Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Angles, angles, angles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We've got the waxing threads at boiling point now. Who knew you could get two pages out of waxing, let alone brushing the wax...

Base grinds were brought up, and it got me thinking about angles.

Now, for reasons known only to the manufacturers of tuning equipment, there are a number of ways (it would appear) to measure angles, in particular the side bevel... 93, 3, or 87? I suppose these angles all make perfect sense, as they are all correct, depending upon where you measure from and to and on which bit of kit you measure the angle (ski or guide). It would be nice if they could all agree on one type - although the 1/2/3 format seems to be prevelent.

Anyway, I have a 0.7deg base bevel and 3deg side bevel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon wrote:
....Anyway, I have a 0.7deg base bevel and 3deg side bevel.

Cool

A 0.7 base edge is ideal (it would have to be set after a grind on a factory 1 degree base) as it's not too aggressive & allows some fettling up to 1 degree if the edge takes a beating & thus saves on unnecessary ginds.

A well maintained 3 side edge is the way to go - plenty of grip when you need it with no downside re durability or material loss. You never know when you'll need good edges until you need them & on hardpack/ice you need a sharp edge at a sharp angle. A few years ago if you didn't own Atomic or Fischer skis then you'd have to trim back the skis sidewall to set a 3 degree edge however as pretty much every new ski these days is shipped with it's sidewall flush with the edge you're gonna need to strip it back anyway so there's no downside here either.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, Next season I am looking to get a grind done on my GS skis so that I can change the base to 0.5deg with 0.7deg tips/tails, 'cos hopefully I'll pushing them (and myself) a lot more than this season.

I've started doing my side edges at least once a week now (even if just with a diamond stone), but when I'm training properly it's twice a week.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skisimon wrote:
.......I've started doing my side edges at least once a week now (even if just with a diamond stone), but when I'm training properly it's twice a week.

Not every run? rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing Even after the CSCF course I'm not that obsessive. (Would be if I was actually competing in something serious though...)

I have always got a gummi stone thing in my pocket though; a light pass to check any burrs occassionally seems to be enough between a proper check.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon, You mean you don't stop halfway down Shocked
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe you would want them grippy and maybe you don't... It isn't so hard to cope with 1.1 for the whole hill if they are reasonably tuned...

If you are running gates, then you'd be on a dedicated ski and would want the best edge set...whether that was you or the skis.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm training properly it's twice a week

i did edges every night if it is icy or if rocks are sneaking through when on courses or training Shocked once a week on hols Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

I'm training properly it's twice a week

i did edges every night if it is icy or if rocks are sneaking through when on courses or training Shocked once a week on hols Toofy Grin

On a slalom course last season I did edges every night. Skiing on blue ice I needed all the help I could get...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Atm..I run an combined edge angle of 89.5...(0.5, 1 which is slightly better than 1,1 and I find that they need to be 'diamoned' every other day.
With my skis on glazed snow, I wouldn't say this is great but it does get you to work them.

Stocklis are factory set at 1,2 which is an 89 combined angle, for example.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I use 0.5 base, 1.0 side but there ain't much hardpack out in BC Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy