Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland Snowheads in March (or April)

Poster: A snowHead
I just came back from 3 nights in Fort William with Mrs snowball in a lovely Hotel with Michelin listed restaurant (The Lime Tree).
There was no skiing available and the slopes were bare (just a few disjointed streaks of white stuff visible in the gulleys on upper slopes).

However the proprietor of my Hotel is an UIAGM mountain guide (David Wilson) and he showed me on my map a route I rather fancy trying when (if) a group of us snowHead go up late in the season. Perhaps we could hire him for an afternoon if there is enough snow. He says there is often enough snow to ski all the way down because snow tends to persist in the gulley (while on the front side the snow line is normally at about 600m or so (2000ft).

Anyone else fancy it? snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
possibly, depending on conditions etc. mind if i don't commit to the last minute? i'd be be pretty happy to give that a go sans guide if there is decent visibility
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not sure that I'd want to do the walk from Steall to the car park in ski boots on ice Toofy Grin Other than that it looks great. A beautiful area and a chance to get away from the lifts.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowball, I might be up for it at the end of March. Although I would be packing a decent set of walking boots for that last walk...
snow report
 brian
brian
Elizabeth B, the Steall wire bridge would be v entertaining with ski boots as well (don't need to cross it for snowball's route) ...

I'm another possible but won't commit until last minute. Actually, I'd have thought there were enough variations of the Nevis back coires ending in traverses to lifts to keep us going without needing to head for Glen Nevis ?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Me too.. I thought the weather would dictate this would be a last minute throw-together thing but I am for it, in principle.

The last time we talked about this we could easily get a nice group. Happy without the guide and go with the flow
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, just standing by the bridge in summer usually provides entertainment as you will get someone who is terrified. I take groups of teenagers up there each summer, and we get them all on the bridge to pose for a photo....and then start shaking it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well perhaps, brian, especially if you haven't done them before. But thought it might make an interesting end to the last day (and a longer descent on snow than you can do in the main on/off piste areas.
And yes, Arno, we could, perhaps do it sans guide - depends a bit on conditions - I would hate to be caught in cloud or fog on that sharp ridge where the climb is supposed to start, or trying to find a ribbon of snow at the bottom.

And all this of course would be decided at the last moment - David said he could easily find us someone else if he wasn't free. And the whole outing, as we said before, would probably be decided the weekend before, or even later.

I've walked that bridge too. Good fun and the walk up from the car park beside the stream is a really nice one.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 1-01-09 17:56; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That route looks cool.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yup, I thought so. I'd wondered previously if it might be possible to ski into that valley.
For those who haven't been there the bridge is immediately to the right and below the arrow saying "Walk".
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

we get them all on the bridge to pose for a photo....and then start shaking it

Elizabeth B, That sounds a very 'evil' thing to do - remind me not to go walking with you Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's not that high off the ground. Only the adventurous ones make it as far across as the water, so it serves them right if they get wet Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds interesting - and skisimon's walking boot idea is a great one!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'll most likely be there but don't know about that tour. I have taken walking boots up and had a wander last winter - last Feb snow was boiler plate till the afternoon so went for a wander on the plateau where there was no snow -
Had a bit of trouble skiing with my boots in my ruck sack in the afternoon though - not used to such a heavy rucksack....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow, now that really is a lack of snow. Was there really anywhere you could ski?

By the way, those who haven't skied there, that's the bit I marked "Flat walk or skin" (looking North?).

Elizabeth B I assumed they were over the water when you shook them. Didn't most of them cross? I seem to remember the bit by the far bank is the deepest.
snow report
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h_?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=scotland+ski+mountaineering&x=20&y=26&tag=amz07b-21

Some excellent route's in this book David if you dont have allready

Regards Mark Very Happy
latest report
snowball, we usually have about 30 of us, to we take up the whole bridge.
latest report
Topsmoke, the first one looks interesting (though as a Londoner I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it). How much of it requires actual climbing skills, rather than just a steep (or not) plod up?
ski holidays
Hi,

The whole of the ski mountaineering in Scotland is ski touring,No climbing,Though it does list required kit crampons etc if needed.

Your route is in there but going the other way starting at the Glen Nevis car park and skinning up Sgurr a'Bhuic.

It's an excellent book with a few other routes including Ben Nevis itself which looks very nice. All with maps and detailed route text.
I can scan this in if your interested in taking a peep before you buy.

Carn Beag dearg , Carn Mor Dearg offer some nice 45 ish west facing slopes which tourers were playing on last year when I was there.They had traversed the ridge untill finding a nice looking decent.

I would definatly recommend you get the book,Well worth the read.

Regards Mark Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sounds interesting guys snowHead

I may well be interested if I'm able to get up so will keep an eye on the thread, have no experience of skinning though and have literally just started doing proper off piste (to mixed results!).

I also have the "Ski Mountaineering in Scotland" book which, as Mark says, is a great guide to routes in the area.

BTW, will be looking to do a weekender at some point in the not too distant future if conditions allow - boiler plate skiing happening at Cairngorm at the moment but the base is there come a decent dump Toofy Grin

Were you not tempted to head over to Cairngorm for a wee slide snowball?
latest report
roga, Yes, but I was with non-skiing Mrs snowball and on best behaviour so she will tolerate me taking a Scottish ski weekend in March, as well as my 3 1/2 weeks in the Alps and USA already booked.

Topsmoke, I was reacting to it being called "Ski Mountaineering".
What would be the point in doing the route the other way round- a long climb up a nice off piste slope and then ski down a piste you could have taken a lift up Puzzled

But yes, I would be interested in stuff from the book.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 3-01-09 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
snowball wrote:
What would be the point in doing the route the other way round- a long climb up a nice off piste slope and then ski down a piste you could have taken a lift up Puzzled

some ski mountaineers are much better at going up than down wink
latest report
I prefer to do the minimum up for the maximum fresh tracks down.
snow report
snowball wrote:

Topsmoke, I was reacting to it being called "Ski Mountaineering".

I've sent you the bits you might like to read.

Regards Mark
snow report
Also sounds v. interesting to me - depending on dates and other commitments. I'll keep an eye on the thread.
latest report
snowball wrote:
Wow, now that really is a lack of snow. Was there really anywhere you could ski?

By the way, those who haven't skied there, that's the bit I marked "Flat walk or skin" (looking North?).

The goose on the same day
latest report
II, looks like death cookies, how was it?
snow conditions
Topsmoke wrote:

I've sent you the bits you might like to read.

Regards Mark

Where? I've not had it as a PM or an email?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
One factor in doing the route the other way round was that it would have been a long wait for the Gondola when the book was published in 1987 as Nevis Range didn't open till 1989! Toofy Grin
snow report
Ah right, it was a very tiring and involved way of skiing the Goose!
snow conditions
I'd be up for it too snowball. BTW, here's a gradient plot of the trail from the summit to the road.

snow conditions
From summit tow? Seem to be too many ups and downs over the first part - very slight rise to by Easy Gulley (10 or 15 metres) then almost no change till a slight up to Aonach Mor summit (another 15m?), then gently downhill before the only proper climb (150m).
snow report
That's the vagaries of the contour mapping match to map in the software I suppose. Here is the map route that generated the contour ...

snow report
I could be interested as well got a bit of a gap in my winter itinerary in March.
snow report
moffatross, I think the software needs a rethink. Do it by hand and those 100 and 200m plunges near the start will vanish completely and you'll just have a steady descent. Clearly, your mapper was not following the line along the ridge - instead it took a couple of plunges off the cliff.
snow conditions
For those who didn't see those threads, this thread is a follow-up to several in which a March visit to Scotland was discussed (Mid and late March are normally the best for Scottish snow depth, though April was even better last year). The Various merits of Aviemore and Nevis were discussed (I in favour of Nevis because of the longer off-piste and back bowl descents). However snow conditions east v west may decide it if Aviemore (as now) has much more snow.
Again, for those who did not see it this was my Nevis Resort report (followed by my Trip-Report with photos) about the back-bowl skiing last April.
latest report
If anyone is REALLY skint (and hardy) I noticed at the new-year that the camp/caravan-site by the sea at Glencoe was open. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Serious dumping going on now and more forecast and it looks like the west is getting the best of it!

^ Not sure I'd want to camp but there are reasonably cheap log cabins in the area like Burnbank Lodges as well as static caravans for hire.

Mind you, I found these near Aviemore last night, Mountain Bear Lodge and Beaver Creek Lodge Cool , not half bad and not very expensive if you had a group. Only problem would be that once there you probably wouldn't want to go anywhere else! Laughing

Can you imagine what you'd pay for somewhere like that in France! Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy