervais. We had an initial tour in mind, but that was quickly shelved in favour of a more gentle route when the brother-in-law turned up with a right hand the size of a baseball glove having bashed it into a wall of snow at some speed on Tuesday...ouch!

The plan was to touch the main 'corners' of the St Gervais pass so we started off with a gentle 'look see' down the green poue blanc - which is seriously suffering on the 'steeper' pitches where the snow is being scraped which is making it an 'interesting' proposition for some of the real beginners then up the Bettex and Venaz drags straight into a shroud of mist. A quick chat with Walter, The Bogee's most recent ESF instructor suggested things would get better further up so that's where we headed, via the creaky old Mont Rosset chair and down Prapacot and le Plan where the slope disappeared again for a bit to the Princess bubble to tick off 'corner 1' Down towards Megeve in search of corner 2 but I look at the Rocharbois queues and we decided that corner 2 could come our way a bit on this occasion and as time was marching on give Megeve proper a miss. Mont d'arbois cabines weren't so horrid so up we went then down argent, which is quite good fun as they don't generally piste it and it's built up its' bumps again after the new snow - not enough for the bogee though who has taken to bumps big time and took the off piste bumps route instead. Up Freddy for a quick pit stop - I can recommend both the espagnole and savoyard paninis, - and the obligatory family photo with MB in the background then a quick shufty through the snow park (this is the bit where I watch!) and on to our next target of St Nicolas via Clementines, which has a couple of stretches that users of many of the other St Gervais blues would probably find quite steep - it was pretty scraped anyway. Up the Gouet drag, marked difficult, but isn't and down to the 'darling' little chair in St Nicolas village. Quickly, or as quickly as the Chattrix chair would allow, back up and down Petit Choucas (this time not confusing the blue and the black markers!) up the Croix du Christ and off down orgeres to our last target of Les Communailles. Suddenly realised that it was 4.40 and the croix chair closed at 4.45 so willed the drag lift to go faster and just made it as they were putting the last of the pass detectors to bed - phew that was close! A final blast down Chateluy and we were home and dry. a jolly good day had by all............and robthenav can still afford to buy dinner!
ski holidays
and at the 11th hour on Friday I saw 'geo man' again so here he is:
latest report
Annie, Laughing Laughing Laughing

You should track him down and make him an offer for that suit! Some EOSB ers would pay good money for such a fine example of a fartbag!

Also, love your posts, very inspiring Very Happy
snow report
well Annie, i think you've hit the nail rite on the head, saint gervais is a little gem.

the runs were quiet today so must be a changeover type of day & at one point we were the only people on the piste at many points of the day.

i'm/we're just so jealous you are here for the full season Smile

as for 'Geo Man' we'll have to keep our eyes peeled to see him but he must know Shocked

keep up the good work with your posts Annie, we should try to meet you b4 we go back to blighty!!!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
corona, it's not too bad here is it? wink Have pm'd my mobile - call if you fancy a meet.
snow report
Snowing 'lightly' this morning according to Chamonix meteo, Personally I'd call it at least moderately down here at 850m so we're spending the morning getting The Bogee's stuff together for SCHOOL tomorrow - he's just a tad nervous! - and will meet up with Siriol and her gang after lunch.

Should really have slipped Walter a few quid when we saw him on Thursday as it turned out he was the opener for the Fleche test on Friday and set a truly blistering pace,on a fast 'icy' course, the fastest by some considerable margin that we've seen. So once again the vermeil was out of reach for The Bogee Crying or Very sad Now, with school 'in the way', it'll be the end of March before he gets another shot but with only 3 days in school he's still got plenty of time to practise for the tighter gates that are giving him the most trouble - though that does meen a little more time practising and a little less time whooping around off piste and in the jumps.....and he needs to get back on the racers rather than the blades that he's taken bit of a liking to as he can do proper tricks on them.

Saturday was a glorious day, so we went into full tourist mode and caught the tram up to Les Houches - well, almost full tourist mode, as we still had the sarnies in the backpack, which was a shame as we were very tempted by some of the less 'pig and cheese' offerings and as I think I've mentioned before the restaurant prices over there are considerably more reasonable than this side of the valley - 10 euros for steak frites, 11euros for plat du jour of lamb with cassis sauce, dauphinoise and veg down at the bottom of Plan du Cret. On the subject of Plan du Cret and its' neighbour plancerts, don't be put off by the sign telling you the slope is reserved for very good skiers only. Neither the slopes or the teleski marked as very difficult are particularly so. Just be aware that the slow down sign on Plan du Cret is there for a reason as it precedes a sharpish right hand turn onto a fairly narrow (though not silly) track and missing it will launch you head first into the trees!

It's a real shame that the debacle last year means that we've got to pay 50 odd euros for the pleasure of the tram as being as the station is just out of our door we'd spend a lot more time over there if we didn't, especially as we have the season passes after The Bogee's association with the BSA. While The Bogee and I have just about broken even, this was Robthenavs first excursion so at present the daily rate is a bit high! Nevertheless it did mean that we were in the unusual position of robthenav being robthefollower for a change as The Bogee led a merry dance round the pistes, all of which are in really good shape, even the ones (well the blue and the red, can't speak for the Kandahar) down to village level.

Good couple of inches fallen down here now, so hope you're having a great morning up there corona,
latest report
The tram - just because of the name. No, the other one isn't Clarabelle, it's Marie
snow conditions
and I just love the view across from Prarion
ski holidays
Phew!!!!

This morning at 8.30 I dropped off a wan faced (lack of sleep), s**t scared little boy putting on a brave face at the College de Varrens in Passy for his first day at school. Forget the feelings of sending the little darling for his first day at primary school, this morning nailed that tenfold, throwing him into the lions den of both secondary school among all those hefty teenagers, and teenagers that spoke 'foreign' at that!

Spent the day twiddling my fingers and chewing my knuckles in twittering mummy mode (yes, I know I've been there before) doing all sorts of nice things for him in his absence; booking ski club (still the leisure variety - he may be pretty handy but seems it takes about 8 generations before the hallowed portals of the St Gervais race club creak open - can't really blame them, after all it's St Gervais champs they want to breed, not provide 'cheap' ski school for a flatlander Brit), getting the skis prepped, buying his favorite junk food tea, making crepes etc etc all in preparation for the nuclear fallout.

5pm - yes, it is a long day, the compensation being that tuesday afternoon and wednesday are sports days, out bounced The Bogee as I know and love him announcing that it's the 'best place in the world', great fun, everyone is really nice, the kids are brilliant, the teachers are ace, it's MUCH better than school in England! etc etc etc. Now whether that euphoria last until the end of April (or even the end of the week come to that) remains to be seen of course, but I have to say that I am singularly impressed with what they're doing for him already, all the more given that he's only there for 7 or 8 weeks and they are getting zero funding for him. (If it continues like this there may well be a little parting 'gift')

It started well anyway, with the head, seeing us from his office window, coming straight out before we even got in the door and shaking The Bogee firmly by the hand "Bonjour James and welcome to our school" before whisking him away to join his first class for maths. This is the point where I exited the building and the rest is secondhand 11 year old (backed up by a quic shufty at the timetable he came home clutching.)

He's been allocated a 'buddy' Paul to show him round, make sure he gets to the right classrooms and generally be his 'pal' for a bit.
He's in the same class but not allowed to sit at the same table as two other British children that he already knows - a sensible balance I think between security and avoiding the possibility of too much english chatter in the cheap seats.
There are only 22 kids in his class and he's bowled over by the welcome they've give him.
Lunch was good - this is high praise indeed from the fussist little rat on the planet!
He's the best at English in his class, he tells me smugly! (the other two brits have left for other clubs by now......so he b****y well ought to be!)
He gets 3 x 1hr sessions of FLE (the equivalent of EFL) each week with half a dozen other kids of varying nationalities and I hour of personal 1:1 tuition as he's currently classed as SEN.
This terms sport is badminton (last term was skiing) and he's been scouted for the county trials at home in his age group on the back of a bit of back garden over the washing line stuff, so is well able to hold his own in the gym.

All in all a successful day at the office!

Oh yes, and as it's a ski forum, still lots of snow, a bit warmer today, cloudy this morning but brightened this afternoon and the forecast is brightish and warmish for the rest of the week. I might actually go up and have a look tomorrow!

[/b]
latest report
Annie, great - glad to hear that he got on so well; you must be delighted. snowHead
snow report
goog stuff. Very Happy
ski holidays
bonjour Annie, sorry for not getting in touch. we had a liitle problem with the internet.

my bro battlezone, has a gimick on his fone that enables him to pick up a signal to then use his laptop, dont ask me how he does it he's the gadget man but.......after i posted my comment & he did a few other things we were probably on the net for around an hour. we came off & he gets a text message saying that he had just spent around £31, yes £31 for the privilage Shocked so as you probably already guessed we didnt go back on & now we're back in the warmth of our house in Chester le street. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad i never saw you message.

sorry for that Sad

we would have met up for a coffee of beer & picked your brain for some tips but not to worry.

lots of snow fell & at times the runs were pretty bad, it was as if they hadnt been bashed Shocked so it was a little tough on the members of 'our team' so much so that 75% of us came back ok but 25% didnt & that being my other half coronawithlime not by falling but she was standing still & one of her skis sort of stuck in the snow then she fell & has hurt her knee so much so that she didnt ski yesterday & thats never her Sad

so i/we left her on her own in a cafe while we went off to try & ski some of 'megeve' which we got all the way across to the 'radaz' lift then had to make our way back to her. along the way we found a lovely restuarant at the top of 'lanchettes' which actually gave a good size 'cup' & was the cheapest of our stay being 9.60 euros for 3 cups not like the usual 20 euros for 4 thimble size cups. also saw real good downhill racing coming off from 'cote 2000' but didnt spot the bogee wink

i liked your comment about being a 'tourist' with your sandwhiches, we did that for one day as we found that it was expensive Sad but we had a laugh but i've told the 'team' i'm bringing a flask with me when i every go skiin again & especially when we go to the EoSB this year Very Happy & its going to be filled with differnt soups everyday Very Happy Toofy Grin Very Happy Toofy Grin

we will most definately be coming back to this area but would like a few more bars on our doorstep but being mid way up from the 'bettex' we were sort of cut off so spent our evenings in our apartment living it up Smile

you & your family are very lucky to be there for the season & i'm sooo jealous but sooo pleased you are all fitting in so nicely, maybe we may see the bogee going down those runs at over 70mph in the future!!!!!!

sorry again that we didnt get the chance to meet up over a coffee or beer, but you njoi every minute of your time out there you lucky devil wink
snow report
Hi corona, Oh well, never mind. At £31 Shocked I can't say I blame you for not checking in again!! - Once again, I give thanks to our anonymous internet donor! I know what you mean about the route du Bettex or whatever it's called......you weren't seduced by the promise of 100m from the lift or whatever were you? When the mention of the fact they're vertical metres is strangely forgotten! Glad you liked it here, though please don't tell everyone! The longer it remains 'underated' the happier I'll be. Commiserations to coronawith lime Sad ......oh and thanks for leaving some decent weather behind (actually it's just a bit warm too warm at the moment!) and for taking most of the crowds, such as they were, away with you. (Overall, I think it's been busier this week than last - as Beequin said somewhere else I think, maybe the French (and the Belgians - a few of them around) did the sensible thing and avoided 'Britweek'

Yesterday The Bogee was off school so we met up with Siriol and her gang and 'tootled' (none of the kids really DO tootling) over to La Giettaz via Combloux which as usual was lovely and quiet once you cleared the main Beauregard and Pertuis lifts. Anyone heading Megevewards would be well advised IMO to include this in there schedule. IMO again it's much more interesting, (La Giettaz) than Megeve proper and the views are spectacular. The restaurants are MUCH cheaper too!

Today, Thursday, and after having done my end of the school run, I was going to crack on with some work for my next return visit to the UK. One look out of the window though and it was clear that was not to be!! Robthenav being far more disciplined resisted the lure of cloudless blue skies, so "Billy no mates" was out alone. As I've said before though I actually rather like skiing on my own; picking my own route, in my own time, stopping where and when etc. Bizarrely I am also much braver too,- still not BRAVE but happier to experiment with new runs, bumps etc on the just me days. By the time I actually made it up the mountain, it wasn't actually quite as pleasant as it was first thing. The clouds had come in and the atmosphere was heavy, that sort of slightly headachey heaviness and the light was pretty flat. Stopped of at the ESF office to pick up the 3eme etoile badge for Josh that I've kept meaning to get and on a bit of a whim booked myself into group lessons for next week. It's about time for a bit more input and as importantly Robthenav is back in Blighty next week, The Bogee will be in school and while a day or two of solo skiing is fine but not sure a whole week is quite so attractive.

Anyway, with a few hours to kill, the order of the day today was 'piste ticking'. In January it seemed like we had forever to get round to skiing the more out of the way slopes, or in my case the more exposed to the eyes of the telecabine and chairlift travellers - I really hate the Valamonts slope, not because there's anything difficult about it but because I feel so 'watched' even though I know from being the chairlift traveller that all eyes are actually on the mogul field directly below it where all the worthwhile casualties are claimed. Anyway, suddenly with a bit of warmer weather upon us and the end of february looming it suddenly seems more 'urgent' to not just go 'the way we always go'. So today, I avoided most of the 'old favourites' and went about the task of ticking off all the reds from Mont d'arbois - Pylones and The Stade were really mushy! followed by the Princesse black then after lunch all the reds off Mont Joux rounded off with Michel Dujon (another highly visible but not very black, black) and finally the red Vardasse, which gave me no end of trouble last year and hence has been avoided until today -when it seemed ridiculously straightforward

Tonight we're launching tourist mode again and off to support the ESF extravaganza and fireworks at Bettex and indulge in some Tartiflette which has been essentially lacking from the diet in deference to maintaining the same pair of salopettes for the season. (The red wine box permanently parked on the end of the kitchen unit really ought to be dismissed too!)
snow report
bonjour Annie, ha ha lol, ski close to door!!!!!!! no bro had it booked a while ago for a nice suprise for his wife for their third trip of the season & they kindly offered us to tag along so we gladly did prior to our first EoSB (have i mentioned this already???)

i think you're going to have an influx of people coming now after what i've told them wink Toofy Grin

one thinks that having a damaged cartilage & ligiment one would stay in & put your feet up to rest but i'm affraid the lure of drinking out in town with m8's for the first time in ages has coronawithlime 'out on the lash' with the girlies & me home alone Sad although i get to watch whatever i want on the planner without any nagging (sorry) wink

glad the weather has turned good when we left but if i was you i'd make the most of it as looks as though your guna get a big dump of snow next week & its saying saint gervais is guna get around 19cm on both upper & lower slopes & around 15cm in resort on thurs being the worst day!!!!!!

keep up the good work with yor posts Annie, i am sure i wont be the only one keeping my eyes open looking forward the reading them Very Happy
snow report
Hey (: im really sorry to go off subject,
im new and dont get it NehNeh ... could you tell me a bit about st gervais please like food prices location ect ?
thanks Jaz Smile
ski holidays
I wonder what ever happened to Anne??
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy