Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort Advice to a Newbie, Weekend trip and close to Geneva :)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm planning a ski trip over a long weekend in January. I have never skied before and I'm clueless about where to go. I'll be leaving on Thursday and coming back on Monday. I live in Wales and so really want to fly from Cardiff or Bristol(I can't stomach another trek down the M4 to Heathrow etc). I found that flying to Geneva Airport would fit in nicely with our plans. I'd like a resort that is friendly and accessible to new skiers, picturesque, atmospheric, has some cool restaurants and bars(although not the skiing equivalent of Ibiza) and maybe some shopping. This is probably too much to ask(I expect to make some compromises), but any advice would be most appreciated. Thanks....And Happy Skiing.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rob75, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead You'll need a short transfer so as to avoid wasting time which could be spent learning to ski! If you can afford the time, a week in January would not cost much more than a long weekend (which stretches across two letting weeks) and as you can spend the first few days of ski school sitting on the snow, rather than skiing, you could just be getting the hang of it and have to go home!

Failing this, good resorts to consider are Samoens, Morillon, Les Carroz (all Grand Massif, less than an hour from Geneva), Les Gets or Morzine (slightly longer transfer), St Gervais, Les Contamines, Grand Bornand, La Clusaz. As for shopping, depends what you are looking for - most alpine villages sell local specialties (food and crafts), general grocery shops and ski gear and not much else.

Let me know if you need more help. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rob75, welcome to sH! In ski terms, Les Gets would fit the bill well - about an hour's drive from Geneva, lots of blue runs and some great instructors (I had a lot of lessons from Nicholas at Ecole Ski Plus when I used to ski there). It has some decent restaurants on and off the mountain - La Croix Blanche is my favourite on the mountain, there's also a great pizza place up there though I've forgotten the name; in the village, Le Pic does terrific steaks, Le Tourbillon is also good though they do a side dish of mixed veg which is too soggy for my taste, I can't remember the name of the pancake place though that's good too. Some OK bars - the Irish bar, the Boomerang. It is a proper village rather than a purpose-built resort, and there are some shops though nothing fancy. The compromise would be the word 'cool' - I wouldn't rate it as that! It's quite a family resort, but since you're going outside of half-term, that shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy - once the bug has got you, your disposable income will be compromised for years!! snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob, I agree with Anniepen on all selections, however if you are beginner the Nursery slopes at Samoen are the best I have ever seen. Wide, smooth , flat, sunny (when its out), and pretty much snow certain. The village is good too, although limited to the obvious.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or if wanting something a bit more upmarket - Megeve. One of the classiest French resorts. Stunning scenery, very fancy shopping and more top restaurants than you can shake a stick at.

However, the single most important thing - rather than anything you mentioned - is some quality instruction. You could try British Alpine Ski School in Les Gets and/or Morzine. But I agree that a week would be a far better bet, not much more expensive and much easier to arrange. Even quite experienced skiers find weekends hard work.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree and disagree.I have been skiing for 3 years now and my first trip was to Samoens.Lovely, traditional french town with an array of quiet bars and restaurants to choose from and a sprinkling of shops. On the ski side, limited to a couple of flat greens ( literally 2 slopes ) so you are forced to tackle blue which on your first time of skiing with no instruction is a scary prospect.The boys used to go off all over the place but I was very restricted as to where i could manage.We used to alternate between Samoens and Morillon - there was an easy green/blue there which i liked to ski, can't remember the name,sorry.Re-visited Samoens the next year with friends and managed some blues but not confidently and they decided to take me to the top of Flaine and make me ski back down.Must admit it provided me with quite a tale to tell and if you never push the boundaries then you'll never get to see all the terrain.Last year went to Pila - loved it - wide,easy blues and tackled some wide reds. this year off to Morzine and next will probably go back to samoens to try and ski down from the top of Flaine with a bit more skill than I did last time - ie. not on my back bottom.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Remebered - the Marvel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Or if wanting something a bit more upmarket - Megeve. One of the classiest French resorts. Stunning scenery, very fancy shopping and more top .

Megeve is good for people watching. More fur coats and swish shops (Hermes) than seen in resorts I have been too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy