Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips/Pointers for Skier Movement Analysis

Poster: A snowHead
I am doing a teaching course this month and I am hearing that a big reason for failure is the lack of ability to provide good constructive feedback for higher level skiers. I feel pretty confident about this but if anyone has any links for information or pointers on identifying faults on the hill and during video review i am all ears.....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No particular advice from me but when I'm looking at people skiing I like to start by trying to understand what their skis are doing, and how they're being manipulated. I think there's a danger of looking at the overall picture and being distracted by what they are doing with, for example, their arms or upper body or whether they in the 'right' position, and failing to understand if they are getting the fundamentals of ski technique right.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, Focus on the basics...as you would for teaching a beginner. Stance correct ? Required range of movement ? Uneeded movements, Rotation. Say what you see.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Rob yeah i always start at the snow and work my way up the chain. I guess what i was after was more situational suggestions and if this then prescribe that ideas for typical high end faults.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a framework that you always use, the basi elements are a good start, start from the feet and work up, end with flow.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Slight cross post, as for remedies you can`t go far wrong with drills as long as you get the right one for the issue at hand.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski, fair point and good suggestions... perhaps i am getting to technical in my thinking. Im just off two weeks of training and we did lots of video review over lunches and the trainers were quite good at getting everyone to contribute on what they were seeing.

I was kinda surprised at how bad some were at identifying faults. a few others that could see the faults had no suggestions on how to put things right. My second trainer was very much back to basics and pick one thing at a time to work on
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jbob wrote:
... end with flow.

That's a good suggestion. Will go down especially well with a few Trainers I skied with last season.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, Most people's faults are fairly basic, but look for the reason behind the symptom not just the cure for the symptom. If they have an A frame - why? What's happening to cause it? That sort of thing. Basics, basics, basics. good luck
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, did you get shaxted's teaching emails? I was too busy to do them myself but I know quite a few did do them and it did look like interesting stuff which I should get into when I have more time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
slikedges, no not at all.. from xscape? could you forward if you still have them scott@skimottaret.com
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimottaret, will look for them and forward all tomorrow wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, thanks... after Steve J left i havent gotten any training stuff...

are the little ones up on sunday? they get me this weekend and i have evil drills for them.... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret,

I agree with easiski, regarding Basics, Basics, Basics. I would also say do not teach anything you do not have a good understanding of & can demonstrate.
On my ISIA course people failed for trying to teach bumps, when they could not demonstrate what they were trying to teach & safety on a steep pitch which was unsuitable for the task.

The requirements for ISIA & ISTD are also very different. Which course are you doing?

Think about the performance threads and be prepared to teach something which is NOT Technical.

Good luck
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How to do Movement Analysis was very much lacking in my Anwarter course, but during our own video analysis it was really down to the words of rob@rar, easiski and stewart... Basics Basics Basics, from the bottom to the top (so focus to skis/feet first, then look higher up)

I think easiski has written several times on the forum... "Are the skis doing the right thing?"

slikedges, teaching emails Smile? I'm very interested in the movement analysis thing, as its imho really important and we got pretty much nothing of it during the anwarter.

skimottaret, good luck!
snow conditions
stewart woodward, Im doing the ISIA teach and tech back to back... good advice, i almost came unstuck on my coaching course by trying something too difficult. the trainer changed the piste on me at the last moment saying the easier gradient i was going to use was closed and i fell during one of the demos.... Laughing

I have been thinking about trying some a bit more unusual but as you say unless you've done it before it could backfire. Something like using the V.A.K. principles and do some eyes closed skiing or focus on sounds, tracks etc. but may play it safer, i do a lot of balance work/drills with kids so could fall back on that, we'll see....

I also have to admit to have never taught in the mountains, all my time has been on dry slopes and the last 18 months part time in a dome. I think that is going to cause me problems as well.... Embarassed

jbob, good idea on having a progression and finishing with the latest and greatest. I am thinking about trying something with teaching styles instead of just a command and copy doing something using self-check or group feedback...
latest report
I've been on the receiving end of numerous vid MA's from Warren Smith one of the first things he's always looking for is both ski's changing angles/edges simultaneously. If not, then why not etc.
latest report
skimottaret,

Quote:

all my time has been on dry slopes and the last 18 months part time in a dome

Not necessarily a bad thing. You'll have spent much more time at the bottom of the slope, watching your skiers, than you would in the mountains. I would NOT have too much of a plan on what too teach until you get there, once you've seen what your fellow coursemates can/cannot do, you can work from there. Basics and S-E-L are worth remembering wink
snow report
spyderjon, yeah good point and i am focusing a lot more on the top 1/3 of the turn when reviewing skiers edge changes as welll as range and rate of movement...

funny enough one of the trainers at MK used a WS video to pick him apart.... wink

ski, Im lucky in that i have been coaching very good kids for the last year, so get to see a lot of fine skiers and spend a fair amount of time giving feedback and just watching as opposed to loads of follow me or demoing... I am not trying to have a firm plan but a few ideas up my sleeve for sessions...

i do a lot of one legged skiing for balance with the mini's and can demo that stuff reasonably well and have been working on royals, charlestons etc so will use them as well. Should be okay on low level central theme as i do lots of it but sadly am still rubbish at Plough Parallels Embarassed ....
snow report
skimottaret, P S-G has always said to me, 'Look at the skis, what are they doing?' If the skis are doing good things, then the person on them is doing good things too, if they're not, look for what's causing the problems.
We looked at some Golf Pros taking shots in slow mo, at the point of contact between club and ball the frames looked identical, but the overall look of the swings was often very different. Don't be put off if what you see in a skiers movements doesn't fit the 'Model' in your head.
Look at the difference in skiing between someone like Bode Miller & Hermann Maier, both very different to watch, but equally effective.

Another tip is to change your viewing point when observing other skiers, don't always stand at the bottom of the hill and watch. I find it better to be half way down sometimes, so as to see the skier coming towards, side on and from behind also.
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
I am thinking about trying something with teaching styles instead of just a command and copy doing something using self-check or group feedback..

You will have to use different teaching styles, it is not an option wink also climate setting Very Happy
snow conditions
stewart woodward, sorry didnt phrase that right, was trying to come up with a few ideas to use for each of the teaching styles... What the heck is climate setting? Should i bring some crystals or fairy dust to sprinkle on the mock students snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
What the heck is climate setting?

Try reading your bible(sorry manual) wink

ps. A friend of yours is back from sick leave in Portugal & suggests SAFETY as a thought for all lessons wink
ski holidays
climate setting? Don't remember that last time i read the manual? Puzzled

skimottaret,
Quote:

I also have to admit to have never taught in the mountains, all my time has been on dry slopes and the last 18 months part time in a dome. I think that is going to cause me problems as well....

Funny, i was thinking about this last night - at first my teaching was all on the mountain, but in last year it's all been on artificial slopes. I was thinking to myself that i should get some more teaching practice on the mountain prior to my ISIA teach so the safety element becomes second nature again. No matter how good your lesson is you'll fail if you forget something basic like stopping below a ridge or choosing inappropriate terrain!
snow report
beanie1, glad i wasnt the only one to have missed the climate setting bits... will be boning up this week. Or having the Trainer change to inappropriate terrain and watch your carefully laid out lesson plan go wrong as you mess up the demos wink

stewart woodward, glad to hear she is back in action!!
snow conditions
skimottaret, yeah nightmare wasn't it, i don't think that'd happen in the teach though as you're being assessed.
ski holidays
had a great week and all the advice was very very very relevent and i used all of it to good effect.... many thanks... snowHead snowHead

even managed to pass
snow conditions
whit the new skis.....it is too easy ski.....so sometime watching just the skis.....is not enough......what is important for me (naturally also what they wrote before me) is change the arc during the video.......cause with the change of the ritme.....everyproblem arrive.......
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, so you passed?
ski holidays
beanie1, yup.. all got through even one who was useless which kinda shocked the rest of the group...
snow report
skimottaret, how useless is useless?
snow report
young racer very full of himself, done some coaching but no instructing. didnt make any changes to his skiing all week, on the wee wee and fell asleep in one session. hadnt read any of the material and couldnt answer a single question. cried off hurt second last afternoon with a dodgy knee and later admitted that he spent the time reading the manual so he could pass final day. three poor lessons and his last lesson to get his pass he stopped the group at the exit of a fun GS course in a beginners area and a kid skied into one of us... trainer passed him on a scraped through basis but makes you wonder sometimes about BASI fast tracking racers...

rest of group was very strong
ski holidays
skimottaret, he passed?! gosh!
snow report
beanie1, there is hope for you yet Razz
snow conditions
skimottaret, ha ha, just what i was thinking! My problem is i'd be just so nervous, i hate people watching me teach... The tech scares me a whole lot less!
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
even managed to pass

AWESOME!!

Well done. Who was your Trainer?
snow conditions
skimottaret, Well done mate Very Happy
snow report
beanie1, you would be fine...

rob@rar, jim lister, fantastic trainer.

only advice would be as per others above. keep it simple, use lots of teaching styles, be comfortable analysing ISIA level skiers and being able to make suggestions and feedback at that level, READ AND KNOW EVERYTHING IN THE MANUALs, Jim's knowledge was encyclopedic and he never stopped asking questions on the hill. just about ever lesson revolved around Central theme and have lots of ideas on how to deliver CT to ISIA level guys.
ski holidays
skimottaret, Does your Tech course start tomorrow?
snow report
Spyderman, yup, been sharpening edges and rubbing my knees today...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy