Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snowHead down-Update

Poster: A snowHead
JulesB, tight timescale. I think you can get almost an instant decision from an insurance company pre-screening service (on a week day). But the problem is the time taken for the consultant to view the scan, make a decision, and advise you. Good luck.

You could decide to come out anyway and not ski. PITA not being part of the fun directly - but I can think of worse things in life than sitting out on a terrace in the Alps and letting time pass by. But you would have to put up with everybody else telling you what a really great time they were having. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
achilles, not to mention send the letter. If he can't ski we'll go elsewhere, VT would not be the best place to be, I think we would rather be in Monetier, there would be more to do, and the accommodation would be free.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont wrote:
You certainly know how to give me a shock at this time on a Saturday morning!!! Obviously I left before the post arrived.
Hey, you two, get a room. Or a house. Or two houses. Toofy Grin Seriously, do hope that the timings fall into place for you, it would be a real bummer to miss the fun just because the decision comes through a few days late.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, we knew it was always going to be a bonus to be able to ski at all this season, but having been told it was fine,and that a letter was on the way made it all the more disappointing to find we can't make any plans now until 6th April.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
JulesB, Helen Beaumont, Well if you get out to the EOSB I'm sure you won't have to buy a drink for the first few days. Still have such good memories of the LG trip so will have to catch up.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scarpa, you are an inspiration. I will do my damnedest
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JulesB, Most importantly :-

- How is the Home Brew?
- How do you rate Tricia?

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, I left him at 8.30am this morning, filling up the barrel with sterilising fluid, so at least it will be clean...........
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Helen Beaumont, And what about the home brew? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, just about to start secondary fermentation. Should be ready in about 3 weeks. Still not sunk low enough for Tricia! You do realise that if I can't ski I will have to play table football instead?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JulesB, Naturally, I don't mind playing table footie .. but you are not allowed to practice beforehand. Toofy Grin

3 weeks for a drink ... now I feel sorry for you ! ( Did the forst fermentation taste ok wink )
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agenterre, Used to brew my own beer years ago. Tasted like old socks, and produced some seriously unpleasant reactions in my digestive tract, leading to some VERY pungent after effects, but at 5p a pint to get completely bladdered it was fanbloodytastic! Toofy Grin snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Axsman, Me too ... but in my case possibly the worst beer ever produced by man ... could have patented it and sold to dodgy chemists as a laxative though

......come to think of it Confused
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman, Agenterre, speaking from experience julesb's homebrew is usually very drinkable. I have been keeping my kitchen at a constant 18 degrees for the first fermentation. No kits used here, brewed with proper malt, hops, yeast, sugar and water. He made a particularly fine version of Belgian Chimay a few years ago, but it took 6 months maturing in the bottle.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 23-02-09 13:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Helen Beaumont, Aah 6 months in the bottle. Mine used to be lucky if it had finished bubbling before it got quaffed. This may have been the reason it was so digestively er, interesting Shocked Laughing
snow report
Axsman, it probably had too high a fermentation temperature and wasn't filtered sufficiently to remove all traces of yeast. A bit of ageing certainly improves it. I think there will be another batch as there are quite a few ingredients still lying around the house.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, Well if I ever take up the home brewing practice again, I'll bear in mind your advice and let it age for at least 6 days before necking it! Laughing snowHead
snow report
Coming next, my version of Pedigree. Unfortunately I don't save much money because I have to get the real thing to compare.
Tried to explain my predicament to Neurosurgery today. ie only 10 days from CT scan result to skiing holiday, but got a stroppy secretary who thought I was picking on her. She has a heavy work load and types letters up as fast as she can. It was one of those conversations which ran parallel but never seemed to meet.
Agenterre, it's not practice, it's re-habilitation Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Up again!

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I'd just like to thank all who helped us during my down, whether it be advice about neurosurgery, travel insurance, physiotherapy: getting in touch to see how we were getting on and offering support; or getting on a train and driving family and dog home for me (wonderful, crazy b*&%*%r). A really big thanks and I hope to see you soon for lots of drinks and skiiing. As long as everyone promises not to ski behind me.
Speaking of which, we will be in Serre Che from the 16th and in VT for a few days.

I went for CT scan today. You'd think I would be pleased, but it's just left me annoyed and frustrated. I had obviously expected to much. I thought the purpose of the visit was to see if bone had fused and to get the all clear. There was four hours between scan and consultation, which lasted 5 minutes and the wisdom imparted was that the vertebra was in the process of fusing!
I then asked about if I could ski (reply-suppose so. How did the accident happen?), and when could I mountain bike and play squash again, as most people had been saying it was too early. (in fact everyone had said this except me). The answer I got could not have been less committal if the consultant had put fingers in ears, hand over mouth and shown me a big sign saying, "not speaking"
I had more fruitful conversations with the consultant in France. He was French and didn't speak English.
If the guy didn't know, why could he not say so and point me to someone who might? Or at least do me the curtousy of explaining that no one can know.

Sorry. Promise not to rant into my beer next week Very Happy
ski holidays
JulesB, look on the bright side - at least you will be there to drink beer next week. snowHead Looking forward to meeting you and Helen again - last time was in Castleford yonks ago wasn't it?
ski holidays
JulesB, I did wonder how definitive a response you would get. Ultimately the metalwork is essentially to buy time for the bones to stick together (I'm sure you know this but other snowHead s may not) and radiological fusion (i.e. on the Xray or CT it looks to be solid) does not always corespond with clinical fusion (i.e. the fusion is no longer relying at all on the metalwork) and clinicians will therefore tend to advise "on the safe side" especially with such an important fracture to your health.

I'm not an orthopod (or at least haven't been since 1985!) but suspect that most people in the field would have given you a "do what you like" date of six months from the fusion. Sad

Looking forward to seeing you both in VT Very Happy
ski holidays
JulesB, looking forward to meeting you again Very Happy Like Yoda, I think it was Castleford.... but was it the same Castleford... date I mean, not place.... anyway, you like Genepi too I hear... Cool Little Angel Laughing
snow report
Michelle, I have met both yourself and Yoda, on separate occasions, both times at Castleford. I think julesb was with me both times. And I can confirm his appreciation of Genepi.
ski holidays
JulesB, speak to your physio, he will be far more positive.
latest report
Yoda wrote:
JulesB, look on the bright side - at least you will be there to drink beer next week. snowHead ...

And that has to be a result! All the best - see ya there. Very Happy
snow report
Nick L, I think the frustration is because the consultant insisted he have the CT scan before letting him know if he could ski next week or not. Then to come away without any real answers after hanging around all day. But that's hospitals for you.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, hmmm, fairly typical behaviour in my experience.
snow conditions
Nick L, and apparently the doc wasn't part of the usual team he saw last time, as consultant was doing emergency surgery. There is a locum neurosurgeon there at the moment, so it may have been him.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Michelle, I have met both yourself and Yoda, on separate occasions, both times at Castleford. I think julesb was with me both times. And I can confirm his appreciation of Genepi.

As this is the cause of some confusion in the AZ, I should just like to point out that I am genepi with a small g, & am not going to the EoSB Sad (reputation in tatters Shocked Laughing )
latest report
genepi, spoil sport. The gossip opportunities have been dashed!
snow conditions
genepi,

Laughing thought Helen Beaumont, was being very tollerant!!!

JulesB, hope you have a great time, regardless. I would certainly take the beer and views over GB, work etc. Enjoy
snow report
JulesB wrote:
it's just left me annoyed and frustrated
Damn right.
Your account of your experience on Monday makes me angry. Very. I would be ranting right beside you.
Customer service: null points.
I know you aint got much time to sort this out now, but next time:
1. Take with you a list of specific questions. Make sure you get answers. Write them down.
(some patients now come along with recorders - I kid you not)
2. If you see someone you don't know, ask them what their qualifications/expertise are, and where your usual consultant is.
If the doc you are lumbered with not expert in neck trauma then demand someone who is.
And make sure they are fully conversant with your case.

If the service you get is not satisfactory: make a fuss.
Doctors are not Gods or Royalty. Treat them as you would any other professional.
ski holidays
Jonpim,the doctor he saw yesterday has discharged him. There was also no mention of the laryngeal nerve palsy that happened during surgery.This seems to have recovered and his voice is back to normal, but the doctor concerned did not mention it at all. He obviously had not bothered to read the case notes, as when J asked him about skiing, he asked how the accident had happened !!! He would like some answers as to when it is safe to return to his usual sports, such as mountain biking and squash, I know they can't give him a precise answer, but to simply ignore the questions was inexcusable. As the CT scan was done at Mr Wynne-Jones insistence before saying he was OK to ski, I think the least they could have done was answer the questions they were asked.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 7-04-09 10:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
JulesB, You are now officially approved to :

- Ski
- Mountain Bike
- Play Squash
- Play Table Football
- Play Snooker and Pool
- Take Meg up steep hills
- Drink
- Drink to Excess ( apart from Genepi)
- Stop acting your age

Problem solved!
NEXT patient please!

wink

See you soon Twisted Evil
ski holidays
edit (double post) .. fat fingers .. (the lesbian's friend)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 7-04-09 10:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Helen Beaumont, I wonder if the unfortunate reticence is to do with the litigation culture.
latest report
laundryman ignoring the questions totally is still inexcusable.
snow report
Agenterre, that's all I needed, official conformation. Will I be able to sing and play the piano?
snow report
JulesB wrote:
. Will I be able to sing and play the piano?

Not unless the bang-on-the-head endowed you with talents that were sadly missing before Twisted Evil
snow conditions
JulesB, No, because you couldn't do either before you broke yer neck. Sorry about your consult, but dead chuffed you seem to be seriously on the mend Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy