Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

slope angle article/avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar wrote:

Yes, I appreciate that. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people think is "low angle terrain". If the steepest pitch of the Face du Bellevarde is 28º it's only beginning to get into the steepness where slab avalanches normally can occur. Or am I mis-understanding things?

I would have to find the post on sH where I gave the exact figure I measured on la Face - but don't forget that a lot of the off piste surrounding the run is steeper. If you ski down through the avalanche protection it is more like 35 degrees and very likely to slide, ditto for the off piste off to skiers right (banane etc?).

To extend on what you said above what is important on la Face when the risk is 3..5 as on any route, are the slopes above you as well as the one you are on.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you place one pole vertical and the other horizontal, each with a tip touching the snow, and the handles together, then the snow angle is 45 deg. It assumes you can approximate the vertical and horizontal accurately. I have graduated my poles to also show 40deg, 35, 30 etc.as I slide the horizontal pole downwards. I am sure I have recorded 35deg in a couloir in la Grave and the same on Orientation in Val . These were on the steep bits, and only a short length of reading.
philingle, has some strong credentials so I will not pontificate but I will test out my angles whilst away this season. I feel some of his angles are more likely to be averaged over longer parts of the slope or even overall. It's the brown stain bits we are really wanting to notch up. Might even buy one of those gadgets Achilles mentioned early in the thread.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
It is often a misconception that they act as 'pins' to stabalise the snow. This is wrong, the air gap that forms around the rock allows cold air to get closer to the ground, so increasing the temperature gradient and the creating depth hoar, so they are weak points.

If you have a rock in the ground it has three effects:

i. it conducts heat into the snowpack leading to a strong TG
ii. the snowpack surrounding the rock is thinner leading to a strong TG - this is why you often get goblet where there are rock outcrops and this is why you will get air pockets - I've never heard the cold air theory, maybe you have a reference?
iii. it is a stress concentrator and can aid triggering (thinner snowpacks are weaker snowpacks).

That said, if you had a choice between a large field of slabby looking snow and scrambling up some rocks I would probably favour the rocks but I would be very wary of the snow immediately below the rocks. It comes down to a judgment call on the actual conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
davidof wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Yes, I appreciate that. I'm just trying to get a feel for what people think is "low angle terrain". If the steepest pitch of the Face du Bellevarde is 28º it's only beginning to get into the steepness where slab avalanches normally can occur. Or am I mis-understanding things?

I would have to find the post on sH where I gave the exact figure I measured on la Face - but don't forget that a lot of the off piste surrounding the run is steeper. If you ski down through the avalanche protection it is more like 35 degrees and very likely to slide, ditto for the off piste off to skiers right (banane etc?).

To extend on what you said above what is important on la Face when the risk is 3..5 as on any route, are the slopes above you as well as the one you are on.

Yes, I appreciate that. I'm not going to blindly ski any slope that feels "black-like" regardless of what is above or near it. Just trying to get a feel for these things so that I'm appropriately cautious, not over-cautious.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:

Yes, I appreciate that.

I realize that is common sense for a lot of people I was just rounding out the story you'd started (although I see Phil posted a similar thing).

The most dangerous thing about back country skiing is we get too much positive feedback - most trips pass without incident and one can begin to believe that one's knowledge rather than a dose of luck, had something to do with that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof wrote:
I realize that is common sense for a lot of people I was just rounding out the story you'd started (although I see Phil posted a similar thing).

And I'm grateful to both of you Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cold air is what causes a strong Temperature Gradient (TG).

TG is only applicable on a layer by layer basis in the snow. and it is the difference in the temperature between the top of the layer and the bottom of the layer divided by the thickness of the layer.

In any snow pack over around 10cm deep the ground is at 0 degrees C, then the temp gets colder as you get further away from the ground. if you have plenty of layers of snow between the ground and the cold air then the TG in each layer will be low. This is good, it tends to the creation of 'grins fins' or fine grains, symbolised by a dot on snow charts. which form stable snow.
a medium gradient in any layer (between 5 and 20 degrees C per meter) will lead to the creation of 'faces plane' or plates, symbolised by a square. these can create a weak layer, but here the process is reversible if the TG drops again.
a strong TG is when there is more than 20 degrees per meter, this will lead to the creation of 'goblets' or depth hoar (or surface hoar) symbolised by a V shape. This process is irreversible, and they are there for the season. and are a very weak layer.

If there is an air gap down the side of the rock, then there is less snow to insulate the lower layers and hence a greater TG will be generated in these lower layers.

similarly if there is a small amount of snow and cold weather the TG will be high. So a thin layer of snow followed by a long cold period at the begining of the winter is a disaster, you get a high TG and irreversible creation of goblets that will be a weak layer near the base all winter.

A large dump of snow at the begining of the season, like this year, is much better, because the TG will be low in that base layer, whatever you throw at it later. That doesnt stop you having another small snowfall and cold spell and creating a weak layer higher up mind.

Warm air is all good, it causes a low temp gradient and hence good sintering of fine grains.

refs
http://www.crdp.ac-grenoble.fr/neige/docs/traduc/snow_en.pdf - very good article
http://www.anpnc.com/recueil/chapitre%203-p24-36.htm - good diagrams
http://www.anena.org/savoir/nivologie/nivologie_connaissance_de_base_suite.html - a bit simplified
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof wrote:
too much positive feedback - most trips pass without incident

indeed, 95 percent of snow that falls is stable and will never avalanche. So someone going out at random with no idea what they are doing at all will come home witout incident 19 times out of 20
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philingle, nice links there, cheers.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good stuff on this thread. I agree that sustained 30 degrees is unusually steep for a piste, black or not. I'd have thought that the pitch of black runs was typically in the 20s excluding a flatter run-out at the bottom.

Personally, I've always found that 40 degs feels flippin steep and I don't think I've skied anything steeper than 45.

What sort of angle do you need to get slough going? Don't think I've ever managed that on-piste (obviously un-pisted!).

J
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
philingle wrote:

If there is an air gap down the side of the rock, then there is less snow to insulate the lower layers and hence a greater TG will be generated in these lower layers.

Yes, I don't really agree with your explanation.

If there is cold air above the snow and cold air below the snow you don't have a TG.

What causes depth hoar around rocks is the face that you have cold air above the snow and warm rock below the snow and frequently a thinner snow-pack over the rock outcrop. The transformation of the grains into facets (gobelet) and the geothermic energy melts the lower layers of slow leaving the hollows. You end up with more depth hoar surrounding rocks and a poorly anchored snow-pack.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
What sort of angle do you need to get slough going? Don't think I've ever managed that on-piste (obviously un-pisted!).J

As I mentioned earlier, the snow on Glencoe's 'Spring Run' frequently sluffs a few feet but not when as well skied as in this picture. It's about 25 degrees gradient average but has a couple of steeper bits.

Spring Run a 'red' at about 25 degrees sluffs in fresh or heavy spring snow.

Fly Paper a 'black' at 40 degrees avalanches in fresh snow.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I was in an avalanche I reckon we were on a slope of less than 30º, but the last of our party skied a slightly steeper bit further up which we had missed and the slab he released collected much of the less steep snow below (and us) and the whole thing finally ran out of steam after 300yds as the slope got less and less steep further down
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many Recta compasses also include a clinometer.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 2-02-12 13:00; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
here are some images to clarify the temperature gradient

in this first image we have a snow pack that is 75cm deep with three layers in it. the layer on the ground is 20cm deep and the temperature difference between the top and the bottom of the layer is 1 degree, so the gradient is 5 degrees per meter,
the next layer is 15cm thick with a temp diff of 2 degrees so a gradient of 13 degrees per meter
the top layer is 40cm thick with a surface temp of -10 so a temp difference of 7 degrees giving a gradient of 17.5 degrees per meter.
All three gradients are in the medium range.

now throw a rock into the mix. an air gap forms between the rock and the snowpack, so the surface temperature of -10 gets all the way down into the snow pack at the edge of the rock (my blue line). So the temp where i have put a red blob is -10. the temp where i have put a green blob is still -1, the distance between the two points is still 15cm so now we have a gradient of 60 degrees per meter, very high and will create goblets. Basically the whole area next to the rock has the cold -10 surface air next to it and not far away the warmer buried layers of snow. This is why you get a large gradient next to the rock. Cold surface air gets near warm ground effect.
ski holidays
I was just interested in what a 30 degree slope would compare with on piste, so basically if off piste and you look at a slope and think .... mmmm ...... maybe a red or an easy black if it was a piste, then it is probable that the slope is 25 degress or less, and below of the 30 degrees avalanche 'rule of thumb' which is nice to know.
latest report
Interesting diagram, I must admit I've never seen snow that falls in rectangular blocks like that Happy.
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/32b9m7CeJfQ

Or do it Russian style: Start avalanche; Stand in path.
snow conditions
You can check slope angles for most of the western U.S. using this website

www.backcountrymap.com
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy