Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why is it so uncool to wear sunglasses with a helmet?

Poster: A snowHead
arv, I'd heard that you've never actually left Scotland & that you just wore your goggles on the sunbed so you'd looked like you'd done a season Laughing
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
spyderjon, sadly you would be right Embarassed
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sharon1953 wrote:
Spent 2 weeks skiing in glorious spring sunshine on the slopes last season, would have looked very “uncool” in goggles, definite overkill; as for accidents wearing sunnies, sounds like that old story “and if they’d been wearing a seat belt...they would have died...” which was often quoted by the die-hard anti-seat belt brigade! wink

I can’t say I've seen many people wearing goggles in bright sunshine, with or without a helmet, as most people buy only one pair (usually for flat or dull light), if they aren’t reactolite, or have interchangeable lenses, they certainly won’t be protecting the eyes against glare! Shocked

Funny enough I have the Oakleys with the lowish light Persimmon lens and I found that although in bright sunshine you do get a little glare they still take much of the edge off and still have the UV protection.

I have to admit it... I have a close fitting pair of sunnies with a nice blue lens that I wear under a full face motorbike lid. I often ride in the evening and like to be able to pop them in my pocket. Also, being a contact lense wearer they allow me to pop the visor up a touch at times but still avoid dust and air blast affecting my eyes.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops, so what your saying is all those people who have to wear glasses for poor eyesight, under their goggles, are not going to have a problem if they get hit in the face, but my lightweight plastic sunnies, with plastic lenses are going to take an eye out? I guess I better make sure I only ever fall sideways or backwards, and only get hit by a skier/boarder from behind...then again, I might get hit in the face by a chair lift if I fall when dismounting... if I look backwards! Confused
Without statistics to back up your argument, it's just speculation that plastic sunglasses cause more 'facial' accidents than goggles, when wearing a skiing helmet...unless of course you have the figures to hand wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sharon1953 wrote:
I can’t say I've seen many people wearing goggles in bright sunshine, with or without a helmet, as most people buy only one pair (usually for flat or dull light), if they aren’t reactolite, or have interchangeable lenses, they certainly won’t be protecting the eyes against glare! Shocked

I often wear goggles in bright sunlight. Much better at stopping the wind rushing into your eyes (if I'm skiing quickly my eyes water if I'm only wearing glasses). I also prefer goggles to glasses if I headplant in deep snow. They do a much better job of keeping the snow out of your eyes.

BTW, protecting your eyes from glare has got nothing to do with the tint of the glasses/goggles. You need to cut down the transmission of UV light not reduce the amount of visible light if you are going to protect your eyes from snowblindness or the increased risk of cataracts in later life.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
......... I also prefer goggles to glasses if I headplant in deep snow. They do a much better job of keeping the snow out of your eyes............

I prefer wearing sunnies. That said, you make a good point about hassle after a headplant. It can also be a major hassle clearing the snow from the glasses before skiing on. Sounds simple, doesn't it? A couple of quick wipes and you are away. Except it isn't simple. You have to dig out the glasses bag - or whatever you want to wipe them with, then clear the glasses back to a dry state before you can proceed. It can take a surprising amount of time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I never realised until now it was something I needed to worry about. Puzzled Je suis une gaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Well I meant “glare” as in not being dark enough to create definition, I have two different pairs of goggles and whilst one does act like a category 4 pair of sun glasses, because they change depending on the light conditions, the others certainly would not be correct for strong sunlight, not because of the UV aspect, (you can get clear lenses that do that) but because they are designed to let a greater percentage of light through for flat to low light conditions. If one lens colour was designed for all light conditions, we wouldn’t have all the different filter colours that the top manufactures make, or lenses you can change. As for snow under my sunnies, not happened yet so can’t comment, and I've never gone so fast that the wind becomes a problem, but I've seen sunnies with a foam backing, which I would think would make them quite a close fit. All said and done, it’s personal choice, like front or back entry ski boots, two or one piece ski outfits!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alexandra, It's not Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sharon1953 wrote:
All said and done, it’s personal choice, like front or back entry ski boots, two or one piece ski outfits!

Indeed it is. No right or wrong answer, even in the "cool stakes".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
sharon1953 wrote:

I often wear goggles in bright sunlight. Much better at stopping the wind rushing into your eyes (if I'm skiing quickly my eyes water if I'm only wearing glasses).

I don't have any problems with eye watering while skiing with sunglasses, I think it's more down to the fit and design of the glasses. After a face plant, I'd probably stop and have to take off the goggles or glasses and dry them off, the snow always gets everywhere. Glasses are faster to clear the snow from, in my case Adidas Sheilds, 10 seconds and they're sorted. Getting snow from the inside of goggles is a pain.
I'll stick with Goggles for flat light, trees and precipitation. Glasses for when the sun's shining. Helmet all the time, with/without ear flaps. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderman, absolutely agree, in every respect. (It takes me for EVER to clear goggles when I faceplant.)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'll stick with Goggles for flat light, trees and precipitation. Glasses for when the sun's shining. Helmet all the time, with/without ear flaps

works for me as well...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, I use these:

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/ski-gee-goggle-wipers.aspx

absolutely vital when skiing though manmade snow as the cannon are going off.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I do the majority of my skiing in prescription sunnies - I personally don't much like goggles and the lack of periferal vision that results from the 'sides' in their build. With specs, although not in focus it does give you an awareness that there could be someone close and although that awareness might only be a split second it may help to avoid a collision
snow conditions
comprex, what a cunning little object! Toofy Grin
latest report
comprex wrote:
Hurtle, I use these:

http://www.daddiesboardshop.com/ski-gee-goggle-wipers.aspx

absolutely vital when skiing though manmade snow as the cannon are going off.

Is that to scrape ice off the lens? Won't it scratch?
snow report
I had some Gloves with a Wiper Blade on the index finger, worked very well until I forgot and wiped my nose with it, ended up with a twin blade laceration and claret everywhere. Embarassed
ski holidays
rob@rar, looks like a miniature 'squeegee' to me, ie designed for glass etc
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, looks like a miniature 'squeegee' to me, ie designed for glass etc

I scratched a pair of goggles quite badly once by trying to clear them of ice with a lens cloth. I'd take a lot of care with claring snow which has frozen to glasses or goggles.
snow report
comprex, The motorcycle industry has had that product sussed for years: http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/27324
latest report
rob@rar, the vee wipe is designed for polycarbonate motorcycle visors it doesn't scratch those - the softness/strength aspect is about right
snow report
Megamum, it was the ice that scratched the lens.
ski holidays
rob@rar, I can see that could be a problem - can't think of a solution apart from maybe coating the lens with something that might stop the ice from sticking in the first place - could they be polished with something like a light oil based substance.
latest report
Megamum wrote:
...could they be polished with something like a light oil based substance.

Might have the added advantage of smudging the view of the oncoming piste.. giving the illusion it's easy too Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Schuss in Boots, LOL but hey, it was serious suggestion - you can get a high gloss finish using something like fairy liquid and it stops goggles misting up. Maybe something like a was polish could be buffed to a high gloss finish and would help in the prevention of the adherence of ice - of course you'd have to check that it wouldn't harm the lenses, but there must be something out there that would repell the water. Something like a turtle wax that you use on cars might work - after all think how the water beads on a windscreen after a car wash.
latest report
Megamum, there is already an industry that knows all about these antifog and antifrost coatings on plastic, do you know what it is?

rob@rar wrote:

Is that to scrape ice off the lens? Won't it scratch?

Hasn't yet, after ~15 seasons.
latest report
Megamum, I use Rain-X on my Goggles and Sunglasses. Have been using it for years. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, tried it on bath mirrors yet?
ski holidays
After all these horror stories this season, I decided to snap up an R.E.D. theory helmet this weekend. There's a 'goggle gasket' on it to cover up the 'gape'. Does that mean I can wear shades with it on a sunny day? Confused
latest report
comprex wrote:
Spyderman, tried it on bath mirrors yet?

Not yet. Works good on the Landy too, stops the mud from sticking to the glass.
snow conditions
Spyderman, my point to Megamum earlier was that sports applications are rather secondary to all these coatings: the meat packing industry did more research on this in the 70s and 80s than anyone before or since. For the simple reason that people don't buy fogged or frosted meat from the butcher case.
ski holidays
Quote:

All said and done, it’s personal choice, like front or back entry ski boots, two or one piece ski outfits!

Aha! I think I can help you out here.

Yes it is a personal choice but that does not mean there is not a right or worng answer - it's just your right to be wrong (if you see what I mean). Hence:

raer entry boots - WRONG
one piece suits - WRONG
sun glasses with helmets - WRONG

Glad that's settled

wink

J
snow conditions
A better analogy

It's like socks with sandals!
ski holidays
jedster,
Quote:

It's like socks with sandals!

Ouch, whether or not i think sunglasses and helmets are okay if it is in anyway shape or form related to socks n' sandals its definately uncool..... Laughing
ski holidays
skimottaret, my sentiments entirely. Even though I fail two out of jedster's three tests, there are limits beyond which even I will not go. Laughing
ski holidays
Hurtle, you wear rear-entry boots Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
now that's settled can we start a thread on why grass is green now?
snow conditions
comprex, no, nor have I ever worn them - but I've got a well-publicised fartbag! Laughing
snow report
Hurtle, that's ok, I was counting that one. You can even put knee flags on for street cred.

DON'T tell me you wear sunnies under a helmet! Where is that contemptuously aghast slightly nauseated smiley?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy