Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

strapping boards to a roofrack, with no 'carrier'

Poster: A snowHead
I'm borrowing my dad's A6 estate to drive down to les arcs for the last week of jan. Usually I drive down in my van and stick the boards in the back (acres of room!); this time, they are going to have to go on the roof as we'll be sitting inside in luxury.

He has Thule aero roof bars already, and I could shell out £50 for a ski carrier - but I don't want to throw money away for no reason. They will only be on the roof for the drive down and back, not every day, and I don't know when I will next use then since I don't even own a vehicle they are suitable for.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't wrap the boards in bubble wrap and strap them to the bars with ratchet straps?

Dave
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
alfabus, Thick plastic sheeting would be fine with some padding on the bars. Bubble wrap is a bit flimsy and could well shred in the wind.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
alfabus,

foam/insulation tubing ( v cheap from any DIY shop) on the bars and some good straps and off you go...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cheers guys; i'll bodge something up and head off into the sunset.

snow fever is really setting in now! can't do any work - thinking about boarding too much!!! Very Happy

now to buy some snow chains.... rolling eyes

Dave
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
remember that the boards raised tips should be downward !!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
.. and remember NO loose strapping or protection. Don't want to mark the paintwork
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gazza2 wrote:
remember that the boards raised tips should be downward !!!!!

Does that mean I need to remove the bindings? I doubt there will be clearance between the deck and the roof with the boards inverted.

Dave
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alfabus, security may be an issue though !
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rayscoops, we shouldn't have any security problems; the only time the car will be left alone is on the ferry... other than that they'll have to run bloody fast to keep up and nick the boards Laughing

Dave
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
alfabus, so that is for how many hours on the ferry? in the dark? toilet stops? it would be quite easy and take seconds to cut the straps with a Stanley knife, just a thought wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, sounds like a man who knows wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rayscoops, you have far too much paranoia; there aren't any organised gangs lying in wait in freezing cold aires to steal my scratched up board!!

There will be 4 of us in the car - in your honour, we will stagger our toilet breaks, and i'll get one of the rear passengers to stick their head out of the window at all times on the autoroute so they can watch the boards to make sure roadrunner doesn't make off with them using his trust stanley knife wink

my insurance will cover them being stolen no matter where they are or how unattended they are, so no bother anyway Toofy Grin

Dave
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alfabus, I'd take the bindings off, but I wouldn't bother with plastic wrapping or bubble wrap or anything like that, which at high speeds is quite likely to shred and will certainly increase both wind noise and fuel consumption. They won't come to any harm. I wouldn't use ratchet straps either, I'd use light rope, but then I'm a sailor and good with knots. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Drove down to Andorra last Feb with with board and two sets skis "naked" on roof bars. Bindings still on but cinched up tight, and tip down. No probs apart from a lot of dead flies, that came off after couple of runs.

One very important point. Place some rubber tube etc over the boards edges where the straps lie and make sure it can't wriggle out.

I presume your edges are sharp? Otherwise you may be picking it outta the windscreen of Pierre's Renault following you.

John.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
alfabus wrote:
rayscoops, you have far too much paranoia; there aren't any organised gangs lying in wait in freezing cold aires to steal my scratched up board!!

there are. This season is worse than ever. We had the police in the shop yesterday with posters telling people to split skis at lunch time, not to leave them outside bars and dont leave them on the roof of your car.
latest report
stab, but that is in resort... i'll be driving into arc 1800 and straight into an underground car park where i'll unpack...

no doubt boards would be vulnerable on a roof if the car was parked unattended anywhere, but I am talking about strapping them to the roof, driving to the alps and then taking them off and tying them to my feet for some sliding about, they're not going anywhere.

this is coming from someone who had his previous board nicked from inside a locked ski locker, so i should probably be paranoid, but in this circumstance it is unnecessary worry.

thanks for all your words everyone... since this is snowHeads, i expect that this thread will go on and on for ever until it turns into an argument about the relative merits of flows; however, this will not trouble me because I have now got all the info I need.

commence argument! wink

Dave
snow conditions
alfabus, you have obviously never been to Swansea east before Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy